Welcome to Gaia! ::

RoseSoul Tribe

Back to Guilds

this guild will be a community of RPing, Debate/Discussion, Art/Litterature, Contests and Fellowship. 

Tags: roleplaying, fantasy, contests, music, occult 

Reply RoseSoul Tribe Main Forum
Nomadic

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Figuren

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:47 pm
So I wasn't sure where to post this, but it's an idea I'd like to share.

I'm tired of waking up in the same bed, of staying in the same place. I'm really yearning for something different, and an end to my sedentary life. Right now I feel like I'm just waiting around for something to happen.

I'm toying with the idea of traveling for as long as I can, as cheaply as I can, just being a nomad -- hitch hiking, train hopping, staying with the people I meet in different areas, in forests, maybe even a cave, or elsewhere. Maybe I'll even hitch a ride on a boat, travel somewhere outside of north america. Who knows?
A lot of people do this kind of thing. Not a huge number but many, and I reeeeally want to try it. I think it suits me.

I'd like to do some wwoofing and maybe set some stuff up in advance through CouchSurfing (links if you're unfamiliar).

I think it'll be an awesome experience. I'm bound to meet lots of people, get riiight out of any kind of shell I have. I'll have some sleepless nights, some missed meals, but I'll be living without all the constraints, moving with only as much as I can carry on my back. And food is always around -- if just in limited amounts -- if you know where to look. People throw away so much of it, and it's wherever you go in the wild.
Maybe I'll post updates as I go, though that won't be for a while yet (probably at the end of this coming summer).
I think I'm gonna start off in San Francisco, just because I'd love to spend some time in that city, and then just go from there.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:11 pm
I came to the same conclusion as you have made now when I was 20.

I was packing my bags to head towards Washington State, I put in my 2 weeks, made plans with some friends in a couple of different states for places to stay and jobs to do. Got my truck tuned up...

Then 3 nights before I would make my escape, all my plans crashed...

I messed up in making a payment on my truck by getting 2 numbers in the box on my check reversed. The bank applied the largest number to my truck payment, and effectively killed all my reserved money in one fell swoop.... Mass arguments ensued, because my check had a different amount spelled out than the number written in the little box, and I was really wanting to get the hell out of here... but I ended up swallowing it all down in the end, because I did mess up.

2 weeks later, I met the man of my dreams and we have been together for 10 years now! xd

Anyway, if you do get out and go, be super careful. Things were already pretty bad for single female vagabonds when I was planning on heading out. It's even worse now. Be sure you can handle self defense, and I would go so far suggest you get a concealed-carry permit if you don't have any issues with that.  

Eltanin Sadachbia
Crew

Fashionable Nerd

9,950 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Invisibility 100

Figuren

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:33 pm
Well doesn't that fit? I am 20.

That suuucks, but the end result sounds kinda wonderful. A blessing in disguise I guess.

And yeah, for sure. I've definitely thought about that. I am experienced with self defense and I'm actually thinking of carrying a couple blades. I won't do guns, because I do have issues with that, but I think having a couple knives is actually a good idea for a number of reasons. Smaller knives are handy for so many things, and a good sized knife is good for any camping needs (kindling, etc.). I might see if any of my friends interested in traveling with me too, maybe even someone I meet along the way. Who knows. I will stay as safe as I can though  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:00 pm
I think it is a fantastic idea. It is just one of those things where if you don't do it you will probably look back one day and regret it.
Taking friends with you is a great idea too. I have never done anything like this but when I was in college a girl at my part time job was doing it. She would travel around the states and find a place to stay for a little while and work some part time jobs and then move on. During all this she met her fiance. Which is really cool to me.
Of course you need to be careful and take certain precautions. I would recommend self defense and first aid classes before you head out. Also, think long and hard about what you need to take with you.
When you do get out there on the road just remember to trust your instincts!  

Underworld Priestess

Catharia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:05 pm
Sounds like fun times smile - I envy your freedom...I'm stuck in a town that pains me, doing a diploma I don't really want in order to get a job I'll never love. **sigh** Curse you Massey university, and all my ill-feeling towards you...**cough** anyway...my cousin is currently couch surfing around Europe and seems to be having a good (and safe) time.

As Eltanin said it's not always safe out there for us female types.
If you leave the US be especially careful if you go to South Africa, life is cheap there, and it's not a good idea to go out at night.
You should totally come to NZ though...as long as you don't 'freedom camp' we do not appreciate people who poop in our countryside thankyousoverymuch wink . Take it Nth island to Sth island, or the Nth island will feel blah in comparison ;D  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:41 pm
heh. I've been wanting to do this myself for SOOOO ******** long! xd

money though, that's the problem... if I ever get the chance to leave, I'm taking it... I'm wanting a Cell Phone and Laptop first, though.

I'll be a Gypsy, selling my wares, travelling place to place, paying for most things with Labour and Favours, pitching down for a while at a time and moving on, never settling down.... it'll be GREAT!

I'd suggest banding together. it's more fun in groups, and exponentially safer. leastways that's the theory.  

Chieftain Twilight
Captain

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Elocutionist 200

Figuren

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:37 pm
@ Catharia
I actually don't plan to go to south africa at all. Being me (a gay woman) there are some places I definitely want to stay away from. That's one of them. It's not a visible thing but even so it can be pretty risky. I think Southeast Asia would be a nice place to travel through, although I would have issues with some of the stuff that goes on there.
You don't have to be toootally tied down, although I don't know how loans work in NZ. Buuut yeah, that actually sounds awesome. It's funny actually, two people this week were talking about how they know people who love it there, so it's definitely on my list of possible destinations.
Maybe I should look you up if I do? I guess we'll see.
Haha, and I'll keep that in mind.

@Priestess
I am definitely thinking about that. I actually have roughly 4 years of martial arts training but it would be a good idea to brush up on that. It probably would be a good idea to learn some first aid too. I am adept in that respect, but I can always be more prepared.

@Chieftain
You totally should! Money doesn't have to be that big a factor. You just need enough for emergencies and the rest can really be done quite cheaply. It might be slow going but you can get far with very little and even no money.

Maybe we should band together? Hah that would be really neat.
I don't know if traveling with others is necessarily more fun, but it would absolutely be safer.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:41 pm
I know that it is hard waking up in the same bed always but, I would not really suggest doing the whole couch surfing thing.

My sister was going to try to do it for a while, but... People would cancel on her, or she would get lost. In the end she just found the place she needed to be.

And you do NOT wanna be a gypsy. You won't be allowed in France ever~ @A@  

Layla Oleander

8,600 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200

Chieftain Twilight
Captain

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:53 pm
******** france! xd

I say, let's do it. I'll try to meet up with you at some point. ^_^ who knows ho far I'll get and when I'll start though.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:54 pm
I am actually very happy that things worked out the way they did for me. To tell the truth, I get tired of this area, but I am a person who LOVES change, so I suppose I would get tired of anywhere I settle.

I was always a bit of a traveler though, and I really miss getting to just get up and go where ever whenever, but every person has to make a decision that leads to a sacrifice or two in their life, and my family was definitely worth learning to stay put.

On the even brighter side, I have recently talked to my husband about the possibility of me doing a mission trip or two every year, and he seems to think it would be good for me. (He's not much of a traveler.)  

Eltanin Sadachbia
Crew

Fashionable Nerd

9,950 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Invisibility 100

Catharia

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:17 pm
@ Figuren - Fair enough, there are places even my wanderlust doesn't want to go too smile .
I take solace in the fact I've only got another year of this diploma, then I can go home to the Waikato...hopefully find a job there too.
You totally should look me up if you come here mrgreen My family homestead is in the upper Nth island, not all that far from the Airport. (It's so awesome having an ancestral home xd ).
Happy trails biggrin Remember, there is safety in numbers. Plus that way, no matter where you are you know someone 3nodding

@ Twi - Totally, what have France ever given us? Other than the amusing french-woopsie-arse stereotype anyway ;D I never cared for French, that's why I did Spanish instead.
My grandfather once told me I have gypsy blood from way back (like 1800's), but I prefer my Newfoundland Inuit blood from the other side of the family. I'm 1/32nd bro! xd ...damn, if it was Maori I could totally get a scholarship.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:35 pm
I'm like 1/4 Cherokee, but the part from my Mom's side purposely left the Tribe and has no documents, and dan lost the papers to prove the lineage on his side of the family in a fire.... stare  

Chieftain Twilight
Captain

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Elocutionist 200

Figuren

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:30 pm
Well I dooo have a friend in France but alas, I'm ok with not going if that's what this means.

That sounds really awesome, Catharia.
Also how long have you been in school for if I might ask?

Eltanin, that sounds really awesome. I actually thought about doing stuff like that as well (though in a secular way because... well, I'm me). It would be rewarding and just altogether incredible.

Twi, ok, this sounds awesome.
An informal plan if ever there was one, but I'll look you up at some point and see what's up. I won't be leaving for a while yet. At the earliest, the end of next summer. I need to get some money and I'm planning to finish my associate's degree, sooo, yeah, some time after that.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:34 pm
I'm excited alreday. whee  

Chieftain Twilight
Captain

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Elocutionist 200

Catharia

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:41 pm
@ Figuren - I've been in tertiary study for the last 5 years, during which time I've done a BSc in Biology (Waikato), half a PGradDipSc (Massey), half a GradCertSc (Massey) (the latter two were during my 'must get into vet' year), and half of a DipVN (UCOL).
By the end of next year my DipVN will be finished, making me a qualified Veterinary Nurse (or Technician if you're in the US), not that I want to be one...but it's a foot in the industry.
Hope to see you at some point over here smile  
RoseSoul Tribe Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff