Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Occult Research Society

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to the study of the occult, in all its forms. 

Tags: Magick, Psionics, Supernatural, Paranormal, Occult 

Reply The Occult Research Society
Doubts

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sonkurra-Taichou

Dapper Guildsman

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:26 pm
All right. I know we've all been at this stage; the stage where you have doubts about the reality of all the things you believe to go on around you; Whether it be Magick or Psychics, etc.

I'm there right now.

You see, the main problem for me is that I've never actually had pure physical evidence to show me that there is something paranormal. My empathy could just be the innate ability to read facial expressions, my slight Aerokinetics could just be coincidence, and the fact that I can cure headaches could just be a lie on their part to make me feel better.

I'm a graphic designer by trade, and one of the reasons for this is my vivid imagination and the need to express things in a format that I can see. It's just... I can't see any of this stuff. I've tried to awaken my second sight and all that, to see Aura and the like. I know doubt can completely hinder any amount of success.

What do you propose I do? Is there some way to show me that all this is real?  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:00 pm
Why is it our job to show you what's real? And what's wrong with doubt? Skepticism is always healthy to have; it brings humility and centers you.  

A1Saucy

Devoted Codger

PrometheanSet

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:34 pm
Yes, those guides and gods that me and others have run into together could all just be a shared delusion - psychologists know well that delusional people pull each other into their delusions. Is that Empathy really something involving energy, or is it just a hypersensitivity to others emotions that often arises from living in abusive situations? Are those odd events that I point to for validation of these skills really just human memory faults, coupled with seeking validation in the statistically inevitable?

Is what we do a psychological trick on ourselves, something where where we tweak the energies around us, a misinformed explanation for what we really see around us, something else entirely, or some combination of the above?

If it is something genuinely occult, there's nothing to worry about - state the conclusion as a logical premise, and you're always right! (regardless of those pesky "Facts".)
Lets just assume its a psychodrama:

If it is nothing but a large, drawn out psychological drama where we play with others that are willing in the same regard... well, it fills some psychological need by giving us a role to play relative to the universe at large; it acts as a supplemental religion in many cases. These things help people cope with all sorts of situations and unfulfilled needs.

If you find yourself asking too much about whether or not all of this is just a psychodrama, maybe you should dig deep and find what makes you need the occult. Address that, and re-evaluate your beliefs. If you find yourself being a happier, healthier person that has no desire to participate in the occult... so be it.

But if you find that once you address your needs, but still find yourself genuinely drawn to this, ya might find a new depth to this practice wink

Just don't get lost in the back of your head - otherwise, happy hunting!  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:36 pm
I'm Schitzophrenic. so this never realy applies to me the same way it does to you.  

Chieftain Twilight

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Elocutionist 200

Obscurus

Otherworldly Foe

18,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Big Tipper 100
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:24 pm
I look at it like this: If it gets results then who cares?  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:28 am
Sonkurra-Taichou
All right. I know we've all been at this stage; the stage where you have doubts about the reality of all the things you believe to go on around you; Whether it be Magick or Psychics, etc.

I'm there right now.

You see, the main problem for me is that I've never actually had pure physical evidence to show me that there is something paranormal. My empathy could just be the innate ability to read facial expressions, my slight Aerokinetics could just be coincidence, and the fact that I can cure headaches could just be a lie on their part to make me feel better.

I'm a graphic designer by trade, and one of the reasons for this is my vivid imagination and the need to express things in a format that I can see. It's just... I can't see any of this stuff. I've tried to awaken my second sight and all that, to see Aura and the like. I know doubt can completely hinder any amount of success.

What do you propose I do? Is there some way to show me that all this is real?

Keep doing stuff. You're most likely not going to get incontrovertable evidence that you can show to a skeptic and have her believe you, but you can probably undergo and experience some events that certainly verify the occult for you. And who knows, everything you do might be coincidence and chance. But as Obscurus says - if by coincidence you get the things you want, then what's the issue?

Speaking personally, I used to doubt a lot - nowadays, I'm a lot more laissez-faire about my practices. It may well be completely fake from start to finish - but it's something I love doing, and I can't prove one way or another if it's real. Might as well make some progress in it, eh?  

Rustig

4,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Entrepreneur 150

Adam Weishaupt

Conservative Voter

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 12:01 pm
On the one hand, in regards to anything magical or psychological- fake it until you make it.

On the other, if you really cannot bring yourself to believe, it's not the end of the world. When I stopped taking deities seriously, I reworked them into BIG IDEAS- for instance, Eris is the personification of chaos, of course. So when I need chaos in my life, I call upon the idea of her. Just rework your beliefs until it fits comfortably again.  
The Occult Research Society

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games