Welcome to Gaia! ::

HighTail Cafe (Furry Guild)

Back to Guilds

HTC is your one stop for all things furry on Gaia! 

Tags: furry, anthro, anthropomorphic, LGBT, roleplay 

Reply HighTail Cafe
Need Help.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MadamV

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:02 pm
I am a closet furry. i know i am a furry but can't seem to open up to it. i just can't seem to be able to leave my comfort zone. i keep worrying about what people will think, like family and friends. i know i should not worry about those kind of things but the thought is still there and i can't seem to ignore it. i even have friends that are open furrys, and i can't even seem to tell them, which is really dumb. if any buddy help me get over this dumb irational fear i would be so grateful. i want to open up more to more fursona, but i think i might need some help.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:07 pm
I guess this is what I get for stalking my friends on gaia.

However, I will say that, since you are one of my best friends i wouldn't think any differently about you, whatever makes you happy is your own personal life, not mine, so by all means, do what makes you happy!

-Zinc  

Maximum the Zinc

Witty Elocutionist

10,050 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Gender Swap 100

Nekoon

Aged Gaian

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:11 pm
Don't let your surroundings conceal your furry side. Let it out. In all honesty, majority of friends and family don't know what a "furry" is and sometimes fear it. I opened up a year ago to my friends and they seemed to be iffy about it until I explained what it is. Next thing I knew, they wanted to be furries too. Furries isn't an orientation so it shouldn't be kept in a closet. I'm not saying you need to keep your orientation under wraps. I'm just saying that it is a hell of a lot easier to be an open furry than to be an open homosexual (still in the closet on that one). All in a nut shell, just say you are a furry to your open fur friends first. They'll give you the encouragement you need to tell your friends and then your family. More than likely you'll get good results.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:23 pm
Honestly, I've always found that "coming out" to your family about being a furry is kinda useless. They'll pretty much never understand it, and even if they do, chances are, they won't really care. I never really came out to my parents, but over time, they noticed me having an interest in anthropomorphic beings and such. They even noticed me on FA a few times, so I assume they got the idea. Families aren't really something you /need/ to directly come out to.. At least not in my opinion.

As for your friends? Tell closer ones who you feel more comfortable with.. Afterwards, you can always drop hints. I did clever little things like making my screensaver a bunch of furry art and a lot of my music by furry artists. If your friends don't like you for what you are, then they aren't your friends. Trufax.

Please, dear god, don't take this as me being harsh (though I know you will).. But grow a pair and just tell people things about you. A huge reason as to why people hate on other groups of people, such as gays or furries, is because we're all so afraid to say it out loud for the first time. Groups like that become taboo because they let themselves become taboo.

That's it. I don't want to rant anymore.. just in case I've hurt feelings.  

LordStripeyTail

Quotable Smoker

6,400 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Forum Regular 100

MadamV

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:30 pm
Thank you both Lord and Nekoon. And Lord you do make a good point about me needing growing a pair. i don't take that as you being harsh. i have always been a shy person. so it has always been hard for me to open to anything, even small things with out wondering about a whole bunch of what if's. i guess all i need to do is well maybe not grow a pair, but step out of my bubble and slowly but surely let people know. well one already knows now. Which Zinc if you read this i am glad you wont think any different of me.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:34 pm
tecduck
Thank you both Lord and Nekoon. And Lord you do make a good point about me needing growing a pair. i don't take that as you being harsh. i have always been a shy person. so it has always been hard for me to open to anything, even small things with out wondering about a whole bunch of what if's. i guess all i need to do is well maybe not grow a pair, but step out of my bubble and slowly but surely let people know. well one already knows now. Which Zinc if you read this i am glad you wont think any different of me.

No prob dude, I'd be a pretty shitty friend if I said I would think differently, we have too much history dude! Don't be afraid to step out of your bubble, the group we are in is the sort of ones that is accepting of most lifestyle choices, plus, you are the same ol' tecduck so who are we to complain?  

Maximum the Zinc

Witty Elocutionist

10,050 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Gender Swap 100

MadamV

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:40 pm
well i guess when i go back to college ill start opening up to it more. even though i am not sure how i might do anything differently. with no dough to spend, can't really do the kind of things i want. saying would be the easy part, is the doing that will be the harder part.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:01 pm
You don't really need to act different to be a furry. If you want to show it off you can always go to your local pet store and get a collar to wear around or maybe just a simple beanie with ears (a bit more expensive). Just remember to be what you want to be.  

Foxifyre

6,800 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Signature Look 250

shoki_de_nai

Fuzzy Canine

12,900 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:56 pm
I guess I don't really see why anyone needs to "come out" as a furry.

Why does anyone need to know? Who's going to give a s**t that you like funny animal-people? Will this affect your life in some way?

I get like, being more open with yourself and accepting that you're a bit odd,or getting more active in the fandom...But why does the rest of the world need to find out?  
HighTail Cafe

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games