Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Republican Guild of Gaia [A Big Tent Republican Guild]

Back to Guilds

A Political-Debate Guild Aimed at Republican Users. 

Tags: republican, conservative, debate, politics, moderate 

Reply The Republican Guild of Gaia
What Freedoms Have Been Lost

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lord Bitememan
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:20 pm
I frequently post this comment to claims that "our freedoms are being stripped away," and it usually makes for some good debate fodder. So, I put the question to the forum as a whole:

What freedoms, if any, that we enjoyed in the year 2000 do we no longer enjoy today?  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:32 am
I don't know an exact list, but I know it is long.

However, a few I do know are labeled below:

-Restrictions on Free Speech
-Government ownership of companies

And some more I am sure.

What happened to limited government?

Every model of limited government has thrived, every model of authoritarian government has failed.  

Lord Izaran
Vice Captain

6,500 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200

Lord Bitememan
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:57 pm
Lord Izaran
-Restrictions on Free Speech

Could you elaborate on those please?

Quote:
-Government ownership of companies

Could you elaborate on how this translates to a lost freedom?  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:18 pm
Some freedoms we no longer have the luxury to enjoy...healthcare, freedom of speach, and the ability to light up a pipe in our own homes (deosn't apply to all but it is still a freedom, no?)  

Kingthor2282

Lysander the silent

3,600 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:08 pm
There are a lot of restrictions on how people can run businesses and,as a result, businesses have a hard time hiring and creating wealth for those who want jobs. In addition, the government has allowed for unions to basically extract their dues from worker's paychecks even when any given individual might not want to be a member of said union. To conclude my argument, The restrictions Government placed upon the businesses supposedly "protects workers" actually hurts it (especially because of the economic situation). Oh, and in addition, unions can be broken up with trust-busting laws already on the books, just fyi.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:53 pm
In places even religion is being put down. My mother's friend's daughter was suspended from her school for blessing her food  

Kyo the III

jesus_with_a_gun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:05 pm
Slowly but surely, most of the things we enjoy will be stripped. I mean sure, the fact that I can't smoke in a bar may not seem or even be that big of a deal. It also is probably safer for me to have car insurance, but I no longer have the freedom to risk it.

A huge chunk of them aren't even individual freedom. Federal government steps in, takes away another job that state and local government used to do. I'm all for the power of the state. The major problem with our current system, as seen in California was, when they legalized medical marijuana and had stores, the federal government could step in and arrest them. Just saying, what's the point in passing the law if feds can step in and give you the finger.

Most of us won't even notice the small changes, but their happening, just because it's not big, doesn't mean it doesn't matter.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:44 am
To name a few

1) Ability to quickly go through airport security
2) Phone conversations not being listened in on
3) Not fearing what you might have in your medical records, email, and financial records that would make you perceived as a terrorist
4) Collective bargaining in the public workplace (Wisconsin only)  

Rainbowfied Mouse
Vice Captain

6,200 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Wall Street 200

Tsukasa wave

Tipsy Trader

9,200 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:51 pm
america needs to shape up but honestly i don't see that happing any time soon..... sadly >.>  
The Republican Guild of Gaia

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games