Welcome to Gaia! ::

Infinite possibilities-A writer's guild

Back to Guilds

This is a writer's guild where all can gather for feedback and advice on all mediums of writing. Plus it's a great place for conversation. 

Tags: Writing, Writer, Writer's Block, Critiques, Friends 

Reply Infinite possibilities-A writer's guild
Hey look, I wrote something!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

waffles
  writes figurative language-y
View Results

Spastic waffles
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:32 pm
Ya'll are probably gonna laugh at me for posting this.

But it's the only thing I've written in a really long time. I'm not really posting it for critique or anything, just to say HEY I"M STILL ALIVE and I still know how to write, hey hey!

I wrote this little story as an exercise for the 6th grade classes I'm teaching in figurative language. So I wasn't really going for quality of anything...just how much figurative language can I get into one story? Challenge: there are 29 instances of figurative language in this story, can YOU find them all? wink

Tonight was the night, the championship game between the Jaguars and the Bears. Skyler was so excited he thought he was going to burst. He couldn’t stop thinking about the game as he finished packing up his gear and taping up his hockey sticks. His team was finally in the championships! He could hardly believe it.

Skyler was a bundle of nerves as his mom’s car pulled into the rink’s lot. He walked into the locker room and began to pull on his gear. The emotions in the room were as varied as the colors of the rainbow. Skyler’s best friend Aiden was having a staring contest with the wall in front of him. He would not say a word, most likely, until they got onto the ice. Across the room, Connor, the goalie, was jumping up on the benches, belting show tunes. Everyone had their way of coping with nerves.

Coach walked in and looked at the assembled group. “All right, Jaguars.” He began. “This is it. You guys have worked yourselves to death this year, and this championship is yours. I want to see one hundred and ten percent from everyone. Now get out there and have fun!” And with a roar that shook the walls, the team thundered out of the locker room and onto the ice for warm-ups.

With five minutes left in the third period, the Jaguars were down by a goal. The Bears were like lightning skating down the ice, and Skyler’s team was having trouble keeping up. Their sharp shooters and precision passing were getting the best of the Jaguar’s defense, but somehow they were holding on. Holding on isn’t good enough for a championship, though, and the Bears were on fire!

Two minutes left in the game, and Skyler hustles to the bench for a timeout. “Guys, we can win this.” Coach starts. “They’ve got speed, but they’re getting tired. Outplay them for these last two minutes. Connor, you’re on the bench for the sixth shooter. On three. One, two, three, JAGUARS!” The whole team screamed the last word and six players took off for the ice. Skyler watched from the bench, fidgeting like he was sitting on hot coals.

GOAL! Skyler jumped from the bench with a yell and joined his teammates in tap-tapping his stick along the bench in celebration. The game was tied! Connor rushed back into the goal, determined to be a brick wall. No pucks were going into that net. Skyler’s line was out on the ice for the last shift of the game. He took the faceoff, shooting a clean pass back to Aiden. But as Aiden raised his stick for the winning slap shot goal, a guy from the other team shot out like a bullet and came out with the puck-it was a breakaway! Skyler raced back and dove, his stick fighting madly to try to get the puck from the rushing attacker. It worked! The puck bounced to the side boards.

Sklyler hustled up to a standing position and watched while, with a bang, Aiden had slammed his opponent against the boards and began battling bitterly for the puck. Suddenly, it shot loose…right at Skyler’s feet! He had a clear path to the goal! Only seconds left in the game now. Skyler was a rocket speeding toward the goal. He pulled the puck around a desperately diving defender, nothing but a goalie between him and the winning goal. Two seconds left. He pulled up and let loose: the shot had eyes. It sailed right above the goalie’s left shoulder. The loud buzz! that announced the end of the game rang out just as the puck hit the back of the net. The Jaguars had won!

Skyler felt a train hitting him and he fell to the ice: in reality his entire team had cleared the bench and was now piling on top of him. The celebration seemed to shake the whole stadium. Guys whooped and hollered as the championship trophy was brought to the Jaguars. Skyler was the first to hold the trophy high in the air. It seemed to be smiling and gleaming in celebration with the whole team. As he went home that night, still grinning like the Cheshire cat, Skyler knew that this would always be one of the best days of his life.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:55 am
Uh-oh, I only found 18... I might need to go back to 6th grade English eek (Or maybe I'm just bad at paying attention. One of those.)

Cute story. Glad to see you're still alive 3nodding  

BlackHawkGS

Infinite possibilities-A writer's guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces