Reply Social Room
Help me find a new computer. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Xilo The Odd

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:54 pm
in most cases wen something is recalled you'll be reimbersed, but that sucks. THEY NEED MORE ASIANS AND LESS MEXICANS MAKING THINGS.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:20 pm
Board was made in china. The prblem was in the design of the chip, though.

Anyway, I'm up and running, sans optical drive.

I made the mistake of assuming that my old one would be SATA compatible xd WHAT A PIECE OF s**t!

But ubuntu runs fine on the flash drive.

Until I can get the optical drive to work, I'm out of luck, though... Unless I can get the ISOs for the motherboard on my flash drive also...

Actually, I'd probably have to remove the Ubuntu stuff first...

Oh well, It works, I'm happy mrgreen The sound it makes when starting up is so pleasing.  

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

Trenn Flashkill
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:02 am
[Kegan]
There's an error in one the chipset of my motherboard, and it's being recalled, but the replacements won't be ready until like early April.

It's an error which I could seemingly work around, but which I am really annoyed.

Sandy bridge processors are unaffected, but I can't use 4 of my SATA ports. Or rather if I do it could cause memory degradation. I guess I'll be hooking in my optical drive there.

I hope that I am not charged for any of these returns.

I'm right there with you. Pretty shitty, huh? At least it's not that big of a deal and is easily avoidable. I'll probably stick with what I have.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:07 am
Trenn, you're using sandy bridge?

I might be able to turn this in my favor, though.

By April, the X68 chipset will be out, and depending on how much more expensive it is, compared to my current MoBo, I might make the upgrade.

Given the prices of X boards in the past, though, it should be no less than double :I I might get surprised, though.

The great thing is that I can take this board for a spin, and I have 90 days to play with it. If I decide I want to upgrade to a P or X chipset, I could do it! It's all because these boards are gonna be destroyed, more than likely. Or maybe sold as refurbs.

What a great misfortune to have!  

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

Trenn Flashkill
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:53 am
Yea, I'm on SB. I have no reason to return what I have. I'm happy with my board. It has and does what I want, and it does it as well as I need it to. The faulty SATA II ports might as well be faulty PS/2 ports. I'll never, ever use them and will never notice that they might diminish. Besides, I can't be arsed to replace a motherboard in exchange for one that might have other issues.

That being said, I might upgrade the cpu/mobo a year or two sooner than I normally would have. xd

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204 BTW if you're looking for an optical drive, this is a nice cheap one. Just make sure you have an extra SATA cable lying around.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:51 pm
I went for an LG one. It was about the same price, and really pretty much identical. Fewer reviews, and and a slightly greater percent were from failures, but Optical drives are apparently always having those kinds of problems. The difference was free shipping.

As long as it works the maybe 15 times I use it, in it's lifetime, I will be satisfied.

I was considering getting a blu-ray player/burner, but I didn't for a couple reasons: I don't own any blu-rays, I never burn CDs, and I would have to hook it up to the crappy SATAII

As for SATA III, I'm pretty sure that it's really only worth using if you're using a solid state drive, because A high end 7200 RPM drive couldn't saturate the band of an SATA2 anyway. At least this is what I read, and it really only makes sense.

Solid state isn't really on my budget, though, and what I'd be getting would probably not be as reliable as a decent HDD.

That said, in defense of flash memory, Ubuntu boots relatively fast from my USB thumb drive!  

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

Trenn Flashkill
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:19 pm
Yea, I rarely use discs now too. It's all digital, and I love it. I hate optical drives.

SATA 3 devices aren't worth buying into yet, but at least the ports are backwards compatible. My HDD is SATA 2, and it's happily nested in the SATA 3 port. Love that.

And man, you have no idea how hard I tried to budget in a nice SSD. They're just WAY too expensive still. I'll get one someday. I guess we all will. The speeds on those things are so nasty.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:29 pm
And this is one of those cases where nasty means better than good!

Instant load speeds!

I wonder if you can create a DIY hybrid drive by putting a tiny SSD in RAID... I mean, I'm still not entirely sure I understand RAID, but it seems feasible.

The problem is that even the tiniest ones are hella expensive. The boost in performance would make my heart super happy, though!  

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

Social Room

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas