Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Occult Research Society

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to the study of the occult, in all its forms. 

Tags: Magick, Psionics, Supernatural, Paranormal, Occult 

Reply The Grimoire (Techniques, Rituals and Methods)
Help on sigils and magic?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ask Jappleack

Greedy Consumer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:15 am
Im reading a little on sigils and stuff
So what im trying to figure out is what kind of altered mental states are needed to do what?
what would it feel like to reach a state like that and how do you reach it and why?  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:23 pm
Are you asking about the altered states necessary to charge or fire a sigil?

Sigil magic is one of those things that you seem to have to experiment with to find what works for you. There are as many ways to reach an altered state as there are reasons to do it. It also kind of depends on how altered you want your state to be.

I may be able to help you more if you can provide some more details of what you've tried, etc.  

Obscurus

Otherworldly Foe

18,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Big Tipper 100

Ask Jappleack

Greedy Consumer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:51 pm
ive tried meditating and stuff but it didnt really work but how i reached an odd state was when i was 9 and i cant try to replicate ti again til im not sick, and ive been sick so i havent had the time to do it these past few days now that its starting to interest me more XD

EDIT: when i was nine i exhausted myself my straining and tensing and stretchign my arms at the same time til i was as tired as possible then i closed my eyes and saw light liek galaxies almost and i had only very focused thoughts and i would stare forward and the galaxies would move by my vision and if i did that long enough i would, if it was at night go directly into a dream but this time i exhausted myself and it was during the day then i was in this wierd state where i could open my eyes and not see if i wanted to and time went by really fast, like i looked at the time later and it was a couple hours later when it only felt like 40 minutes

and i dont see the glaxies anymore and im not nearly as focused  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:47 pm
Usually the altered states required for charging a sigil are not quite as serene as meditative states. Usually there's an element of release involved, such as the shock from painful stimuli or an orgasm.

The thing that I see a lot when looking into sigil magic is that when charging and firing off the sigil there's an element of shock. For instance, a method that I recently read about involves drawing the sigil in glue and then putting flash powder on that. Then after you've dumped some energy into the sigil during a ritual you ignite the sigil with a match and it imprints on your retina. You then watch it float off into the ether.

You want there to be some oomph behind the sigil in order to propel it out into the ether.  

Obscurus

Otherworldly Foe

18,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Big Tipper 100

Ask Jappleack

Greedy Consumer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:56 am
that gives me an idea for cooking lol, like cooking magic then u eat it lol  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:38 pm
Eccentric Kei
that gives me an idea for cooking lol, like cooking magic then u eat it lol

Ever heard of kitchen witchery?  

Obscurus

Otherworldly Foe

18,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Big Tipper 100

Taigamma

Shadowy Paladin

8,850 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Battle: KO 200
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:09 pm
Kitchen Witchery? This conversation keeps getting more and more intriguing as it goes along.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:58 am
Ledon Kester
Kitchen Witchery? This conversation keeps getting more and more intriguing as it goes along.

I'm no expert on the subject, but I see people mention it from time to time in a thread that I've become a regular in.

My understanding is that you essentially do magic through food. Most, if not all, ingredients have magical correspondences (think herbalism and the like). Things are made with intent, just like crafting any other spell, and then the food or whatever is taken into the person which essentially completes the spell.

It could maybe be thought of as ritualized cooking, I guess.  

Obscurus

Otherworldly Foe

18,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Big Tipper 100

Ask Jappleack

Greedy Consumer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:45 am
i carved a sigil into a banana then ate it XD lol

also i wonder if big bussinesses use magic O.o thatd suck for us XD or i wonder if its possible to do magic without realizing it.

Also i have a question if the sigil doesnt have oompf like lighting it on fire or something like what if i just let it slowly decay over time if it were on paper for example? would it like slowly release over time?

And how would it affect the subconcious in comparison, like they say doing magic is like planting seeds int he subconcious, but other s**t does that too like subliminal messages and stuff XD so i think if it didnt have oompf perhaps itd be more like a subliminal message or somehting, which there are plenty of so then its like, a blade of grass from the seed thats planted rather than a tree?
And would ti be possible to continuously cast a spell for multiple days then release it afterwards? so instead of a tree its like, a red wood tree biggrin lol  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:14 pm
There are many altered states of consciousness that can fuel and charge sigils. Intense emotions such as anger, love, hate, elation. Intense physical pain can put you in a trance. Rhythmic chanting, dancing, and instrument playing can put you in a trance. Listening to rhythmic music can work. Or psychoactive drugs (I would say hallucinogens are best).

For my own magick I've tried many different types of altered states and use whatever works the best and is most appropriate for the purpose of the sigil.

With sigil magick, you have to do what works best for you. Reading grimoires and doing what they say will lead you astray. Use magickal texts to guide you in your own direction. Take what works for you, leave the rest. This is very important. If your mind heart and soul aren't into the sigil, it won't work. The symbolic meaning YOU give it is what it will have so it's best to get acquainted with your specific style of performing magick.  

Graenadie

3,950 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Ask Jappleack

Greedy Consumer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:23 pm
yeah id tend to just do it my style anyways i think but i need to understand magic as a whole to work it better i think but hmm...  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:44 pm
Eccentric Kei
i carved a sigil into a banana then ate it XD lol

also i wonder if big bussinesses use magic O.o thatd suck for us XD or i wonder if its possible to do magic without realizing it.

Also i have a question if the sigil doesnt have oompf like lighting it on fire or something like what if i just let it slowly decay over time if it were on paper for example? would it like slowly release over time?

And how would it affect the subconcious in comparison, like they say doing magic is like planting seeds int he subconcious, but other s**t does that too like subliminal messages and stuff XD so i think if it didnt have oompf perhaps itd be more like a subliminal message or somehting, which there are plenty of so then its like, a blade of grass from the seed thats planted rather than a tree?
And would ti be possible to continuously cast a spell for multiple days then release it afterwards? so instead of a tree its like, a red wood tree biggrin lol

I've read about carving a sigil into a candle and then letting the candle burn itself out. I'm not really sure how a "slow release" would work otherwise. The idea behind the oomph is that it makes a large enough impression on your subconscious for the magic to take hold and manifest. You need enough energy to punch through the veil, so to speak.

You could craft a thoughtform and empower it day after day before finally releasing it into the ether, I suppose.

A lot of magic is finding what works for you. All the theory in the world means nothing if you can't put it into practice.  

Obscurus

Otherworldly Foe

18,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Big Tipper 100

Abstract_AfterLife

6,350 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:20 pm
yjis converstation was very interesting and nifty, you can find books about kitchen stuff and probibly signs and sigls at barns and noble they have a pretty good new age metephysicl section =^-^=  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:45 pm
I thought a sigil were something that you put your magic through. It being any kind of symbol that means something to you.
For some odd reason sigil is something I dont fully understand, when i'm pretty sure it should be easy to understand.  

immortalalia

Interesting Prophet

2,700 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200

Ask Jappleack

Greedy Consumer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:02 am
honestly i think even playing videogames can give me some ideas on how to use magic, electronics could be veiwed as sigils even, as can pencil lines, since their graphite can conduct electricity and paper is an insulator, so really u could do anything you want if you think hard enough. without going insane that is. (since im bordering sanity lol)  
The Grimoire (Techniques, Rituals and Methods)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games