Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Bead weaving, a love/hate craft.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sakura Revolution

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:01 pm
I love it, because it is a beautiful craft, its pretty and feminine, and looks so pretty...

But its hard to set up, agonizing to do.... and that's before you even start the beading!

Setting up the loom is a kick in the koosh. You have to make it fully even, (and that is WAAYYY harder than it sounds. Then you need beads... and if you are poor (like me) you have to buy them in a baggie, all mixed together... ever sorted seed beads? Its a b***h, first you need a bunch of itty bitty containers, a plastic jar lip and tweezers... yep, you can't sort them with your fingers (or I can't, my fingers be fat and clumbsy.)

But... the finished product is beautiful, and lets face it, if it was easy, i wouldn't do it.

mrgreen

[/rant]

So... anyone else practice this art form?  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:15 am
I used to do it a little,
but the cost of the beads and the amount of time it took kinda put me off it,
and I never knew what to do with the stuff that I beaded, it just kinda sat there  

I be me
Vice Captain

Sakura Revolution

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:01 am
I be me
I used to do it a little,
but the cost of the beads and the amount of time it took kinda put me off it,
and I never knew what to do with the stuff that I beaded, it just kinda sat there

I'm making bracelets for a fund raiser.

But I've screwed up three so far....

I suppose I'll get better with practice.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:21 pm
that's one thing I've never wanted to try. all those tiny little seed beads, making me go batty, spilling in the carpet. no way. but woven bead things are so cool (like the cute little purse I saw someone do on that's clever! the other day).  

jbeth

Thirteenth Streaker

16,175 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50

ajazzydancer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:25 am
I use the loom too, but to make it easier on myself I buy seed beads from acmoore that has them all in a container and seperated. I love making stuff on the loom but it takes patience.

I also like to make jewelry with wire and beads  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:51 am
I was really into the loom. I think from the age's of 8-15 I loomed a new beaded ornament for our christmas tree each year.

It is a b***h though. I tend to buy beads in bulk aswell!. And just sorting them isn't the hard part. When you buy beads in bulk they're all sorts of sizes >< some till be like 1/8th of an inch while others are only 1/16th of an inch.. so you gotta make sure your beads are around the same size other wise the sides look all wavey, or they leave gaps.  

Rum N Coke

8,200 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Popular Thread 100
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items