Reply Japanese language
"て” form...?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

jacard

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:55 pm
so yeah, I just took an exam in my Japanese 1b class where most of it was on the て Form. Which for some reason I have a really difficult time grasping. I was wondering If someone on here maybe able to explain in-depth this concept to me. Also the test was also on describing weather patterns , possibility and probability that something will happen, did happen and did not happen. If it is possible I'd like the concepts to also be explained...?  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:20 pm
る-verbs
drop る and add て
食べる->食べて

う-verbs ending with う、る、and つ
drop the う つ or る and add って
会う -> 会って
待つ -> 待って
とる -> とって

う-verbs ending with む、ぶ、and ぬ
drop the む ぶ or ぬ and add んで
読む -> 読んで
遊ぶ -> 遊んで
死ぬ -> 死んで

う-verbs ending with く
drop the く and add いて
書く -> 書いて
** exception to this rule ::
行く -> 行って

う-verbs ending with ぐ
drop the ぐ and add いで
泳ぐ -> 泳いで

う-verbs ending with す
drop the す and add して
話す -> 話して

Irregular verbs する and くる conjugate slightly differently
する -> して
くる -> きて

It all just takes practice :3

Unfortunately I can't help with the other part of your question ^^;;  

MatchaCosmos

jacard

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:27 pm
Obliviously Obvious
る-verbs
drop る and add て
食べる->食べて

う-verbs ending with う、る、and つ
drop the う つ or る and add って
会う -> 会って
待つ -> 待って
とる -> とって

う-verbs ending with む、ぶ、and ぬ
drop the む ぶ or ぬ and add んで
読む -> 読んで
遊ぶ -> 遊んで
死ぬ -> 死んで

う-verbs ending with く
drop the く and add いて
書く -> 書いて
** exception to this rule ::
行く -> 行って

う-verbs ending with ぐ
drop the ぐ and add いで
泳ぐ -> 泳いで

う-verbs ending with す
drop the す and add して
話す -> 話して

Irregular verbs する and くる conjugate slightly differently
する -> して
くる -> きて

It all just takes practice :3

Unfortunately I can't help with the other part of your question ^^;;

Thanks, this is actually practically word for word what my textbook says. Thanks though I'll probably just practice using it more.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:02 pm
て form is tricky starting out. Other than just practice/memory, there's actually a number of songs out there to help remember.

http://www.stanford.edu/class/japanese8/te.html This one seems a bit hokey...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euMTUsbMFLI This guys has a bit more of an explanation of what he's doing. This is fairly similar to the one I was taught back in high school.

Just a few other options that might help.

And I'm not sure I quite understood what you were getting at with your second question, do you have an example maybe?  

Kai Shi

7,850 Points
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150

jacard

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:28 pm
Kai Shi
て form is tricky starting out. Other than just practice/memory, there's actually a number of songs out there to help remember.

http://www.stanford.edu/class/japanese8/te.html This one seems a bit hokey...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euMTUsbMFLI This guys has a bit more of an explanation of what he's doing. This is fairly similar to the one I was taught back in high school.

Just a few other options that might help.

And I'm not sure I quite understood what you were getting at with your second question, do you have an example maybe?

second question would be like: あしたは雨だったでしょ。
expressing probablitily of weather patterns both positive and nagative stuff like that... Was that any help? if not I can grab my text book and pull an example from that.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:04 am
jacard
so yeah, I just took an exam in my Japanese 1b class where most of it was on the て Form. Which for some reason I have a really difficult time grasping. I was wondering If someone on here maybe able to explain in-depth this concept to me. Also the test was also on describing weather patterns , possibility and probability that something will happen, did happen and did not happen. If it is possible I'd like the concepts to also be explained...?

As I am sure you know, Te form is the conjugation used for giving commands and asking for/ giving permission
Many people struggle when first learning it and I found when I was home schooling students in Japanese, It's easiest to learn by memorizing the pattern. You may think that's easier said than done but I have a secret weapon...... a really annoying song. Thankfully, someone (not me) put it on Youtube! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jj2efZA7Gf4
The song sings out the unconjugated verb and then conjugates it and includes an example of each verb type. Once you learn it, all you have to do is sing the song in your head to remember how verbs with similar endings would conjugated.  

Geisha-Girl-Crickett

5,300 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Nana Shinu Ai

7,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:52 pm
well the Te form is difficult to grasp but i m learn how to grasp it since i took the Japanese Academy lesson about it.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:24 pm

Which points are you having trouble with?

lennersmii
Crew

Japanese language

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces