Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Better world without religion? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

No religion = peace?
  No, men will always find something to fight over.
  Yes.
  I'm not sure.
View Results

Uchihas Blood

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:32 pm
redem
The world would probably be a more reasonable place without religion.

It's been said far to often to have the same impact it first had on me, but still.

"Without religion, good people will do good and evil people will do evil; but it takes religion to make a good person do evil."

A little unfair, perhaps, but it states the point well enough.

I actually fully agree with this person. We may not have peace, but at least there will be reason common to all, and not just obeying a book. Dude, if I did that, I'd be Satanistic..  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:23 pm
My fellow Atheist. Allow me to clue you all in. You've come to the realization that religion is nothing more then a thing man made up in the absence of knowlege to explain what they could not. You are wrong. All religion was started by the worlds leaders to control the masses. I found this out and I wish I hadn't. I'm sure many of you have seen The Matrix. If you recall the man who sold everyone else out to return to his life of lies, so that he would not know the truth, the truth that everything he knew was a lie and that somethings are best to remain unknown.

Do you really thing thousands of years ago someone sat down and pulled the idea of a supreme being out of his a**? Do you really think it was made only for peace of mind? They control them with it. They use it to boost their spirits and send them off to war to meet their dooms, or make them obey their every whim like dogs. They are brain washed, they can't look past their own noses and its brillant. It was the best plan every made. How is civilization to thribe when people know tommorow they could die and that be it. It could not. You would have complete and total chaos.

Religion has fooled so many, and in doing so kept humanity from genocide.  

Lash Vereaux

Quotable Genius

5,350 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Regular 100
  • First step to fame 200

iviary

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:26 pm
Lash Vereaux
My fellow Atheist. Allow me to clue you all in. You've come to the realization that religion is nothing more then a thing man made up in the absence of knowlege to explain what they could not. You are wrong. All religion was started by the worlds leaders to control the masses. I found this out and I wish I hadn't. I'm sure many of you have seen The Matrix. If you recall the man who sold everyone else out to return to his life of lies, so that he would not know the truth, the truth that everything he knew was a lie and that somethings are best to remain unknown.

Do you really thing thousands of years ago someone sat down and pulled the idea of a supreme being out of his a**? Do you really think it was made only for peace of mind? They control them with it. They use it to boost their spirits and send them off to war to meet their dooms, or make them obey their every whim like dogs. They are brain washed, they can't look past their own noses and its brillant. It was the best plan every made. How is civilization to thribe when people know tommorow they could die and that be it. It could not. You would have complete and total chaos.

Religion has fooled so many, and in doing so kept humanity from genocide.

You sound a bit paranoid. Yes, religion is often used to extend political agendas (and sometimes horrific ones, at that), but religion was not founded on that idea. And yes, I really do think that thousands of years ago someone came up with the idea of a god from nowhere. Except, it wasn't just from nowhere. It explained things they couldn't understand. Also, it established moral codes. There's evidence of religious practices and belief in deities that predate civilization.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:17 am
I completely agree that even with out religion, humans will still find something to war over. However, I would prefer it to be anything else. I can respect a person's or persons' culture, ideology, and philosophy before I can respect their religion. If I had to choose a war between a group of people who think we shouldn't wear white on Tuesdays and a group who thinks we should respect the teachings of "The Fellowship Of The Ring," I'd choose the fashion sensitive group. I'd rather war over clothing than a fictional book.  

Dathu

Newbie Noob

[ Amputated Freckle ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:03 pm
I think it would eliminate a lot of petty fights, but not full-scale war

Humans as a group (no one, not even myself, excluded, but some less than others) are greedy, lusty, cheating bastards who will walk all over anyone to get what they really want.

Elimination of religion, sadly, won't change things too much.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:03 am
A lot of violence has been caused by religion, but a lot of that violence would've happened anyway, with some other "reasonable" excuse to back it up. But then you have to think of all the people who were killed simply because they did not belong to a certain religion. Can you say they would've been killed anyway? For example, one of those Queen Elizabeths in England caused large-scale murder, simply to enforce Christianity. Then there's the Salem witch trials (which I think everyone is making a really big deal about nothing; it wasn't like they killed whole villages), where they killed all of those "God-forsaken" witches and such.

I think what we're all trying to say here is:

RELIGION = LOAD OF BULL  

Syrenka

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:33 pm
redem
I wasn't try to suggest that religion causes all the worlds problems.
However the basic point remans. Religion causes many more problems than it solves. And as such it's elimination would eliminate one source of human misery.

A good thing all told.

I've said that line so many times.

Religion really isn't the root of what happens. More or less religion gets used as a mask to hide corruption, and other stuff related to that.

Religion is the most easy place for Avarice to breed and fester. From Avarice comes envy, and lust for more. Thus comes things that others will view and perceive as evil, and thus will come war.

Thats all I can really say about this topic.

Oh....does anyone else see this comparison? Isn't Osama Bin Laden a lot like General Grevious from the Star Wars film flicks?

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff