Reply Classical Musicians Guild
performance major Fears

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

candy!x0x0

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:14 pm
I'm planning on majoring in horn performance next year when I go to college. Even though the school I am going to has an amazing reputation, I am still always scared about what will happen after college when I have to hunt for a job. I worry about it almost every day. Does anyone else have these worries?  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:35 pm
Considering last time I looked, there was only one flute job in the entire country right now. I feel you.  

Lindsey The Viking

Prophet

Gjornia X

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:42 pm
Also, remember that most people go into different fields than their major. Part of my job has me going through literally hundreds of resumes for a simple staff position (clerical, under 50k annually), and I've seen degrees in music, languages, biology, women's studies, law, real estate, MBA's, IT, health admin, and countless other fields. Furthermore, most of the jobs listed have little or nothing to do with what they studied.

Don't think for a minute that all you're good for is playing an instrument for the next 50 years of your life. Even the professional musicians teaching at your university most likely have a colorful resume, varying from performance to instruction, to administrative, to non-related career. Truth is everyone has many facets and dream careers even us music students--I also love to cook and speaking French and wouldn't mind opening up a small cafe in Nancy or something.

There will be plenty of people trying to pigeonhole you in one way or another, don't do it to yourself. Don't be afraid to dream big and dream broadly.  
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:46 pm
Go for it. I'm a classical bassoonist at a conservatory. There are job openings everywhere. And there is certainly more than 1 flute job, that's ridiculous, if you were in the union you'd know that. You have to be resourceful and although those auditions are harder to get, if you love music you will get a job. Most hard working musicians who really put in the effort and have the skill (from practice and natural talent) will get a job.

Don't worry about being homeless, I worried when I was in high school haha smile But you can make money doing something else while waiting for a job opening, you can teach, conduct, do private performances, team up with other musicians for chamber music gigs, you can do anything you set your mind to.

Good luck!  

Eziana Altaire

6,050 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Wall Street 200

Eziana Altaire

6,050 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:52 pm
Gjornia X

There will be plenty of people trying to pigeonhole you in one way or another, don't do it to yourself. Don't be afraid to dream big and dream broadly.

Playing the instrument you love is hardly pigeonholing. All I want to do is play the bassoon, that doesn't make me feel like I'm limiting myself. People that make it as musicians are a very special breed; they have a ridiculous amount of determination and work ethic and passion and it takes exactly that: passion, to achieve the DREAM of playing your instrument as a career.

Also, any third tier orchestra is making 20k+, 30k+ for principal, second tier 40k+, 50k+ principal, 1st tier 60k+ all the way up to about a million (very very rare though, I only know one person making this much but I don't know everyone) depending on which orchestra, how well established you are, and how much tenure you have with the admin. John Zerbil of the OSM is making 200,000+ a year just for the orchestra, not to mention teaching at McGill.  
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 8:11 am
I understand your fears completely. I'm a piano performance major who is afraid of performing...good combination, huh?
My hope is that after college I can get a lot of students. Of course I'll need a house and a new piano but I have a few years so I'm not going to worry but work on becoming a good pianist for the time being. I'd love to get over performance fears as well so I can do some gigs since I really do love playing.

I say do what you love. I had much less skill than most incoming college piano performance majors but my teacher saw potential and passion. He saw that even though I have had much less classical training than most that I love piano and am willing to work to get better. If you are willing to learn and work than success can be yours. If some of those teenybopper singer/actors/dancers can get work so can you!  

suki owl

Gjornia X

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 7:18 am
Hildegard von Bingen
Gjornia X

Playing the instrument you love is hardly pigeonholing. All I want to do is play the bassoon, that doesn't make me feel like I'm limiting myself. People that make it as musicians are a very special breed; they have a ridiculous amount of determination and work ethic and passion and it takes exactly that: passion, to achieve the DREAM of playing your instrument as a career.

Ow, I mean to say this in a general sense. If you want to play music don't let anyone stop you. I mean that in the music business for instrumentalists a lot of agents will and do try to pigeonhole musicians into playing a certain genre (i.e. only romanticism, only baroque, only orchestral) whatever makes them the most money. Which is still an issue that I see even among some of the best performers, though it should be noted that there are exceptions.

I do however believe that committing one's life to only music performance is missing the forest for the trees. Luckily once you get to college and meet the wide array of music students and faculty, you'll get an idea of how much more you can contribute to the musical world at large.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:25 am
I might have a small minor in music for college, but I plan to major in forensics. It depends on where you look though...new positions may open up in the future..  

crimsonrenee

Friendly Member

4,950 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Friendly 100

Arasim

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:32 am
Music as a career and as a performer is not limited to orchestral positions. There is a lot of space for dedicated, creative, music minded individuals. You will find your niche.  
Classical Musicians Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games