Reply Social Room
The Magnificent Recommendations Thread

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ForsakenSwordsman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:22 am
Do you have something you want to recommend to everyone, or are you looking for suggestions for something to play/listen to/look at/touch?! This is the thread you've been looking for then.

What you should be doing in here;

- Recommending awesome stuff to everyone else.
- Asking for specific or general recommendations.

Simple, but I'd like to think it makes things nice and concise, hope it works out as a benefit for everyone.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:28 am
So, I'm looking for some recommendations for artists with vaguely similar styles to mine, or perhaps ones I could stand to learn from. I want to do tons of research, try and drag my skills to the next level if I can.

You can view over 800 examples of my work here: http://hanogan.deviantart.com/

Thanks all.  

ForsakenSwordsman

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:24 pm
These modern day punks just don't recognize FS. The original David. (As opposed to Canadian David, who is like Canadian bacon: a completely different animal.) was our resident artist back in the day: the busiest pen hand in The Cult.

I'll keep the idea of artists that are similar, or whose style you could learn something from in the back of my head, but while I'm here, I could suggest WEBCOMICS EVERYONE SHOULD TRY TO READ.
Dr. McNinja:The Adventures of a man with the conflicting duties of healing and killing. This is like a crazy action comedy. Start reading from the archive, skipping the prototype comic and going to the first official comic.

More recently the author of Nedroid Picture Diary started doing the colors for The Adventures of Dr. McNinja. I recommend his comic highly too. It's clever and stupid all at the same time, and this mix precipitates into comedy gold on many occasions.

OctopusPie Is the story of an uptight young asian woman living in New York, learning how to live with/by new stoner friends.

I also read Penny Arcade, which I'm sure everyone is familiar with here!

You know, there's some passing resemblance in the way both you and Mike Krahulik stylize your characters sometimes. He credits Stephen silver sometimes on the blog feed, now that I think about it. That's the guy who drew the character designs for Kim Possible.

Oh, and here's a webcomic that might not be for everyone. IT's a real chore catching up with such a long story, but Homestuck is a really long story that's been going on for more than 2 years now, and about a year ago, everyone and their grandma started reading it.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:06 pm
HoMeStUcK iNdEeD hOnK hOnK hOnK! :o)  

Tonberry Crunch

7,300 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200

Rad Electropow

Invisible Elder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:01 pm
Anyone have suggestions on computer mice?  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:07 pm
Rad Electropow
Anyone have suggestions on computer mice?
I'm in the need of a new mouse, too. Looking for wired, not too complicated, and, if possible with a side to side scrolling mouse with "clicky" scrolling up and down. xd

Also not too expensive. I went to Staples a week or so back and picked up a boxed one that I couldn't try out that was almost all of these things, but it was really uncomfortable for both my and my friend and it had the smooth vertical scrolling, which I kind of hate.  

Meta_Fish
Captain

Super Cheesio

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:51 am
Sidewinder X8  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:59 am
I really only need the two buttons though.. sweatdrop  

Meta_Fish
Captain

Trenn Flashkill
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:07 pm
You'll probably do well with something simple like the Microsoft comfort mouse or some s**t. I don't know much about mice. I have the logitech performance mx, and it's pretty okay. I love and hate the wireless technology, but I honestly can't go back to wired mice.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:07 pm
I just had a wireless mouse and keyboard, but got rid of that s**t when the keyboard (eventually) got wrecked. I hated having to replace batteries, even when I had the chargos. It would always notify me and then die in the middle of a game, so that was no good. I'd play TF2 and suddenly not be able to walk, or worse, walk and not be able to shoot. Why can't you go back to wired mice?

I think I might go up to Best Buy sometimes and try some out. The places around here really suck for finding mice. They're either wireless and/or they're all stuck in plastic containers, or positioned so you can't really get a good feel for it with your hand.  

Meta_Fish
Captain

Trenn Flashkill
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:56 pm
Meta_Fish
I just had a wireless mouse and keyboard, but got rid of that s**t when the keyboard (eventually) got wrecked. I hated having to replace batteries, even when I had the chargos. It would always notify me and then die in the middle of a game, so that was no good. I'd play TF2 and suddenly not be able to walk, or worse, walk and not be able to shoot. Why can't you go back to wired mice?

I think I might go up to Best Buy sometimes and try some out. The places around here really suck for finding mice. They're either wireless and/or they're all stuck in plastic containers, or positioned so you can't really get a good feel for it with your hand.
Wireless gives me a little bit of freedom. I'm kinda all over the place on my desk. With a wire, I can't place my mouse where ever I want. Plus I'm prone to knock cups over with the wire flying all over the place.

I've only had my mouse die on me once, but yea it was during a game. Kind of annoying. Luckily I wasn't pwnzoring nublets online or anything. Fortunately my mouse can be plugged in USB to recharge, so it's no big deal.  
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 12:14 am
- Tyrian 2000 (available for free on GoG.com)
- Ikaruga  

Sir Codin

Social Room

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces