A Falling-out in the Church

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Aeirus

Ruthless Cutesmasher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:54 pm
Update [May 1/2011]: My prayers have been answered. Scroll down.

---

Hello!

I know I don't post here a lot...frankly, I haven't been on gaia up until school has let out, but I have to get something off my chest.

I feel like there has been a falling-out at my church and it has shaken my faith quite a bit.

Like many christians, I feel like the church is my extended family. Everyone knows everyone, and we're all one big happy family dedicated to serving the Lord; however, recently its unity has been shaken. Two of my closest friends in the church and their families have left for other churches either because they didn't agree with some of the sermons, or they felt like the church wasn't giving them anything new or spiritually uplifting. When they left, I was devastated; I was naive to think that nothing could break through our happy family, but it just goes to show that you don't know what you have until it's gone. Then I noticed that the congregation would get a bit smaller every Sunday, and it was disheartening.

Recently, I was given the biggest shock of my life: My friend, the pastor's son, had got his girlfriend pregnant, even though he knew it was a sin to have a baby before wedlock. They had repented of course, not that anyone condemned him or her, actually we all congratulated them. What shocked me more was that the pastor's son had acted like nothing happened; he had gone to church for four months without his girlfriend, knowing she was pregnant, and acted like nothing had happened. I was wondering why his girlfriend never showed up to church anymore...and why his mother kept telling us to pray for their family--now I know why. I had never expected him of all people--someone I knew since I was eight--to actually do that when his father preached about marriage before sex for as long as I can remember. I had looked up to him for so long, we go to the same university, but now we won't because he has to work to support his future family.

I know nobody's perfect, and there is no such thing as a "perfect" church, but sometimes I feel like the church members' imperfections are starting to shake my faith--not that I'm ever going to give up serving the Lord, I love Jesus more than anything--It just feels like our church is falling to pieces; its members are becoming fake and hypocritical. There has even been a falling-out in our own youth group now that quite a few of its members have left. Sometimes I feel like I should move on to another church as well. I feel like I'm in stasis, and it feels like the same sermon is being preached every Sunday. But at the same time I don't want to be a church-hopper. I know that God will be with me wherever I go, but I'm scared to leave because I've been at the same church since I was a kid, I play a crucial role in the music ministry, but most of all I don't want to leave my extended family.

I don't know what to do anymore.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:08 pm
all of us are human.....and just like you said ...far from perfect...look at king david...a truly righteous man but do you know how many sexual things he had done that he should not have?
do not think yourself naive just because others fall
all that you feeling this way means is that you are a good hearted person and others have failed in seeing your feelings...
I have had the same thing......and my family moved around a lot.....I was torn from my church family every time. and every time it felt like someone was tearing a piece of me away...
I can tell you this......if you ask god....and truly devote yourself to following him...you will end up where he needs you....and you will be in the right place  

kesuke uchiha

Blessed Genius

10,150 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Ultimate Player 200

squeakygirl
Captain

6,250 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 2:03 am
Many churches face this issue. Our church went through it quite a few times when a new Pastor came in.

Families left to find a bigger church with a larger youth group for their kids. Or they just wanted a change.

Some pray about it and feel moved to find a new church.

Things happen. Being a Pastor's son does not save a person. They are still human.

Listen to your Pastor's sermons. If you agree with them, then stick with the church - no point in finding another. Support your Pastor. If he is preaching information you do not agree with (based upon the Bible) then you might have to move on.

When I was a teen, my friend and I visited many many churches. I ultimately stayed with mine because I felt it is where God wanted me. Even with the Pastor changes I still felt it is where I belonged.  
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 6:15 pm
Thanks guys<3

My prayers were answered. I just heard a wonderful sermon today by a visiting pastor that really hit the issue I was having on the head. He was preaching about Moses and the freed Israelites in Marah when they were complaining about the lack of clean drinking water and how their misfortunes in the desert was all Moses' fault.

I think lately I've been feeling like the thirsty people in Marah--they depended on Moses to fulfill their desires when instead they should have been relying on God. Likewise, I know now that I was relying on the church members to give me the consistency and community I desired instead of looking for it in God. Humans are prone to error so it was foolish of me to think that the church members would stay consistent forever. God is always constant and I know now that seeking him first is the most important thing; everything else I need will follow afterwards if I keep my eyes on him.

I know the church will have its ups and downs. Right now mine is going through a tough time, but I know if we keep our paths align with the Lord he will bring us out of this rough patch and things will get better--it got better for Moses and the Israelites in the desert afterall.

I'm going to stay.  

Aeirus

Ruthless Cutesmasher

Yirah

Mega Hero

11,000 Points
  • Alchemy Level 4 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:04 pm
That's great that your prayers were answered! Keep praying for your church! I love how God provides us with what we need right when we need it.  
ADVICE

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games