Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Pets and Animals Guild!

Back to Guilds

Tags: pets, animals, dogs, cats 

Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
How long can a Betta fish live without food?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Jiti

Tiny Animal

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 8:45 am
[♫=♥]

4 days without food is fine to me as long as I immediately feed the fish once I come back. How about two weeks? Can a fish live with live food? How can I get my fish used to live food?

I'm still looking through webpages about pet sitters, and so far I found one that seems to have a decent price, but I'm still a little worry.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:12 am
i know my friend uses the travel feeders for her betas when she doesn't take them home with her on short breaks.... and if I was around you i would give you a deal.... but sadly i'm not. crying  

Mistress of Rain

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:36 am
you could look into getting an automatic feeder,or maybe ask a friend to stop by every couple days to feed it? or even every day if you want,IDK  
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:50 am
Due to unfortunate circumstances, we discovered our fish were iffy around the one month mark. A few died, the others were just really hungry.

We went on vacation for the holidays... we had bought a vacation feeder thing... but forgot it before we left. So it was sitting in the kitchen the whole time, which really doesn't do much good for the fish.  

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 1:02 pm

2 weeks is the longest I would go. Fish can survive long periods without food, but it's impossible to tell which fish will last how long. Also going too long without food just isn't healthy. I don't like vacation feeders or automatic feeders. Autos can break, which results in food decaying in the tank while you're gone, not good for water quality.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 2:53 pm
Yeah, that's the one thing I fear about vacation feeders.
I don't have anybody responsible enough to care for my fish, so I'll have to hire a reputable pet sitter.
The last time I relied on someone with a pet was my uncle and he killed my pet gecko. cry  

Jiti

Tiny Animal

Jeeed

Gaian

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 5:40 pm
Depends on a few factors, such as how established the tank is, how large it is, and whether there are live plants or not, as well as temperature. A tank can provide enough food for quite a while if it's well established. For example, I once went about 3-4 months without feeding my fish and I noticed no problems at all. But as for the betta, I think a week would be okay, but anymore would be a risk.  
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 7:47 am
I've heard they can go up to 2 weeks or more, but I wouldn't risk going over a week.  

Yunui

Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff