Welcome to Gaia! ::

RP for Fantasy, Love, and Action

Back to Guilds

A fun place to role-play with Gaians of all ages and skill levels in a variety of genres 

Tags: Roleplaying, RPing, Fantasy, Romance, Action 

Reply U/C
An annoying trend in role players

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

kaykeyser
Crew

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:15 pm
An annoying trend in role players that Im seeing is that a lot of people only RP what is resent. Because Thor came out recently Im seeing Thor RPs pop up in the forums. Now last week, last month, last year there weren't any Thor RPs but now he does a movie and people want it.

Star Trek 2009 comes out and sudenly people who NEVER watched a single star trek TV show or movie before want a star trek RP but ONLY if its the 2009 version. they have NO interest in doing the Orginal TV series and that movies also killed off all TNG, DS9 and Voyager fans becouse 2009 fans are too young to remember the TV shows and refuse to watch any TV show that was on before they were born.

Dark Knight came out and people want to RP batman but ONLY Dark Knight. these people have NEVER seen the animated series or read the comic book and only want the movie.

there are people out there who only watch whats on TV or what comes out in movies in there own life time. they want nothing to do with any thing thats 10 years or more old.

people don't want superman they want smallvile
they don't want code lyoko any more becouse its been off the air too long but they WILL do Pokemon,Digimon and Teen Titans. Peopel don't want Kim Possible, Hey Arnold, Ghostbusters, addams family, peanuts, gargoyles, douge, etc etc

the want Twiglight and Naruto and glee.
twilight prinsess not Ocarina of time, Harvest moon ToT not HM 64.
They want fruits baskek,bleach,FMA,Ouran Host club but not Azumanga, love hina, tenchi, kodocha, kelidos star, chobits etc

they want Mega man MT Warrior or mega man X but not Clasic mega man

Final fantasy X or X2 as if it made a diference, but not FFIV or FFVI

when people DO want what I want they want yaoi or they want female partners only.

they want X-men evolution not X-men

I am sooo waiting for my favorite shows to get a reboot or a movie just so they will become popular again....but man so many RPers are in to the trendy and not the nostalgic.

but when I see sopme one get in to a long running series for the very 1st time only becouse a hunky guy plaid the role in a movie and girls wish he was gay for the hunky villian it pisses me offld ahve atracted fans with out a movie, but the idea they cant atact fans with out a movie...its like WHY! what GOOD reason do you have for NOT seeing that series in a cartoon or a comic or a book?

Ok, Im Guilty of not reading the harrypotter, Erogon or Nardia books and I dont read most comics but can you imagine if Harry Potter had been a book and then a cartoon adn then a comic and then a movie but if he had NO fans before the movie? or if some one ot exposed to Mario or Toomb raider or mortal kombat for the 1st time from seeing the movie and then started asking "I want to RP Super Mario Brothers but only the movie not the game" or if the actuly complained "the games NOTHING liek the movie" its insain.

Even With Avatar the last airbender (see my TV show on blitv reviewes and info) I hate how people watched the movie Last airbender and it was there 1st exposure to an otherwise good series and they chose not to watch the series becouse of the movie.  
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:31 pm
I can understand a bit of your frustration.. My favorite all time animes and shows are well over 10 years old and they don't seem to last very long in an rp due to lack of interest..

But for Thor, I personally like the movie, but if I were to make an rp about it, it would be my own twist on the original mythology. n.n;

He was a god with many tales long before Stan Lee turned him into a comic figure now movie icon.

Now if an rp starts out like the movie or comic or even the original mythologies.. and lasts long enough to go in its own direction, I think that is commendable because although they started thinking in the box, they were able to start pulling themselves out of the box...

((Right now I'm on vicodin, so if I don't make sense, please point it out and I will try to clarify..n.n;; ))  

Lady Silly Goose

Beloved Gaian

7,600 Points
  • Champion Cardholder 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Married 100

XxWild-Eyed_JokersxX

Dedicated Lunatic

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:38 pm
I think it's understandable that there's a lack of role plays catering to fans of older shows. They were popular during their prime, most ideas for those role plays probably got used up and exhausted after a while when they were all the rage.

Yeah, I'm a bit bummed that most people think that Rogue from X-Men is a whiny teenager thanks to the recent movies, but what can you do? Just keep on keeping on, my friend.

Also, Tenchi Muyo was a great show. Kudos to you for mentioning that.

As for the Avatar debate, I think it's funny how people who love the animated series think the movie was a flop, but people who only saw the movie (as you mentioned) don't want to watch the cartoon. Truly, it was an original story that deserved more credit and proper homage in the theaters.

EDIT:
Last but not least, older shows are getting less popular because the newer generations of role players either don't know about them or have their own favorite shows that they want to do. Can't really hold that against them.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:02 pm
XxWild-Eyed_JokersxX
I think it's understandable that there's a lack of role plays catering to fans of older shows. They were popular during their prime, most ideas for those role plays probably got used up and exhausted after a while when they were all the rage.

Yeah, I'm a bit bummed that most people think that Rogue from X-Men is a whiny teenager thanks to the recent movies, but what can you do? Just keep on keeping on, my friend.

Also, Tenchi Muyo was a great show. Kudos to you for mentioning that.

As for the Avatar debate, I think it's funny how people who love the animated series think the movie was a flop, but people who only saw the movie (as you mentioned) don't want to watch the cartoon. Truly, it was an original story that deserved more credit and proper homage in the theaters.

I get annoyed at night crawler's holographic imaging belt.

@MiLynn Aiko your fine but I don't think vicodin's a word. but Im half a sleep here...

also like I said I run a show on blipTV, I started it because of people on That guy with the glasses being ignorant baout the better half of the Avatar cartoon series. now not all movies based on cartoons etc suck but a lot do and sadly the bad ones either turn people off to a good series or they make people a bad movie.

such as I liked Erogon and was ok with Harry Potter and LOTR but since Im not an avid book reader, Im not able to pick the movies apart.

oh and one more thing, I wish more Americans were European. We have far too few Author and the Invisibles fans.

also I cant stand how many times Parent trap or nutty professor or cheeper by the dozen comes on and its not the original. not saying "don't make remakes" or whatever, remakes and reboots can be good but as soon as rebooted Aurthur comes out that'll be the end for its original too. not that I ever saw the original. and look at Titanic, it completely pushed older Titanic movies off the air. remakes always replace orginals, Fy, King Kong, Dracula, The Mummy. there often bad too. I think Willy Wanka vs Charyl is the only case of both versions being good populer well known and on TV back to back frequently. any other time, networks gravitate to the remake. but there are times when I'll give the point to the new like in King Kong, Karate Kid, war of the worlds. Some times a remake can be as good or quill. other times you get a huge chunck of WTF like is the case with The Time Machine.

and whats with sequils? The Mask, Ace Ventura Jr. Pet Detective, Even Allmighty, Problemb Child 3, Bethoven 4, Homalone 3 and 4, why make a sequil to a movie with none of the cast from the 1st? but thats off topic.  

kaykeyser
Crew

U/C

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces