Submit

Jettrick

Aged Noob

2,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:46 am
First off, this is going to have MAJOR SPOILERS for the episodes up to and including The Rebel Flesh sprinkled liberally throughout it, so with that in mind if you haven't tuned in yet you better tune this out right away :/

Secondly, I've never really prescribed to the sort of wild mass guessing and rampant conspiracy theorisizing that is part and parcel of following any arc-based series like Who-but then Stephen Moffat's ideas are so fantastically outlandish at the best of times I figure now might not be a bad idea to start. So, with that in mind, here's the deranged half-baked idea I've been kicking around for the better part of a day regarding the episode just gone.

Could our new GangerDoctor be the Doctor we saw shot way back in episode one?

Admittedly, it's an *epic* stretch of the imagination to conceive how this might all work out, and it's assuming a heck of a lot about the nature of the Flesh and its ability to copy the physiology of its templates before we even get started on the copious other implausibilites with the idea. But consider this;

-we presently have a doctor we know is going to die in the future. We also have a doctor who is surplus to requirements right now, seeing as Journey's End taught us all we need to know about the abject inability of the universe to contain two doctors at the same time.
-the Flesh can apparently copy any living thing to an almost perfect degree of physical duplication. It could easily grow GangerDoctor a new TARDIS, surely.
-It would deftly avoid the episode falling into the old cloning cliche of 'genetic code breaks down, everyone dies' that this story is doubtless otherwise destined to fall into.
-Moffat has previous when it comes showing us scenes in which we think we're seeing one doctor, but it's actually another. Remember Flesh and Stone?

Of course, if any or all have this has already been dismissed as rampant nonsense by known fact or events in the 'next time' trailer then I guess this is pretty pointless speculation.

Either way, it's off my chest now. Over to you lot >.>  
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:42 am
we will just have to wait and see what happens  

Tazoeai

Maeko-Hana

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 9:40 am
When we first saw the Doctor die, Amy asked if he might be a clone or a duplicate [I asked the same thing]...Now, Canton said something along the lines of "that is most certainly the Doctor and he is most certainly dead"...BUT, remember, "The Doctor always Lies!"...So until we have proof leading us in another direction, I'm clinging to the Clone idea.

Also, we didn't see The Doctor's TARDIS at the start of The Impossible Astronaut. Unless I missed something. So either, that Doctor was somehow traveling without a TARDIS [which works toward the clone idea] or there is a TARDIS out there somewhere all alone, dying.  
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 3:26 pm
Good eyes and ears everyone. I agree with Maeko and Tazoeai. We'll just have to wait and see.  

The_Original_River_Song

Versatile Genius

6,100 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Citizen 200

Miss Marinara Sauce

Dapper Dabbler

7,700 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 3:32 pm
I don't think that the Ganger Doctor is the one who died. Trust me, Moffat is going to go with a more wibbley-wobbley timey-wimey route with this. The Ganger Doctor is most likely a ruse to get people's hopes up, sadly.

I think there's probably something going on with different timelines. When Rory, Amy, and River saw the future Doctor die, they were actually seeing a Doctor from another timeline. I think that Eyepatch Lady is Amy's midwife from a separate timeline when she's giving birth, but Amy keeps catching glimpses of her in this timeline because of her encounter with the other timeline's Doctor.

And, for my craziest theory: I think that the Amy that is with Rory and the Doctor now might be a Ganger. I mean, think about it: they were saying that the Flesh could copy clothes as well, and Amy has been wearing the exact same shirt all season! Maybe the Silence made a copy of her during the days that they captured her. And the Doctor seems to know more about the Flesh than he's letting on. Maybe Amy really was pregnant, and her Ganger is catching glimpses of Eyepatch Lady from the birth (OK, so I just changed my theory; so shoot me).

sweatdrop It could happen!  
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 4:05 pm
Good point, Miss M...Maybe the two realities are sort of rubbing up against each other and some stuff is crossing over. Sort of like a Through the Looking Glass type scenario.

And the point about the shirt could work...except that she was wearing that black pants suit outfit when the Silence took her.  

Maeko-Hana

Jettrick

Aged Noob

2,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:51 pm
Maeko-Hana
When we first saw the Doctor die, Amy asked if he might be a clone or a duplicate [I asked the same thing]...Now, Canton said something along the lines of "that is most certainly the Doctor and he is most certainly dead"...BUT, remember, "The Doctor always Lies!"...So until we have proof leading us in another direction, I'm clinging to the Clone idea.

Also remember Canton's speaking as a 20th century human, who would have no real choice but to base his opinion on the evidence of his eyes. But Canton's wording *does* suggest he knows more about the situation than anyone else...which I think means the doctor may have tipped him off about what he was going to see in the past sometime. Possibly in the letter he sent him? It could be a case of epic misdirection by the doctor staging a 'fake' death for the benefit of the Silence who, lest we forget, were *also* present on that occasion.

Whether or not this included sacrificing GangerDoctort for the greater good or just timey-wimey craziness I don't know. All I know is my head hurts D:  
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 9:02 pm
Jettrick
Maeko-Hana

Also remember Canton's speaking as a 20th century human, who would have no real choice but to base his opinion on the evidence of his eyes. But Canton's wording *does* suggest he knows more about the situation than anyone else...which I think means the doctor may have tipped him off about what he was going to see in the past sometime. Possibly in the letter he sent him? It could be a case of epic misdirection by the doctor staging a 'fake' death for the benefit of the Silence who, lest we forget, were *also* present on that occasion.

Whether or not this included sacrificing GangerDoctort for the greater good or just timey-wimey craziness I don't know. All I know is my head hurts D:

Maybe the dead "Doctor" was Time-Head ((the little girl who was seen regenerating TimeLord style at the end of a episode)).  

Lord Shadow IX

Miss Marinara Sauce

Dapper Dabbler

7,700 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:23 pm
Lord Shadow IX
Jettrick
Maeko-Hana

Maybe the dead "Doctor" was Time-Head ((the little girl who was seen regenerating TimeLord style at the end of a episode)).

Ohhhhh... You are one evil person, my friend. I would agree, it's just that he seemed to know Amy, Rory, and River so well! I mean, Jim the Fish!  
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:26 pm
Maeko-Hana
Good point, Miss M...Maybe the two realities are sort of rubbing up against each other and some stuff is crossing over. Sort of like a Through the Looking Glass type scenario.

And the point about the shirt could work...except that she was wearing that black pants suit outfit when the Silence took her.

Hmmm... touche. Alright then, I've got no idea what's gonna happen! crying But I still think the clothing thing is suspicious, especially given that both Rory and the Doctor have changed clothes multiple times, whereas Amy has not.  

Miss Marinara Sauce

Dapper Dabbler

7,700 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Citizen 200

Ricwulf

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 2:57 am
Maeko-Hana

Also, we didn't see The Doctor's TARDIS at the start of The Impossible Astronaut. Unless I missed something. So either, that Doctor was somehow traveling without a TARDIS [which works toward the clone idea] or there is a TARDIS out there somewhere all alone, dying.

"The doctor in the TARDIS doesn't know!" - Multiform from The Eleventh Hour.

This implies that a future Doctor will not have a TARDIS. This also explains why we never see the 1,103 year old Doctor with one. As for whether the TARDIS was destroyed, stolen or lost, I can't tell, but I haven't really done a whole lot of research on it all.  
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 5:15 pm
Miss Marinara Sauce
I don't think that the Ganger Doctor is the one who died. Trust me, Moffat is going to go with a more wibbley-wobbley timey-wimey route with this. The Ganger Doctor is most likely a ruse to get people's hopes up, sadly.

I think there's probably something going on with different timelines. When Rory, Amy, and River saw the future Doctor die, they were actually seeing a Doctor from another timeline. I think that Eyepatch Lady is Amy's midwife from a separate timeline when she's giving birth, but Amy keeps catching glimpses of her in this timeline because of her encounter with the other timeline's Doctor.

And, for my craziest theory: I think that the Amy that is with Rory and the Doctor now might be a Ganger. I mean, think about it: they were saying that the Flesh could copy clothes as well, and Amy has been wearing the exact same shirt all season! Maybe the Silence made a copy of her during the days that they captured her. And the Doctor seems to know more about the Flesh than he's letting on. Maybe Amy really was pregnant, and her Ganger is catching glimpses of Eyepatch Lady from the birth (OK, so I just changed my theory; so shoot me).

BOOYAH! mrgreen  

Miss Marinara Sauce

Dapper Dabbler

7,700 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Citizen 200

Jettrick

Aged Noob

2,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 4:30 am
Miss Marinara Sauce
Miss Marinara Sauce

BOOYAH! mrgreen

That's what I love about the series under Moffat's tenure. Inevitably the craziest theory wins xD  
The Doctor Who Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games