Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Is it *important* to come out as an atheist?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Celestial Fireflies

Witty Autobiographer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:09 pm
cєℓєsтιαℓ ғιʀєғℓιєs:

*Sidesteps a tumbleweed rolling across the GAU forum*

There is only one person in my family who knows that I am an atheist: my father. Though he's largely not very religious (I would call him a deist at best), he doesn't believe that it's possible to really not have a belief in a higher power. Obviously, I disagree, but we've agreed to disagree and he supports how I feel nonetheless.

No one else in my family knows, and although they don't discuss it with me, they just assume that I am religious just like them. I don't pretend to be a Christian, I just don't ever talk about it; the most I'll do is thank them for their concern when they say that they'll pray for me. I just don't feel like it's an important issue for me-- or at least not important enough to just announce it out of the blue. If someone were to ask me, I would be honest, but otherwise, I am not going to bring it up (or "come out").

But I know that some might disagree with me. I know that some feel it's important that everyone who is an atheist come out as such, to show people that atheists are not strange cults of god-haters, but instead average, every day people that you might nod hello to on your way to work. I can understand that; more people being open about their atheism allows even more to feel brave enough, which leads to more people being able to come out, and so forth.

And it's true: if someone reacts awfully to your atheism and treats you like a different person, do they really deserve to be in your life anyways? Are they worth keeping around? If it really came down to it and my atheism was somehow revealed with nasty repercussions, I know I would take them out of my life (but not without a lot of stress). It's not so much a fear of losing them that's keeping me from saying it publicly, but the fact that it's a non-issue now and it's not guaranteed to continue to be a non-issue. I just don't feel like I'm going to accomplish much myself for the added stress to be worth it when I already have enough to worry about every day.

I'll admit, though: sometimes I feel guilty for keeping quiet, like I'm contributing to the taboo of atheism by not doing anything to challenge it. I'm not at a point in my life where I feel comfortable opening myself up to whatever could happen if I were to announce it, but I do think about it sometimes. Largely, however, it's not a problem for me and I don't happen to think about it very often.

So, what do you think? Is it our duty to let people know that we are atheists, even in the face of possible backlash? Is the possible stress one may face of having their families turn away (or having to turn away from their families because of their attitudes) worth it, or do you feel it's okay to leave it alone and keep your nonbelief to yourself, especially when you don't necessarily feel bothered by staying quiet about it?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:44 pm
It is only important when the other person, regardless of your opinions about them, minds too much.

I let people know I am an atheist when I deem it important or if the ocassion is worth it, I just don't randomly throw that fact of brandish it like a flag like furries do with their fandom.  

[-Erik-]

Durem Citizen

7,700 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Generous 100
  • First step to fame 200

Ammonia Spike

7,650 Points
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:31 pm
I feel the same way about it as I do with my sexual orientation. If someone asks me, I'll be honest, but I don't feel the need to tell everybody. It's just not that big of a deal.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:57 pm
I have to agree with the majority of answers so far on this thread. When the time and need calls for it I do mention that I'm atheist. Though I have to admit that the surprised reactions are pretty fun.  

Killian Darkwater

Celestial Fireflies

Witty Autobiographer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:35 pm
Ammonia Spike
I feel the same way about it as I do with my sexual orientation. If someone asks me, I'll be honest, but I don't feel the need to tell everybody. It's just not that big of a deal.
cєℓєsтιαℓ ғιʀєғℓιєs:

Yep, that's largely how I feel too. I don't pretend like I'm a Christian, I just don't say anything unless someone asks.

There was one time in high school I was asked by a religious friend what religion I was, and I panicked and said Catholic for some reason (my mom tried to raise us that way but was too lazy to take us to church). I felt really guilty after I said that though, and when I got home I talked to her online and explained what happened, then told her the truth. She ended up being okay with it.

Her father later ended up taking us to a funeral for a kid we both knew, and he asked me after the service what church I go to. I just said, "Uhh... I don't go to church." Insert lecture about how it's important and I really should. rolleyes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:15 am
I think it's one of those things which one should not feel obliged to either announce or disguise. I like the idea of letting people know that one is an atheist, if only to remind religious people that we are normal and decent people, but I don't see anything wrong with simply not having the urge to bring it up in conversation.

I personally enjoy being outspoken about my atheism, especially online. For example, I really like AtheistNexus.org (a social networking site for the nonreligious) to get atheist and related news and I also moderate an atheist book club on GoodReads.com. I really enjoy debating, whether it's on YouTube or a forum or one of my Facebook posts.

However, I understand that what's good for me may not be good for the next person and that doesn't mean that one of us is wrong.  

Iconoclast Enthusiast

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100

Captain_Shinzo

6,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:56 am
I wouldn't say it's important. That is, to anyone else. Sure, someone may ask or it may come up, but would it effect someone personally because they know you are Atheist? They would still continue onto their daily lives living the same unless they let it eat them away mentally. I don't mind telling people that don't care if they ask and if I can trust them to treat me the same. However, if I feel they aren't the kind of person that would like it if they knew, then they wont. For the time being that is. To me, it's a personal belief and I rather keep it to myself than anything else sense my belief shouldn't effect anyone else.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:59 pm
User Image

I have mixed feelings about this too. Occasionally I feel like it's my duty to show people that atheists are essentially no different from any other group of people. There are good-natured atheists, bad-natured atheists, and everything in between. There are intelligent atheists and atheists who are complete dumbasses. A religious belief or lack thereof doesn't make a statement about a person's character. If all of us came out as atheists, perhaps people would be forced to recognize that.

But I most often keep my mouth shut. Most people assume I'm a Christian since I live in the Bible Belt and grew up as a devout Episcopalian. Sometimes I still go to church because I'm a musician and let's face it: musicians kinda have to get used to playing church gigs sometimes. I don't usually volunteer that I'm an atheist around where I live. I don't tell anyone I'm a Christian but I usually don't correct their assumptions, and I even participate in discussions on theology (but most people don't notice that I always disclaim my statements with something like, "If the Bible is true..." or "If we're to believe..."). When people tell me they'll pray for me, I thank them for caring and if they ask me to pray, I dance around it without saying yes or no. I usually ask if there's anything I can DO to help. wink

It's none of people's business what my beliefs aren't, but I do wish I felt socially safer expressing my atheism, and that people wouldn't automatically assume I'm some sort of Christian.

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

RestlessRenegade

6,450 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:56 pm
I agree with pretty much everyone else so far. I reserve the right to tell the truth about my atheism, but I don't feel the need to tell everyone out of the blue.

That said, I do still want the option of being able to admit it. Unfortunately my parents seem to be figuring it out on their own. Maybe they're just making fun of me, but they tend to negatively joke about/refer to my lack of belief, which is really annoying--not because they're wrong, but because I'd like to be able to tell them about it before they treat me differently. rolleyes  
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games