Welcome to Gaia! ::

Veni Vidi Vici

Back to Guilds

A poll guild for fun-lovers, RPers, craziness, and hippies. 

Tags: poll, games 

Reply Reviews
Ico/Shadow of the Colossus

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

poll
  magicgold
View Results

purpleravenhawk
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:43 pm
Now here are a couple of games that can really tug at your heartstrings in an unexpected way. You get attached to them not through emotional cutscenes and fully fleshed-out characters but rather through the gameplay itself. Without giving away too much, let me just say that by the end of each of them, you'll be craving more.

Ico was made first, but SoC is it's prequel, so we'll start with that one. There are no random enemies, no items to collect, no NPCs to talk to. Just a vast land of plains, deserts, mountains, etc. for you to explore on your horse. Boring? Not at all. But you can skip the exploring if you're not a landscape gawker like me and head straight for the battles. Boss battles. Every single one of them. Some of the most exciting I've ever played. Full of strategy and awesomeness. Why? You're trying to bring a girl back to life by slaughtering the colossi who imprison a powerful being of darkness that can revive the girl. Whether it's a good or evil creature, the game doesn't say for sure. Of course, someone's on the way to stop you. How that ends up, I'll leave up your imagination, but I'll say this: All the darkness you absorb gives you horns by the end of the game, and Ico has horns.

That's right, Wander from SoC (yes, that's his name) is Ico's ancestor, whether by blood or reincarnation, they're not clear on, but I vote for reincarnation for simplification purposes. There are some things about the games that are a bit confusing and left up in the air, but it's not all as vague as the theorists make it sound. Some of it is quite straightforward if you just quit looking for metaphors. The only thing we don't know for sure is what happens between the two games and how much time passes, although I'm guessing centuries at the least, based on the legends that have grown up around the horned boys.

By Ico's time, horned boys are sacrificed to save the village from their curse. Ico finds himself wandering an empty, desolate castle, trying to help a girl escape who seems to be made of light. There's a lot of puzzle-solving and some random fighting of shadow creatures (who look an awful lot like the shadow forms of the powerful being that Wander went to for help). Then there's the evil queen, who may or may not be someone we know all grown up into immortal evilness. It's hard to say for sure, but by the end of the game, Ico has lost both horns in what seems to be a metaphor for redemption. The very ending is still debated by fans, as it leaves a lot to the imagination. But if you take the most literal interpretation, which I prefer in this case (unusual stance for me, I know), it's a happy ending.

The bond you develop with the girl in Ico and the tragedy that you are forced to play a part in in SoC both serve to create a powerful connection that will stay with you after you're done with the games. They manage to be quietly poignant without getting boring and without relying on cutscenes and dialogue that would separate the player from the characters. But if you prefer more excitement, don't be dismayed. The colossus battles have more excitement than most games, and the puzzles and story in Ico will keep you moving forward. I'd recommend these games for pretty much anyone.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:18 pm
The explorers will definitely like this game.
And the hardcore gamers will love replaying to get the bonus stuff.

I can't wait to play it myself, LOL  

xX Catgirl - Pierce Xx

Reviews

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces