Welcome to Gaia! ::

HighTail Cafe (Furry Guild)

Back to Guilds

HTC is your one stop for all things furry on Gaia! 

Tags: furry, anthro, anthropomorphic, LGBT, roleplay 

Reply Serious discussion & Rants
My predicament im in. Please Help.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Hogosha neko

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:05 am
So school is hard, we all know that. But I seem to have a worse time with it than the average person. And right now im in a very stressful and worrisome place. Let me explain.

My father is in the military, so we move around alot. When I was about 8 he decided to do overseas tours. (being stationed at bases all over the world)
So in 2001 (could have been 2000) We moved to Okinawa Japan. I was excited to go, I had never been anywhere else outside the US and was curious and excited. But this is where all of the schooling problems started.

My mom thought that moving overseas and leaving to a different country every 4 years would make schooling difficult. So she decided that when we moved to Japan that she would begin to home school us to attempt to make things easier. I love my mom and all but shes not much of a teacher. The problem here is that she never pushed me or really made me put effort into my schooling. Also Okinawa has an incredibly rich environment and my mother always put schooling aside to take us places and go to parks and beaches and just about anything fun you can think of. This caused me to have a VERY loose schooling schedule. So much that I barely remember doing any work at all. Anyways, after 4 years of this we move to England. England was a little bit better with the schooling but still fairly lacking.

This is where things started to get serious. Out of seemingly nowhere my mom decided that she was done homeschooling us and that she was going to put us into public school. This wouldn't have been that big of a deal if it weren't for a few things. The first being that when she would put me in, it would be my Junior year of high school, and second, I had no idea what public school was like (being taken out of public school at age 8 and all).

I hated the idea of going to high school. It sounded like a living hell to me. But I slowly got myself to look forward to it, I got myself looking forward to doing some sort of auto shop, cooking, and computer classes.
Not being sure of how well id due my mom decided that I would enter high school a year behind what i was really suppose to be in (Starting as Sophmore). So the first day of school starts and im running around not knowing what the hell im doing like a 5 year old at a collage.

Nobody had ever talked to me about my future or collage, or what job I plan on having. So I just pick classes im interested in Sophmore year.
Here where I end up messing everything up. Junior year rolls in and im forced to choose a Foreign language to take until i graduate. Being a dumb a** and not knowing what to expect I decide to take Japanese online because i dident want to learn any of the 3 languages they offered (Spanish, French, or German). I fell incredibly far behind in this due to the fact that I cant seem to learn or teach myself a different language for s**t.
Im now JUST completing the first semester of Japanese out of the 4 I HAVE to do in order to graduate.

So now not only am I a semester behind where i should be in Japanese, im also a year behind in math (my worst subject that I hate with a passion and cannot seem to grasp at all). And on top of that, my mom against my will signed me up for a math class online, along side my Japanese.

At the rate that im learning these things I see myself having to repeat Senior year and graduate when im 20. I really don't want that to be the case. The main reason why this worry's me so much is that im afraid that if when I want to collage, I will be rejected due to the fact that it took me so long to get threw high school. Im afraid that my schooling history will haunt my ruthlessly in my future.

I have no faith in myself at this point and feel increadibly degraded by the people I have to be around in my school. Im constantly around people who have strait A,s and have academic awards and such. When school was in last year I had to sit around people who have 4.0 grade averages and are already taking AP classes (classes that will count as collage credits, essentially collage classes in high school). I have friends who are taking physics and doing well at it when ive failed basic algebra.

So what im looking for is possible help and or advice as what to do.

So please help? I could really use it...  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:53 am
Jeez, I understand what your saying. I had it hard, just not as hard as you. I am considered ((SLD = Slow Learning Disabled))

In other words, I couldn't learn like other students around me that where in classes like geometry, or any of the other high math subjects. It did discourage me, but I was put in "special ED".

Now, when you hear ((Special ED)), don't think its a class for kids that are retarded or have down syndrome or w/e. It is just a class for students like me that just cant learn as fast as others.

I did graduate at the right time and I had all A and B's for grades, other then aldgabra, I didn't really understand it, but I got help and the instructor was kind of a d**k...

Where I am now is community collage and when I tried for the core classes, like PE, math, ect... It didn't work.

PE: I knew that classes where going to be big, but I was used to a kinda small size class. Now I tried to take notes and if I missed something, I asked the instructor, but I felt like I was just brushed off...

Science: I was happy about that at the start. I went in to a weather science class and I had a note taker, but I soon realized it was a physics science and that was way over my head.

Again, I felt stupid that I couldn't do said classes and unable to do classes like that, I couldn't get my AA or stuff like that.

On the bright side, I was told that I could put all of that off to the side and just take the classes that I am doing for my career and earn certificates.

So I did that and I now have my certificate of completion and proficiency in graphic design so now I have knowledge of how to edit movies.

Today, I am going for 3D editing, the world is moving to 3D so why just stop at 2D. The problem is that I have to take art classes and I am no artist. I do the work and see the others and just want to fade away, seeing there work is breath taking. Still, I get the work done and that's where I am right now.

So, hope fully hearing my story will help you to feel a bit better, I hope.
We all have difficulties in school and I could tell you all my problems and how I over came them, but that would be for another time.  

Loquoro

Dangerous Shapeshifter

14,900 Points
  • Squash Stomper 75
  • Millionaire 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Hogosha neko

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:33 pm
Kayian
Jeez, I understand what your saying. I had it hard, just not as hard as you. I am considered ((SLD = Slow Learning Disabled))

In other words, I couldn't learn like other students around me that where in classes like geometry, or any of the other high math subjects. It did discourage me, but I was put in "special ED".

Now, when you hear ((Special ED)), don't think its a class for kids that are retarded or have down syndrome or w/e. It is just a class for students like me that just cant learn as fast as others.

I did graduate at the right time and I had all A and B's for grades, other then aldgabra, I didn't really understand it, but I got help and the instructor was kind of a d**k...

Where I am now is community collage and when I tried for the core classes, like PE, math, ect... It didn't work.

PE: I knew that classes where going to be big, but I was used to a kinda small size class. Now I tried to take notes and if I missed something, I asked the instructor, but I felt like I was just brushed off...

Science: I was happy about that at the start. I went in to a weather science class and I had a note taker, but I soon realized it was a physics science and that was way over my head.

Again, I felt stupid that I couldn't do said classes and unable to do classes like that, I couldn't get my AA or stuff like that.

On the bright side, I was told that I could put all of that off to the side and just take the classes that I am doing for my career and earn certificates.

So I did that and I now have my certificate of completion and proficiency in graphic design so now I have knowledge of how to edit movies.

Today, I am going for 3D editing, the world is moving to 3D so why just stop at 2D. The problem is that I have to take art classes and I am no artist. I do the work and see the others and just want to fade away, seeing there work is breath taking. Still, I get the work done and that's where I am right now.

So, hope fully hearing my story will help you to feel a bit better, I hope.
We all have difficulties in school and I could tell you all my problems and how I over came them, but that would be for another time.

You see, that one of the problems with my school. They dont have any programs or anything to help someone having trouble like I am. They have thoes special classes for the kids with down syndrome and such, and they also have a class called AVID, but its a class for helping average and abouve average students. Thats all they offer. You can get peer tutoring and parent tutoring. But thats not what I need XP
I just wish we were in the US right now so I could get the appropriate help.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:13 pm
It seems like quite the predicament.

One thing that would really help out (if you mentioned it in your post I must have missed it). Get a tutor for each subject that you have difficulty in. One on one learning would probably be the best in your situation.

Hopefully you still have time to improve before your finals!  

00Shoe
Captain

Neko Queen Nala

Partying Friend

7,550 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Befriended 100
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:19 pm
What shoe said is the best advice as far as schooling goes but try and relax being stressed out makes learning things even harder. Try some chamomile tea to help you relax as well as sounds of nature music when you are studying. and if you need a pick me up try some chai tea on top of a natural pick up it also helps curb hunger a plus since to much stress can make you want to eat more.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:05 am
Yes, thank you for the advice ^^
When school gets back in I will be seeking as much help as I can get.

Lol, I dont really think being more hungry would be a bad thing XD im underweight and one of the lightest people I know around my age.  

Hogosha neko

Neko Queen Nala

Partying Friend

7,550 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Befriended 100
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:10 pm
Hogosha neko

Lol, I dont really think being more hungry would be a bad thing XD im underweight and one of the lightest people I know around my age.

In that case i would agree but becarefull how and how much you gain. If you eat the wrong things and it could weaken your health.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:14 am
Hogosha neko

Hmm is there anyway you could get your hands on a rosetta stone for japanese.

Japanese is a very hard language to learn the way they form their sentences is backward. In fact Spanish is the same they state things in a completely reverse order reading it would be super hard @.@ I took 3 years of spanish and don't remember much past the basics i mean if i had to i could probably remember a bit more but for now I don't remember much.

High school can be tough but keep working at it ^^

As for art I understand I myself am fairly good at art but i talked another friend into taking art for a semester basically so i could talk to her. It was fun and I helped her with quite a bit of it >.> even when the teacher told me not to <.<

However my art teacher taught me a valuable lesson one day I noticed him giving another student an A as he gave me an A and that persons work was less than stellar and I asked him why.

He told me "I'm grading some on the final product but a lot of the grade is your actual effort."
Some students aren't as good at art but its the effort that counts and its pretty obvious who did and didn't put effort into a piece.

So i have definatly changed my outlook on art I don't judge others by what i can do (because frankly there are many artists much better than I and many much worse) I try to find good things in every ones art while giving them a reachable goal to do to increase their talent ^^ So even if you see amazing pieces others make know that you tried your best and currently your best may not look like Tommy's or Suzie's (XD) but know that you tried your hardest and you are still growing ^^  

Dark-Velvet-Revolver

9,000 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Dressed Up 200

Gingerznapz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:59 pm
Dark-Velvet-Revolver
Hogosha neko

Japanese is a very hard language to learn the way they form their sentences is backward. In fact Spanish is the same they state things in a completely reverse order reading it would be super hard @.@ I took 3 years of spanish and don't remember much past the basics i mean if i had to i could probably remember a bit more but for now I don't remember much.

As for art I understand I myself am fairly good at art but i talked another friend into taking art for a semester basically so i could talk to her. It was fun and I helped her with quite a bit of it >.> even when the teacher told me not to <.<

However my art teacher taught me a valuable lesson one day I noticed him giving another student an A as he gave me an A and that persons work was less than stellar and I asked him why.

He told me "I'm grading some on the final product but a lot of the grade is your actual effort."
Some students aren't as good at art but its the effort that counts and its pretty obvious who did and didn't put effort into a piece.

So i have definatly changed my outlook on art I don't judge others by what i can do (because frankly there are many artists much better than I and many much worse) I try to find good things in every ones art while giving them a reachable goal to do to increase their talent ^^ So even if you see amazing pieces others make know that you tried your best and currently your best may not look like Tommy's or Suzie's (XD) but know that you tried your hardest and you are still growing ^^

I dont think Rosetta Stone would help very much, not only is it SUPER DUPER expensive but because it doesnt teach through normal methods (they made the program to teach through immersion rather than translation) I'm not sure it would help with the school/grading/ such and such.

Take a deep breath and just remember that high school is just high school, it wont last forever and ten years down the road you'll be relieved you got through it. You mentioned they offer tutoring, that would probably help a lot if you went through with it. Maybe set up study sessions with classmates afterschool?  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:27 am
Atreesha
Dark-Velvet-Revolver
Hogosha neko

I dont think Rosetta Stone would help very much, not only is it SUPER DUPER expensive but because it doesnt teach through normal methods (they made the program to teach through immersion rather than translation) I'm not sure it would help with the school/grading/ such and such.

Take a deep breath and just remember that high school is just high school, it wont last forever and ten years down the road you'll be relieved you got through it. You mentioned they offer tutoring, that would probably help a lot if you went through with it. Maybe set up study sessions with classmates afterschool?

I plan on seeking out the help when school gets back in ^^  

Hogosha neko

Serious discussion & Rants

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces