Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Occult Research Society

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to the study of the occult, in all its forms. 

Tags: Magick, Psionics, Supernatural, Paranormal, Occult 

Reply The Grimoire (Techniques, Rituals and Methods)
An Interest in Christian mysticism.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Beelzebunz

Tipsy Poster

6,600 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:20 pm
I know very little about it and the occult in general, suppose that concept may seem a little redundant. Anyway I wanted to discuss it with someone. I know that the power comes from a communion with god, probably through recitation of the scriptures, but I don't really know what the practical use is. I'm sure the active force would be the "holy spirit", but what do people gain from it that they couldn't from normal prayer. I have heard that some people use it for secular purpose, sometimes even selfish purposes, even vengeance. Anyways I really just want to know as much as I can on the matter; rituals, purposes, everything.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:39 pm
What exactly are you looking for? Just the magical side of Christianity? Or some more of the sketchier practices? Miracle work?

I mean there's a lot in the means of Prophetic dreams. Which are one of the normally accepted things in Christianity, which no one really shakes a finger at. Those supposedly come from God or messengers of God.

There's a bit in scripture about demonic possession as well. But I've heard of something similar that's actually practiced in churches. Something about having the "holy spirit" enter you instead. But from I saw and read about it, it looks more like a low key, controlled channeling.  

Leeches in my peaches

Distinct Prophet

8,500 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250

Beelzebunz

Tipsy Poster

6,600 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:17 pm
Christianity is itself mystic in a sense already, but I was actually thinking of the use of christian magic. Some people believe that you can gain something more literal from rituals besides normal prayer. In my experience prayer only brings spiritual enlightenment, and sometimes either helps you to come to your own solutions or brings others to your aid. For example, Our car had broke down out on some secluded road in St. Pete, Florida. My Mom prayed for help from god and moments later a bunch of Jehovah's Witnesses came by asking if we needed help. In my opinion it was more than a coincidence. Prayer answered.
Anyway, I guess some people believe that if prayer is accompanied by something else, results can be different, or more effective. So Id like to know about that sect of Christianity specifically.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:41 pm
You might want to look into Pow-wow.  

Obscurus

Otherworldly Foe

18,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Big Tipper 100

Taigamma

Shadowy Paladin

8,850 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Battle: KO 200
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:08 pm
Do you mean Thaumaturgy?  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:15 pm
I was thinking more along the lines of christian practitioners of magic. I believe Rosicrucianism would be an example. I suppose miracles could be compared to it though.

Beelzebunz

Tipsy Poster

6,600 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200

Taigamma

Shadowy Paladin

8,850 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Battle: KO 200
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:31 am
Well if magicians use Thaumaturge too, I guess miracles are magical.
Perhaps they are a form of holy magic?  
The Grimoire (Techniques, Rituals and Methods)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games