Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Occult Research Society

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to the study of the occult, in all its forms. 

Tags: Magick, Psionics, Supernatural, Paranormal, Occult 

Reply The Occult Research Society
Freaky Tech Issues?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

mikeplusplus

Codebreaking Genius

6,850 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:36 pm
In the course of about a month to a month and a half, the following have happened:

1: Two of our computers have gotten viruses.
2: The pinball machine we have in our basement started freaking out.
3: The AC on the second story of our house stopped working.

For all this to happen in such a short timeframe, and for the fact that (outside the problem with the AC), I'm the only one who's been unaffected by these strange issues, this seems like some paranormal thing or a bunch of coincidences.

Any thoughts on that?  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:39 pm
honestly, no. does seem like a coincidence. owning 9 pinball machines myself, i know its common for them to freak out if the smallest thing is wrong. especially if you miss it and it propagates. and viruses are common. even on the tightest of security. especially if its windows ninja you cant make those truly secure *cough cough idiots* and depends on the AC. if its older than 5 years, less if from a cheaper brand, it could. if its new then it could be a misinstallation. sure itall happening in such a small time sounds fishy, but it can. my grandmothers appliances all quit in the same week (cept that damned microwave) but im sure its just coincidence. for now anyways sweatdrop  

BSPBleach

Proxy Gaian

8,000 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

mikeplusplus

Codebreaking Genius

6,850 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:49 pm
BSPBleach
honestly, no. does seem like a coincidence. owning 9 pinball machines myself, i know its common for them to freak out if the smallest thing is wrong. especially if you miss it and it propagates. and viruses are common. even on the tightest of security. especially if its windows ninja you cant make those truly secure *cough cough idiots* and depends on the AC. if its older than 5 years, less if from a cheaper brand, it could. if its new then it could be a misinstallation. sure itall happening in such a small time sounds fishy, but it can. my grandmothers appliances all quit in the same week (cept that damned microwave) but im sure its just coincidence. for now anyways sweatdrop

lol k. sounds good.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:51 pm
MikePlusPlus
BSPBleach

lol k. sounds good.

'k. sounds good.'?? eek that sounds bad gonk  

BSPBleach

Proxy Gaian

8,000 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

mikeplusplus

Codebreaking Genius

6,850 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:28 pm
BSPBleach
MikePlusPlus
BSPBleach

lol k. sounds good.

how question  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:42 pm
MikePlusPlus
BSPBleach
MikePlusPlus
BSPBleach

lol k. sounds good.

how question

i dunno....guess the way you say it makes you sound......i dunno. like you dont believe me or something. i dunno im confused now >< and said i dunno like three times x.x  

BSPBleach

Proxy Gaian

8,000 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

mikeplusplus

Codebreaking Genius

6,850 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:49 pm
BSPBleach
MikePlusPlus
BSPBleach
MikePlusPlus
BSPBleach

lol k. sounds good.

how question

i dunno....guess the way you say it makes you sound......i dunno. like you dont believe me or something. i dunno im confused now >< and said i dunno like three times x.x

4 times biggrin  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:51 pm
MikePlusPlus
BSPBleach
MikePlusPlus
BSPBleach
MikePlusPlus
BSPBleach

lol k. sounds good.

how question

4 times biggrin

razz  

BSPBleach

Proxy Gaian

8,000 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Obscurus

Otherworldly Foe

18,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Big Tipper 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:54 pm
There's a saying, "When it rains it pours."

My household has had three water leaks in three different places in about nine months time. The first was a hot water line actually coming out of it's coupling when the shower was turned off. Then about five months later the kitchen faucet's hot water would not shut off and continuously trickled. It had been dripping/leaking for a long time but suddenly became more of a gush. Finally, there was a pinhole leak in a plastic water line buried in our yard that leads from the main.

It's interesting that all of these related to water, all were kind of severe, and all required an inconvenient amount of effort to fix. Do I think it was paranormal? The thought crossed my mind, especially with the pinhole leak in the plastic water line. I don't think it was caused by some kind of malicious paranormal force though. I think it was just things going wrong all around the same time. I've had a similar kind of thing happen to my car before: Replace one part and then another part of the car messes up.

I don't really believe in coincidence; I think sometimes things happen to teach us lessons, even if the event is rather mundane. That being, sometimes things happen to get our attention and are for our eyes only as far as having deeper meaning. It can be uncanny but I don't think these events are paranormal beyond like attracting like or teaching us lessons.

As I said, when it rains it pours.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:57 am
I have to agree with these guys. Probably not paranormal. Just lots of s**t hitting the fan at once. Now if it was something freakydeaky like every window in the house cracking in one day, or all your TVs getting an insane amount of static at the same time, maybe. But it's not. So just get the stuff fixed and stop worrying about it! biggrin  

Sonkurra-Taichou

Dapper Guildsman

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Conventioneer 300

mikeplusplus

Codebreaking Genius

6,850 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:18 am
Sonkurra-Taichou
I have to agree with these guys. Probably not paranormal. Just lots of s**t hitting the fan at once. Now if it was something freakydeaky like every window in the house cracking in one day, or all your TVs getting an insane amount of static at the same time, maybe. But it's not. So just get the stuff fixed and stop worrying about it! biggrin

lol freakydeaky...i like that word lol  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:50 am
Obscurus
There's a saying, "When it rains it pours."

My household has had three water leaks in three different places in about nine months time. The first was a hot water line actually coming out of it's coupling when the shower was turned off. Then about five months later the kitchen faucet's hot water would not shut off and continuously trickled. It had been dripping/leaking for a long time but suddenly became more of a gush. Finally, there was a pinhole leak in a plastic water line buried in our yard that leads from the main.

It's interesting that all of these related to water, all were kind of severe, and all required an inconvenient amount of effort to fix. Do I think it was paranormal? The thought crossed my mind, especially with the pinhole leak in the plastic water line. I don't think it was caused by some kind of malicious paranormal force though. I think it was just things going wrong all around the same time. I've had a similar kind of thing happen to my car before: Replace one part and then another part of the car messes up.

I don't really believe in coincidence; I think sometimes things happen to teach us lessons, even if the event is rather mundane. That being, sometimes things happen to get our attention and are for our eyes only as far as having deeper meaning. It can be uncanny but I don't think these events are paranormal beyond like attracting like or teaching us lessons.

As I said, when it rains it pours.

lol similar things happen at my house all the time. seems almost paranormal though due to the strangely high frequency of stuff happening xD
like yours most of the stuff seems water related like random leaks, hot water problems, pipes apparently not working, etc. other then that some lights randomly go off occasionally, problems with our elevator come up often etc. the one thing that really seemed odd to me is that one time, 3 unrelated things broke simultaneously without much reason.
the house is apparently also quite new so i don't know that would be happening so frequently razz  

neko-mata-01

mikeplusplus

Codebreaking Genius

6,850 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:25 pm
Update: The AC guy came and fixed it up, and on his way out accidentally decimated the mailbox. Any spells for getting rid of gremlins? xd  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:11 pm
rofl nice xd  

BSPBleach

Proxy Gaian

8,000 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Vanilla eXee
Captain

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:24 pm

Seems like typical electronics problems. Get some better security on your computer and do virus/malware/adware checks EVERY week. Only visit trusted websites, keep your anti-bad stuff programs updated, update your firewall and keep it turned on. Also don't download anything suspicious.

If I thought there was something paranormal going on for every bad thing that happened to me in a row, I'd be in a nut house.

The Occult Research Society

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games