Welcome to Gaia! ::

HighTail Cafe (Furry Guild)

Back to Guilds

HTC is your one stop for all things furry on Gaia! 

Tags: furry, anthro, anthropomorphic, LGBT, roleplay 

Reply HighTail Cafe
New Pet. :)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

[Read the thread first.] Did you get the joke? ;)
  Lol! Good name choice, mate!
  I don't get it... Who's Yo-Yo Ma?
  What joke? *scratches head*
View Results

Celtic zombie-kitten

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:18 pm
So I recently purchased (or, rather, my stepdad purchased for me) a new little aquatic friend: a fiddler crab. *does a happy dance*
It's hard to believe now that I didn't want him at first, but I quickly warmed up to the cute little guy, who [I think] I've somewhat cleverly named Yo-Yo Ma. (Tell me if you get it. wink )
Anyway, I was doing some research earlier, and I've made a horrible discovery! Millions of pet fiddler crabs are dying all the time, because most people don't know how to take proper care of them! D:
In the pet stores, fiddlers are kept fully submerged in fresh water tanks; this is wrong. The pet store owners obviously don't study these creatures well enough to know that they are meant to be amphibious, partial salt-water dwellers who need dry land to climb onto at times. So I've taken on the project of building a small terrarium for little Yo-Yo Ma, connected by a ramp to the aquarium so he can crawl back and forth between land and water as he likes without disturbing the habitat of my fish.
In time, if all goes well, I also hope to purchase a female crab so he won't be so lonely. smile

Anybody on here know anything about fiddler crabs, or have any tips on keeping them happy and healthy?  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:16 pm
Nice name! Rule number one of fiddler crab ownership, Never Put Two Males Together! they will eat each other. Other than that fiddler crabs are pretty low maintenance. Enjoy.  

DungeonMastah

Celtic zombie-kitten

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:51 pm
DungeonMastah
Nice name! Rule number one of fiddler crab ownership, Never Put Two Males Together! they will eat each other. Other than that fiddler crabs are pretty low maintenance. Enjoy.
Lol ok. Thankx! 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:42 pm
=D a fiddler crab, they look so cute (to my opinion anyways), but i dont know much about them.

haha, i get the name.

sorry i dont have much to say, im having a bit of a block.  

FirionTheDragon

Chieftain Twilight

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:51 pm
"low-maintanance" animals are only low-maintanance to the same degree that humans are. just because they don't need too much to survive, doesn't mean you don't need to provide more for them.

I've met all of one Fiddler Crab that ddn't like to fiddle with things. whee give it rocks and sticks and things to play with, and be sure to love it tenderly. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:23 pm
Chieftain Twilight
whee give it rocks and sticks and things to play with, and be sure to love it tenderly. 3nodding
lol okay. xP  

Celtic zombie-kitten

Celtic zombie-kitten

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:29 pm
Aww, now I feel kind of bad...
Earlier, when I first put in the ramp, he immediately started climbing on it, but then I had to take it out to make some adjustments, and now he's afraid to climb on it again. So if he won't climb on the ramp he might die from being fully submerged too long. D:

EDIT: No longer is this a problem. The crab finally climbed AT&T the way to the top of the ramp. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:33 pm
just a wild guess maybe he is afraid or just thinking, "I know she going to do it again." XD maybe you could put some things on top of the ramp, it might not work but it just a sudgestion. it worked for my chinese water dragon, Dokuro and my sis' cat.  

FirionTheDragon

Chieftain Twilight

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:43 pm
oh no! poor thing. sad he doesn't know you only meant to improve it for him.  
HighTail Cafe

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games