Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Occult Research Society

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to the study of the occult, in all its forms. 

Tags: Magick, Psionics, Supernatural, Paranormal, Occult 

Reply The Occult Research Society
The significance of darkness in rituals

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Beelzebunz

Tipsy Poster

6,600 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:44 pm
I have always been curious about it.
Why is important in so many different practices, I wouldn't think it is just to freak you out.
Do you all have any idea why it is important to rituals?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:08 pm
Is there something in particular that you are referring to? Generally speaking, in my opinion, having a representation of darkness in ritual is a way of showing respect to the polarities of light and darkness which are part of the nature of the earth. Although there can be any number of interpretations for what darkness is meant to represent. It doesn't necessarily have to signify the polarity between the two. Darkness does not mean evil. To me, it is similar to showing respect for the balance between male and female, which is also an important part of nature.  

Underworld Priestess

neko-mata-01

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:05 pm
hm well underworld proestess’ comment seems to pretty much refer to the concept of yin and yang. both are basically opposites yet form a whole.

darkness can for one limit ones visual perception of course so that might have something to do with it. also according to wikipedia "Yin is characterized as slow, soft, yielding, diffuse, cold, wet, and passive; and is associated with water, earth, the moon, femininity and nighttime.” another thing iv’e heard is that things such as ghosts will be associated with yin so yeah. although of course yin yang wouldn’t be a part of other religions (or at least not in the same way) generally for some reason darkness is associated with fear, ghosts, monsters, danger etc. after all would you want to be lost in a forest at night or day.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:54 pm
Actually I wasn't even thinking about Yin and Yang when I wrote that. I was referring more to ancient Pagan religions. Polytheistic religions have numerous deities that represent or that can be linked to life, death and chaos. Life I suppose you could consider the good with death and chaos representing the darkness. But death is not evil and I have heard it referred to as a "neutral" darkness with chaos then being possibly considered darker but still part of the natural order. Chaos gods are linked to storms, etc. All these deities were paid their proper respects and in modern times still are respected equally by certain people. To give examples of these deities, and I don't mean to step on any toes or anything but...with the Greeks you could consider these different sides to be Apollo (light and the sun). Hades (Underworld) and Ares (War). Ancient Egyptians - Ra (Sun), Osiris (Underworld), Set (Chaos and Storms). You can see how the list can go on from there. While sometimes the deities of death and chaos are considered evil for certain reasons that doesn't mean they are, yet they do represent dark qualities. It's not so cut and dry like it can be with Christians and God vs. Satan. Not all religious and spiritual paths view the opposite force as evil. For people that follow such religions they may perform rituals involving both as a means of respect or it may be more closely linked to their path.  

Underworld Priestess

Obscurus

Otherworldly Foe

18,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Big Tipper 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:35 pm
I think that it helps with mindset. Sure, darkness has a lot of symbolism when contrasted with light but I think that doing rituals by candlelight is for psychological effect. Candlelight makes it harder to notice distractions across the room if you are doing a working in a room not dedicated totally to ritual work. The soft light is also relaxing.

Some specific practices require some darkness to get the necessary effect. Getting the right shine on a scrying mirror for instance. However, I've experimented with scrying during the day as opposed to doing it at night and as long as I can get the desired shine effect then it seems to work all the same.

Ultimately I think that darkness is just an aid to a mindset whether it's the actual darkness or the symbolism of the darkness. Sometimes that primal fear of the dark can also add some power to whatever you're doing if you utilize that fear and adrenaline.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:24 pm
in my experiences, utalizing darkness is a way of displaying the importance of working prvately and in secret, as well as a means of inducing the primal energies and emotions and harnessing them. the right states of mind must be reached to perform Magic.

while utalizing light is a means of showing respect for the entities oneworks with, be they Gods, Spirits, or other forces. you are laying yourself bare to them, exposing yourself.

light reveals and darkness conceals. you must learn to use each when appropriate, in magic work as well as mundane life. you don't hide under a lit lamp, for example.  

Chieftain Twilight

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Elocutionist 200

Yogurto

4,750 Points
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:21 pm
Patron-Saint of Poppycock
I have always been curious about it.
Why is important in so many different practices, I wouldn't think it is just to freak you out.
Do you all have any idea why it is important to rituals?

this has got me thinkin.

i do most of my magic at night, before bed. this is mostly out of convenience - the house is quiet, i'm usually in a calm & relaxed state of mind, etc etc. this means that most of my circles take place in darkness. as a result, i've come to rely on my candles (usually just one, sometimes more if i'm feeling ornate) to demarcate the limit of my circle. i've even started to refer to the candlelight directly, verbalizing it into a protective space. it's very 'lion king' - "everything the light touches shall be yours."

but now i want to try casting a circle in complete darkness! darkness & shadow shouldn't be something i necessarily need to cast off or push back. as a witch, i wanna be comfortable with darkness. it's the dark moon, it's midnight, it's deep space. it's not evil, it's just quiet & invisible & full of potential!

sorry if this sounds super witchy 101 but i'm just now realizing how reliant i've become on fire/light imagery & power in my circles. time to shake things up! thanks for the post.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:31 pm
Yogurto

No, I think that is very interesting, you should tell me the results and difference in your experience. I don't practice ut I am very curious about it all.

Beelzebunz

Tipsy Poster

6,600 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200

Vanilla eXee
Captain

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:47 pm
In the past, people feared darkness because without lights and secure buildings, it really was dangerous. I believe the main significance is that left over instinct, the "power" of darkness. That, and in modern times, darkness can be calming because it is so rare.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:00 pm
Its probably because if a room is dark, and the room has other certain objects that are of significance, it can help your attention focus on only the combination of items, rather than the ordinary walls and windows and doors and such.  

Ask Jappleack

Greedy Consumer

Breakfast Sex

Romantic Lunatic

10,050 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:19 am
Hmm I agree with what most people have mentioned here..

And actually, for me - in my own experiences.. I practice magick at night. I'm drawn to doing it when it's peaceful...calming.. and power just surges through me during night than day. sweatdrop Plus, I get better effects when I do spells/rituals at night too. hehee. And my family is normally asleep when I practice my stuff making it more better for me.

Darkness in rituals doesn't always have to be "evil" per say... nor it doesn't mean your doing something bad either... it's just another power...
at least in my opinion. I love casting when the moon is up and I can feel its energy flowing.. =D Ohhh.. such power is amazing to feel.. 4laugh
Hmmm..also i feel lots of emotions during the night... darkness brings out the most out of me... my most powerful emotions to push out through energy. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:34 pm
The darkness takes you out of the room. If everything were visible, then you are aware of your existence in mundane reality. By removing these things from sight, you allow your mind to perform a paradigm shift to the consciousness needed to perform your act of Will. As the old saying goes, out of sight, out of mind.

By removing the world from your consciousness, you create a new one through your actions. And this new world is not bound by the whims of society, culture, nationalism, money, or the masses. The only rules which apply in this new setting are the ones you author--the possibilities are endless.  

Some Dude From Guam

Versatile Genius

7,300 Points
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Tycoon 200

Obscurus

Otherworldly Foe

18,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Big Tipper 100
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:25 pm
The NOCTEM Prince
The darkness takes you out of the room. If everything were visible, then you are aware of your existence in mundane reality. By removing these things from sight, you allow your mind to perform a paradigm shift to the consciousness needed to perform your act of Will. As the old saying goes, out of sight, out of mind.

By removing the world from your consciousness, you create a new one through your actions. And this new world is not bound by the whims of society, culture, nationalism, money, or the masses. The only rules which apply in this new setting are the ones you author--the possibilities are endless.

This.  
The Occult Research Society

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff