BluDragon35
Vice Captain

Wealthy Sex Symbol

7,200 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:32 pm
What are your oppinions on the marketing of "love parrots" and "kissing gouramis" as valentines day gifts?

How do you feel about the "mutilation" of the parrots to make them look like hearts?

Personally, I'm not all that against it. The fish don't feel anything, and apparently it doesn't affect their way of life any.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:44 pm
Kissing goramis get 12" each. That's a horrible gift. eek  

Kansai_Gal

Aged Browser

BluDragon35
Vice Captain

Wealthy Sex Symbol

7,200 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:25 am
Kansai Gal
Kissing goramis get 12" each. That's a horrible gift. eek
Pish posh, size is only relative to the size of the tank. whee
They are good algae eaters though. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:49 am
BluDragon35
What are your oppinions on the marketing of "love parrots" and "kissing gouramis" as valentines day gifts?

How do you feel about the "mutilation" of the parrots to make them look like hearts?

Personally, I'm not all that against it. The fish don't feel anything, and apparently it doesn't affect their way of life any.
they mutilate the parrots? what? i've never heard of this...poor birdies. I think the idea of kissing gouramis is cute for v-day presents so long as the reciever of the gift knows how to care for them...but really in general one shouldn't give pets as gifts as they soon become neglected. But i guess that really only counts for pets that don't live in water and aren't amphibious or reptilian.  

Avarswiel

SquishyAngeh
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:01 am
Avarswiel
BluDragon35

they mutilate the parrots? what? i've never heard of this...poor birdies. I think the idea of kissing gouramis is cute for v-day presents so long as the reciever of the gift knows how to care for them...but really in general one shouldn't give pets as gifts as they soon become neglected. But i guess that really only counts for pets that don't live in water and aren't amphibious or reptilian.

sorry to say, he wasnt talking about birds deary...he was talking about the parrot fish, they get about 6 inches long, and they are kinda parrotty looking...LOL, but they "come" in lots of differant colors, typically I think they are born bland looking, but the disributors of this specific breed puts it through a dye type process where they come out blue, purple, red, orange, or maybe some other colors!  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:27 pm
This is a natural born parrot fish:
User Image
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v163/angelabrock75/Parrotfish1.jpg

And this is pretty much what they do to them after the dyeing process.......its pretty sad:
User Image
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v163/angelabrock75/Parrotfish2.jpg  

SquishyAngeh
Crew

Kansai_Gal

Aged Browser

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:30 pm
I can't see the links, but they do develop more vibrant color as they age.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:39 am
I was just basically meaning that blue and purple arent their natural colors  

SquishyAngeh
Crew

MsDiscord

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:36 pm
BluDragon35

evil You CAN'T be serious. Where the heck did you hear that fish don't feel any pain? That's ridiculous. They are living, sentient creatures - living things feel pain.

As for the parrots not being affected, you have obviously not done any research. First off, they should not even EXIST in the first place. They are a MANMADE species, not natural. Humans should not screw around with nature like that.
Also, with the types of cichlds that they use to create these monstrosities, the melding of the two create malformed mouths, so that the fish have a VERY hard time eating.

And I won't even get into fish dying.....  
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 3:42 pm
MsDiscord
BluDragon35

evil You CAN'T be serious. Where the heck did you hear that fish don't feel any pain? That's ridiculous. They are living, sentient creatures - living things feel pain.

As for the parrots not being affected, you have obviously not done any research. First off, they should not even EXIST in the first place. They are a MANMADE species, not natural. Humans should not screw around with nature like that.
Also, with the types of cichlds that they use to create these monstrosities, the melding of the two create malformed mouths, so that the fish have a VERY hard time eating.

And I won't even get into fish dying.....
Haha, when I said they don't feely anything, that's what I meant. They are sedated so that they go numb. And second, they are man-made, so the disfiguring of the tails won't hinder their way of life any. And I don't know about you....but they seem to have a pretty easy time eating when I feed them. wink  

BluDragon35
Vice Captain

Wealthy Sex Symbol

7,200 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

xLandSharkx

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:57 pm
You know it would be cool to give fishies as a valentines gift. YA KNOW?! Like a betta or a few guppies ( one male one female ) in a small heart shaped tank or fish bag!! The fish would be put into a plastic bag ( as usual ) then put into another bag thats the shape of a heart. And in the middle of the heart is a window so you can see the fishies!!

...................I'm thinking too much. I got that whole idea from looking at the tile of your post. Thanks!! Now I'm going to go make it a new post!!!  
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 3:20 pm
I've had dyed fish so I don't know what to say about the whole "dyeing fish is evil" argument (it's a one time shot and they've stayed colored for life for me). For being unconcious and all, they must be a lot less freaked out than birds getting their wings clipped (yay for trimming budgie wings >< ><) which happens whenever the flight feathers grow back.

I can honestly say though that pets are the WORST [surprise] gift ever. Unless say, it's for your wife or something and you promise to take care of the pets for their life. Making someone take care of an animal they weren't expecting (and possibly don't know how to care for!) is pretty horrible for all parties involved.

Only a year late, whatever!  

Kansai_Gal

Aged Browser

BluDragon35
Vice Captain

Wealthy Sex Symbol

7,200 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 10:04 pm
Unless you know the person you're giving the gift to is an avid aquarist. Then its all good. whee
But then you'll have to know what kind 'o fish they have....so you get the right kind of fishies....very complicated.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:23 am
There are loads of fish bred without tails and it doesn't hinder them at all...the penduncles and other fins are longer to act just as tails do, so they're fine. They can swim and fight just as ell as other fish...so I don't mind. What I HATE is bubble eye fish...'cos it DOES hinder them. They can't be put in a natural environment, they can't be put with many other fish, they can't feed well, they can't swim well etc etc etc...
If people buy those, I'm sure love parrot fish are fine. x3

And they aren't dyed, just another colour variation. =]

Kissing gouramis are quite cool...I like them. ^_^

But I HATE people who give animals as presents. It's not right and shouldn't happen EVER.
eople should choose their own pets. Pets are for LIFE, so let them choose which animal they'll be stuck with. o_O;

Being given an animal you don't completely love is just asking for neglect and abuse to happen.

Pisty

Big Member

Pisty

Big Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:27 am
MsDiscord
First off, they should not even EXIST in the first place. They are a MANMADE species, not natural. Humans should not screw around with nature like that.
So are goldfish. And dogs. And cats. And a lot of birds.

We;d be ******** for pets if we never had any species that we'd bred.

----::::The FISH Tank::::----

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games