Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Sailor Moon Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for those who love Sailor Moon. (Big Fourum RP needs more players). 

Tags: Sailor moon, Moon, Roleplay, Anime, Manga 

Reply Home
is sailormoon a mary sue? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Zahmira

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:27 pm
Solar Kitty-chan
Zahmira
~Alechsa~
Mary Sue = A character INSERTED into a pre-existing story.

Therefore all original characters are exempt from this word. Sailor Moon is not a Mary Sue. Sailor SilverStarGloryMoon, who is Serenity's twin sister yet somehow much more beautiful, and steals away Mamoru then takes over the leadership because Usagi suddenly dies or is thrown out by the others in favor of this much cooler senshi, IS a Mary Sue.
Pretty much my definition of a Mary Sue, except the pre-existing story part.

Sailor Moon could be a Mary Sue if Takeuchi made her an idealised version of herself.

I'll agree on most of this but I don't think all fan characters are Mary-Sues. Some of them turn out to be really complex characters.
Absolutly not. Actually, if I remember correctly, there was a quiz somewhere that you could put your original character through to find out if they were a Mary Sue (or Gary Stu) or not.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:01 pm
Zahmira
Absolutly not. Actually, if I remember correctly, there was a quiz somewhere that you could put your original character through to find out if they were a Mary Sue (or Gary Stu) or not.

Yes, there are several of those type of quizzes that you can find - in some cases, for specific fandoms.

Nerina Lyon

Fashionable Millionaire

6,950 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Generous 100
  • Conversationalist 100

Solar Kitty-chan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:57 pm
You know, I never considered Michi to be very Mary-Sue-ish.

And It's always good to be able to have a constructive "debate" like this too. It gets others to start thinking.

I'd also like to add one more comment about the lover thing. It has to do with Minako. Even though Codename wa is a seperate entity and prequel to Sailormoon, she did have Adonis/Kaitou Ace/Danburite (who, in my opinion, is the must under rated Shitennou!). If I remember correctly (and I might be mistaken because it's been a while) when Ace died, didn't he kind of tell Minako that she would never have to choose between her duty and love again? I look on it as a sort of "curse" for Minako's lovelife. Like, more self-imposed than anything of course, but the way I see it is that Adonis really was the soul mate of Minako, right? So what I interperet it as is a carry over from that sort of. Like, the reason Minako doesn't have anyone in BSSM is because she had her own series dedicated to her and within that series, her own love story as well.

I don't know if that's at all understandable to anyone but me... but I tried!  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:57 am
I personally see Galaxia, Haruka, Makoto, and Minako as all being "stronger" than Usagi... Hotaru, Chaos-possessed Galaxia, and Setsuna, however, are the most powerful senshi in terms of abilities.

Haruka, Makoto, and Minako each have either martial arts black belts, or sports training. The best Usagi can ever do is throw discs, she can't dance well, and she can't really throw or kick things for decent damage.

Galaxia killed every senshi in the Galaxy, and (I'm sorry) she WOULD have killed Moon if not for that sappy talk they had in the anime, I haven't read the manga, so I'm not sure how Moon gets out of being killed there. Hotaru and Setsuna can destroy everything if they so wished it, it's just taboo to them because their power is now meant to protect all of the universe, not end it at a whim.

Moon can purify bodies and make wishes. That's ALL she can do when you put it together. She's not the most powerful or strongest, or even the BEST senshi there is. She's just the kindest and most trusting. She doesn't befriend EVERYONE, she does have to resort to killing many enemies, especially the way Naoko writes her.

I don't see her as Mary Sue at all. 3nodding  

Syndrama

Luamervara
Crew

Demonic Immortal

27,550 Points
  • Haunted Haute Couture: Cute 200
  • Fan Before It Was Cool 500
  • Are You Jelly? 500
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:49 am
~Alechsa~
I personally see Galaxia, Haruka, Makoto, and Minako as all being "stronger" than Usagi... Hotaru, Chaos-possessed Galaxia, and Setsuna, however, are the most powerful senshi in terms of abilities.

Haruka, Makoto, and Minako each have either martial arts black belts, or sports training. The best Usagi can ever do is throw discs, she can't dance well, and she can't really throw or kick things for decent damage.

Galaxia killed every senshi in the Galaxy, and (I'm sorry) she WOULD have killed Moon if not for that sappy talk they had in the anime, I haven't read the manga, so I'm not sure how Moon gets out of being killed there. Hotaru and Setsuna can destroy everything if they so wished it, it's just taboo to them because their power is now meant to protect all of the universe, not end it at a whim.

Moon can purify bodies and make wishes. That's ALL she can do when you put it together. She's not the most powerful or strongest, or even the BEST senshi there is. She's just the kindest and most trusting. She doesn't befriend EVERYONE, she does have to resort to killing many enemies, especially the way Naoko writes her.

I don't see her as Mary Sue at all. 3nodding

whee If it wasn't possible, I wanna have your babies ^vv^!

But *spoiling th Manga stuff*, the way she dies in the Manga is pretty simple. Galaxia died when her bracelet broke (I think don't have it infront of me..so this may be amended...) and she 'distentagrates'. I think that's to show that she was missing a starseed too.
Anyway, after ressucted Mamoru is pushed off in the calduron and galaxia dies, It's Sailormoon and Chibi Chibi. Chibi Chibi, being Cosmos, is trying to get Sailormoon to destory the calduron after Chaose reveals itself telling them ' that all the villains and your friends their starseeds were born here. in this galaxy caldorun.' (<- which would lead the reader to believe that there would be more like that).
So, in the end Chibi Chib has hope from Eternal Sailormoon's talk and transforms into SailorCosmos after she kisses E. Moon. (>>;; which would've sorta broken the rules that naoko laid down about past and present and future stuff...).

So, after one more encouraging words from Cosmos, Eternal Moon starts to gather power in the Silver crystal (her starseed) and other starseeds (Asteoid Senshi's too) started to glow in response of this powerful 'wish'.

And she jumps in the calodrun her body distentargarting as she does so.

The power in which she gathered from the other Starseeds purfied the calduron. In affect makes it 'reborn' I believe.

And inside the cauldorn you meet this fairy like gaurdian.

but..alas...you need to read it all to get it. x.x I don't think I've explained it well.

But yeah, Moon...makes wishes and she purfies things. She some times destorys them too. Like in the manga when all her friends were resucceted (excuse my awful spelling.) She had to fight against them.

And then after them she had to fight against Galaxia- who wasn't possessed!

Now, I'm sorry, but Galaxia nearly kicked her butt if it wasn't the emotional thing.

The 'evil' senshi broke that angel's wings if it wasn't for the flaw of the bracelet, they would've killed her. x.x;;

If chibi moon and her senshi weren't there to help (chibi chibi too!)

I think she would still be trying to reason with them and...well...she would die...x.x;;

Cosmos is suppose to be a more powerful form of Sailormoon. x.x But...

I don't get one thing about her.

In the Manga she says ' I have the power of Lambda..the power to lose everything or save it.' <~ in a way I thought it a was a little mary-sueish,but I get more confused when I looked up the word.

Lambda is the 11th letter in the creek alphabet. It is also : the point of junction of the sagittal and lambdoid sutures of the skull

@_@;;

So...I am sorta confused. (And I think you may be too..xx?) about that.
I think Naoko more or less went with the greek stuff which is her MO...

But, she made Cosmos say 'Lambda' oppose to saying 'Alpha' or 'Omega' or 'Zeta' but...Lambda= 11.

And yes, I'm rambling out my thoughts on this one. But in all including Earth we have what? mars, merc., venus, Jup, Earth. moon. uran. nep, Pluto and Saturn in all. so that's like what? ten in all....maybe add Chibiusa? >.>?

which makes 11.

...err...you see where I'm going with this? @_@? That her power came from others mixed with her own to become Cosmos. Oo;; *does that kinda...make sense?*  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:35 am
Solar Kitty-chan
I'd also like to add one more comment about the lover thing. It has to do with Minako. Even though Codename wa is a seperate entity and prequel to Sailormoon, she did have Adonis/Kaitou Ace/Danburite (who, in my opinion, is the must under rated Shitennou!).
Excuse me while I nitpick.

He technically isn't a Shitennou. The "Shi" in Shitennou means four. I think Danburite said that he worked under the Shitennou, but he wasn't one of them.  

Zahmira

Luamervara
Crew

Demonic Immortal

27,550 Points
  • Haunted Haute Couture: Cute 200
  • Fan Before It Was Cool 500
  • Are You Jelly? 500
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:27 pm
Zahmira
Solar Kitty-chan
I'd also like to add one more comment about the lover thing. It has to do with Minako. Even though Codename wa is a seperate entity and prequel to Sailormoon, she did have Adonis/Kaitou Ace/Danburite (who, in my opinion, is the must under rated Shitennou!).
Excuse me while I nitpick.

He technically isn't a Shitennou. The "Shi" in Shitennou means four. I think Danburite said that he worked under the Shitennou, but he wasn't one of them.

As far as I know, he worked under Kunzite. He was once part of Venus's guards or something and he was transferred to Kunzite's section and worked under him.

He was never a General. But a solider under a general which made his love for Venus nearly impossible.

Even more so when Venus fell for Kunzite.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:41 pm
Hey, the sites I've seen and quotes I've seen have him referred to as a Shitennou. And even if it's wrong, I'm sticking to it.

How I See It: Before he became part of the Dark Kingdom, he was simply Adonis: A soldier of Venus.

After joining the Dark Kingdom (which he was part of) he became Danburite, a General with his own section even before the four we know as the Shitennnou appeared. Even if he wsa still under them, he was still a General in his own right and I group him under the title Shitennou. All in all, it's my preference to refer to him as such.  

Solar Kitty-chan

Zahmira

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:43 pm
There was a Fluorite as well if I remember correctly.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:43 pm
Solar Kitty-chan
Hey, the sites I've seen and quotes I've seen have him referred to as a Shitennou. And even if it's wrong, I'm sticking to it.

That's fine, as long as you realize that it revokes all your rights to yell at any of the members here who believe any and all rumors that they've heard on other sites and refuse to acknowledge the real information. 3nodding

Shitennou = literally "Four Heavenly Kings". Adonis is a soldier, with no royal ranking. I've seen sites that say Galaxia is Kakyuu, and that Chibi Chibi is Chibi Usa's child. That doesn't mean they are those things.

And yeah I do believe that there was a Flourite. There was also a Princess RinRin ( I hated her, she reminded me of Tian Pu/Shampoo from Ranma 1/2 ), and a lot of other characters in Sailor V heart It deepened the Dark Kingdom so much. I love the Dark Agency members! They should have put them in the anime ( without Princess Rin Rin >.> )  

Syndrama

Tanith_4486

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:38 am
Luamervara

Cosmos is suppose to be a more powerful form of Sailormoon. x.x But...

I don't get one thing about her.

In the Manga she says ' I have the power of Lambda..the power to lose everything or save it.' <~ in a way I thought it a was a little mary-sueish,but I get more confused when I looked up the word.

Lambda is the 11th letter in the creek alphabet. It is also : the point of junction of the sagittal and lambdoid sutures of the skull

@_@;;

So...I am sorta confused. (And I think you may be too..xx?) about that.
I think Naoko more or less went with the greek stuff which is her MO...

But, she made Cosmos say 'Lambda' oppose to saying 'Alpha' or 'Omega' or 'Zeta' but...Lambda= 11.

And yes, I'm rambling out my thoughts on this one. But in all including Earth we have what? mars, merc., venus, Jup, Earth. moon. uran. nep, Pluto and Saturn in all. so that's like what? ten in all....maybe add Chibiusa? >.>?

which makes 11.

...err...you see where I'm going with this? @_@? That her power came from others mixed with her own to become Cosmos. Oo;; *does that kinda...make sense?*

maybe the eleventh is not chibiusa but helios. helios is of the sun... I think... besides... Um, his name came from mythology... but um then again, I could be wrong.

But anyhow, back to the subject. if I ignore the preexisting character thing, would Sailor moon be a mary sue?
Edit.... I typed too fast and chibiusa became chibichibi... sorry if i confused anyone.><  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:36 am
insane_swordbunny4486
But anyhow, back to the subject. if I ignore the preexisting character thing, would Sailor moon be a mary sue?
I'm going to have to say no on that one. Even if Usagi was written with some of the traits of the author, she still doesn't give off the obvious aura of a Mary Sue.  

Zahmira

Tanith_4486

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:26 pm
okay, thanks, because some people say the usagi has a very perfect life... and all claimed that she was a mary sue... that was why I asked. Sorry if I sounded like a moron there.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:51 pm
She definitly doesn't have the perfect life. She ended up pretty good, but there was a lot of rough stuff she went through as well.  

Zahmira

Tanith_4486

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:47 am
I suppose so, I mean with all the betrayal, dying, being reborn, having to fight alot of monsters, having to find out about her future and having alot of tragic, dramatic moments in her life...  
Home

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff