User ImageCandy Cane CookiesUser Image

These holiday cookies are fun to make with kids or just when you need to release some frustration.

Ingredients
♠ 1 Cup butter or margarine
♠ 1 Cup powdered sugar
♠ 1 egg
♠ 2 teaspoons vanilla
♠ 1 Cup flour
♠ 1 teaspoon salt
♠ 1/2 Cup finely crushed candy cane mixed with 1/2 Cup sugar
♠ 1/2 teaspoon red food coloring

Directions
♣ Place your candy canes in a ziplock bag and take a rolling pin and start banging or rolling away on the candy canes. Be careful you don't do it too hard or else you might puncture the bag. Continue to crush or murder the candy canes until finely crushed.
Quick Tip: The first step is the best step I think. This is what your kids can do or what you can use to release some frustration.
♣ Once crushed transfer to a bowl and mix in the 1/2 Cup sugar. Set aside.
♣ Mix all other ingridients except the candy cane mixture.
♣ Split the dough into equal parts and color one part of the dough red.
♣ Refridgerate the dough long enough to be able to easily work with, about 2 or 3 hours.
♣ Break off one piece (about a teaspoon of each color) and roll by hand into 4 or 5 inch tubes.
Quick Tip: When I make these I don't always do the teaspoon measurement, I usually do about a tablespoon or a little more of each color. The teaspoon is too small for me to work with.
♣ Twist the two pieces of dough together and bend one end to form a candy cane.
Quick Tip: Try to move fast when making the "candy canes" or else the dough may become too soft and difficult to manage. If this happens simple put it back in the fridge and just work with the ones you've made already.
♣ Sprinkle the candy cane cookies with the candy cane/sugar mixture.
Quick Tip: I suggest you sprinkle them over a plate then place them on the baking sheet, easier clean up.
♣ Bake at 350 degrees for 6-9 minutes. Be VERY careful when removing the cookies from the baking sheet, they will break easily.