Welcome to Gaia! ::

PlayStation Guild

Back to Guilds

Tags: Playstation, playstation 3, Final Fantasy, xbox 360, Sony 

Reply Game Reviews.
Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten (Strategy/RPG)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tomha_Domizoko

Shirtless Businesswoman

8,200 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Loiterer 100
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:00 pm
Disgaea 4 is a sequel of a game series called Disgaea and one of the many games Nippon Ichi offers. 1 Important thing to note about the game is you do not need to play the previous Disgaea games before playing this. It will make sense and comes with very simple tutorials.

Plot: You start out with Lord Valvatorez, a Vampire who works as a Prinny Instructer. (The most pathetic job in the netherworld) At first your happy with working with your Prinnies (Play any of the games to learn more about them.) but you find out the netherworld is trying to kill all the prinnies because their overflowing in numbers in the netherworld. Val believes it's the corrupternments (governments) fault for allowing this to happens and plans to teach the president a lesson, Fenrich, the servant of Val plans to change this plan to have Val take over the corrupternment, insanity ensues...with sardines!

Gameplay: Your basic objective in any level is to defeat the enemies, sometimes you only need to go after the boss but you usually have to defeat everyone. While that's your basic goal you have other challenges on the map that could help or torment you.

This feature is called the Geo Effects: Colored panels powered by a Geo Cube giving various effects ( From increasing attack power to 1 hit killed ) to whoever steps on the colored panel. These cubes usually work both ways where both you and the enemy gain possible effects. The cubes and panels have a color but aren't always the same color, in this situation if you destroyed a red cube while it's on a yellow panel, all the yellow panels turn red and damage anyone that was on them. Multiple cubes trigger chain color changes and deal more damage. In story mode the cubes will usually offer the advantage to the enemy so you need to figure out how to change that.

Another important thing to note is team work. In a map you can only send out 10 characters into the turned base combat. With all the possible classes to choose from you can build your group anyway you see fit by having healers, mages, warriors, gunners, archers, and even monsters.

Another thing worth noting are the monsters. These guys can be pretty nasty if done well. Monsters have the ability to transform into weapons for your normal classes to use or fuse together into giant monsters, or even fuse into giant monsters to transform into giant weapons for the class to use, later on in the game your classes can duel wield these monsters as weapons, including the giant ones!

Characters: Every game needs characters and this game has plenty, new and old. The new characters are hard to have a middle ground for them in my opinion, you either love them or hate them.

The two main characters you start with are Lord Valvatorez and his servant Fenrich. These characters are a odd couple as Val is a vampire who not only holds promises as the most important thing in the world but instead of drinking blood, he eats sardines (Something of a running gag throughout the game he tries to kill you with sardine talk.) while Fenrich is a fanatically loyal werewolf that wants his master to drink blood and rule the netherworld. While Val can seem somewhat of a ditz Fenrich is always plotting and conniving all for his lord which borders on a stalker kind of love. ( which is pointed out by another character, twice I think. ) He even acts violently jealous when women talk to Valvatorez.

Another character that's worth mentioning is the 9th grade schoolgirl Fuka. This is a human girl who died and went to hell for why, we don't learn till later on. She believes that she's in a dream and at first that if she beats you her dream will become better, that or wake up. This fact also unlocks her full potential making this human schoolgirl as powerful as demons! Fuka is a pretty fun and enjoyable character to have in your group and gameplay wise she's a nasty little Lightning Bruiser who's weapon specialization is axes and swords.

There's alot more characters and they all have the ups and downs so I wont bore you about the others.

Features: I don't even know where to start here, you have tons of features to enjoy in this game. One of the biggest features to note however is how you can finally create your own maps. (Clear chapter 3 or 4 to unlock it) While this was a long awaited feature the feature has suffered heavily.

While in the japanese version the map editing system had no true censorship. In the American/European versions however we had to take this. Originally you were able to create the maps with any block types you wanted but due to the censorship you can only use premade tiles. This was to hope that players wont be able to create any curse words or offensive symbols. Also because of this the Japanese players of Disgaea 4 are cut off from other players. They also alter your characters names online so you can't offend people with offensive names, probably making them random. (I can't really confirm the name part but I wouldn't be surprised.)

Another part that's a serious pain is you need to use CP (I think it means Creation Points) to purchase pre-made tiles, geo cube effects and pirate ship parts. Earning these can be easy or just annoying. One of the ways you can earn the points is to create a "money map" and upload it where players can beat the map in 1 turn and max out their bonus gauge to 9 giving them as many points as they can get and usually promising you 500 points. While this sounds simple enough you need 100K CP to get the GOOD geo cubes and usually the map you make will probably be never played unless your friends play it. There are other ways of earning the points but this is pretty much the most direct approach.

While the map editing system is the biggest feature in the game there's still tons of others. Level cap 9999, able to deal trillions of damage, create your own pirate ship, create your own base, and more.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:03 pm
That's something to look forward to. I see the game is taking some new approach from it's predecessors.

I have played every Disgaea game (except for Disgaea 2), and I kind of know what to expect.

I love series for it's trillion "damagery," item world, pure leveling grinding and of course, the quirky characters and storyline.

Well done review.  

Omnibility

The Committee Staff Prophet

7,350 Points
  • Junior Trader 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Consumer 100

Robotic Draconian

Invisible Phantom

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:59 pm
I got it to ship today, so now I'm waiting for it to get here.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:03 pm
Alright, I got my premium edition and I played it for two or three hours, and so far I have to give it an 8.5 for being an awesome addition to the Disgaea series...now I just hope they release Gig downloadable content for america soon.  

Robotic Draconian

Invisible Phantom

Omnibility

The Committee Staff Prophet

7,350 Points
  • Junior Trader 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Consumer 100
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:41 pm
Robotic Draconian
Alright, I got my premium edition and I played it for two or three hours, and so far I have to give it an 8.5 for being an awesome addition to the Disgaea series...now I just hope they release Gig downloadable content for america soon.

That's what made me cling on Disgaea 3 for a bit longer. Definitely the DLC. I still need to get a copy for Disgaea 4. xP  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:43 pm
1 Thing I should mention guys is for your customizing map options you need to earn CP. You can make your Money Grinding maps but I'd honestly recommend having friends so they can play it and rank it 5/5. They get CP for playing the map, and you get CP for their ratings.

I'd be willing to help you guys Grind it up if you'd do the same for me xD

Tomha90 is my username, gimme a friend request and I'll pop on and run through your maps and give ya 5/5  

Tomha_Domizoko

Shirtless Businesswoman

8,200 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Loiterer 100

Robotic Draconian

Invisible Phantom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:59 am
Tomha_Domizoko
1 Thing I should mention guys is for your customizing map options you need to earn CP. You can make your Money Grinding maps but I'd honestly recommend having friends so they can play it and rank it 5/5. They get CP for playing the map, and you get CP for their ratings.

I'd be willing to help you guys Grind it up if you'd do the same for me xD

Tomha90 is my username, gimme a friend request and I'll pop on and run through your maps and give ya 5/5

Sweet. I'm DQ8MAN. Expect a friend request from me soon.  
Game Reviews.

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games