Welcome to Gaia! ::

PlayStation Guild

Back to Guilds

Tags: Playstation, playstation 3, Final Fantasy, xbox 360, Sony 

Reply PlayStation 3 Guild
Why a silent protagonist if you didn't design the character?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Bao Sanniang

Shirtless Shapeshifter

12,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:15 pm
Link, Gordon Freeman, the Doom Guy... it doesn't really matter who you're talking about... I don't understand the appeal in putting yourself in some person who talks very little if at all if you didn't make the person. (Yes, in case you're one of the 1% who does not know, that's why they don't talk and why the Doom Guy has no name.)

In games like Fallout or Phantasy Star I can put myself in the character I made quite easily, and in White Knight Chronicles I put my character in the lead knowing she was not the main character (odd that she was not the main character, but oh well).

But other people's silent protagonists I have a hard time doing that with. If Gordon Freeman or Link talked and thus had personalities I might be able to put myself in them, but they don't. The best I can do is just follow the story of some other person.

Or do I sound like a spoiled brat?  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:37 pm
it's a normal thought, Link is the physical manifestation of courage, Gordon was never expected to go pas the first and the doom people are lazy smile  

tatakai12
Crew

tatakai12
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:40 pm
oh ha sorry i ignored the question, immersion needs to be laid on thick for some people (you among others) because apparently controlling the characters every physical move isn't enough... I'm content with these characters because i don't get immersed in games and when i do, a lame one liner or bit of unnecessary dialogue annoys me.  
PlayStation 3 Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games