Welcome to Gaia! ::

◇ Xtreme Skilled Knights ◇

Back to Guilds

An army of many is more powerful than an army of one. 

Tags: everything, anime, poetry, clan, gold, fun, knights, skilled, RP, games, music, advice, vending, webcasts, booty grab, contests, art, music, zOMG, Wii, Xbox, Playstation, PC 

Reply Library__________________-____________Books
Recommend A Book

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

0 Zeref 0
Vice Captain

Divine Spirit

11,550 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:53 pm
List the books that you like and type a small summary of/about it.
I'm sure other people would want to check it out!

And yes, I'm one of them. cat_wink  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:52 pm
Check out Oryx and Crake for a creepy mind blowing experience. I recommend this book to anyone. If you need more information feel free to use google search!

I also had some fun with the Bloody Jack series. Damn thing is still going on though. gonk  

only kidding

xXTainted_Angel42Xx

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:07 pm
This Is Gonna Hurt by Nikki Sixx. It showed me that maybe the people we picture as the most beautiful people are actually some of the ugliest. How they say, Be like us and we'll except you.
Let you be warned though, This is gonna hurt.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:24 pm
Don't make fun of me, but the Eragon series. It's amazingly addicting series and it's just got finished. It's about Eragon, a simple farmer, who comes across a dragon egg. When it hatches, the dragon Sapphira is the turning point in Eragon's life and starts a wonderful adventure of magic and combat, love and hate, suspense and cliff hangers. It's awesome series and I would recommend it to anyone.
P.S. The movie's nothing like the book  

Kinky Walrus

Ruthless Sex Symbol

Vampire Queen Lani

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:26 pm
1.) The House of Night Series-A sixteen year old girl named Zoey who has recently been turned into a fledging who has to live at the house of night and if she stays away to long she will die, to become a vampire though she must make it through the Change, if she does not, she will die forever. She has extrodinary powers that no fledging should have and some that grown vampires could only dream of having, battling against evil has been going on for her since the series has started
2.) The Vampire Academy series- Two vampire girls on the run who have recently returned (captured) and forced to go back to school. One girl is from a royal vampire and the other is one of the vampires that is in training to protect the royal vampires.
3.) The Pillars of the Earth- is the story of a man named Tom set on a quest to make the worlds greatest gothic cathedral, of Phillip who is set out to set to make the Church back to its original status as pure and not corrupt with the monarchy, or Aliena who was once the daughter of an earl who is now trying to take care of her younger brother and in search of theyre father who was thrown into prison from being overthrown from power and also havards a dark secret in her past. The events that take place will turn Church against Monachy and brother against brother.
That is all smile I would recommend a few more but i think the first two series and the last book would take you awhile to read. Let me know how you like em if you ever read em.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:43 pm
Mm "Flowers for Algernon" by Daniel Keyes is a short story, but I still think it's worth checking out.

The story is told in journal entries by a guy named Charlie who volunteers to take part in research for enhancing human intelligence in hopes of becoming smart himself. If you like deep stuff and literary works that leave you in tears or in sentimental pieces, then this is for you. ;v;  

L3 W4FFL3Z

Super Fatcat

Sid the Bear

Kawaii Friend

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:13 pm
Great to see this thread as I'm looking for reading material...

Anyways, I recommend anything by L.E. Modesitt Jr. His fantasy series have great world-building (each with a different type of 'magic' along with its own syste of principles etc) and his sci-fi has commentary on issues faced by our society today (environmental impacts of energy use, political science, commercialization/marketing etc).

Laura Joh Rowland's "Sano Ichiro" mystery novels are also a great read. It's about a samurai detective in historical Japan (during the Tokugawa regime) who solves murders for the shogun where failure can lead to his death and the death of his family and servants.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:46 pm
I think I'll start by recommending these.

The Xanth series by Piers Anthony. Xanth is a vary punny series of books ware puns are a way of life. Humans born in Xanth have magic talents, and fantasy creatures exists. Its kind of like playing D&D with a twisted sense of humor. This series starts with the book Spell for Chameleon Though it is not necessary to start with this book I did not.

The Apprentice Adept series by Piers Anthony. This series starts with the book Split Infinity it is recommended to start there. This is a sci-fi fantasy mixed book. Proton is a futuristic world based in technology with robots, computers, and somewhat medieval mind set. On Proton there is a master / serf dynamic. Phaze
is a fantasy world with all trappings. these worlds are mirror images of each other.

The Dragonriders of Pern series by Anne McCaffrey, and eventually Todd McCaffrey. This is a sic-fi series not a fantasy one. Pern is the 3rd planet in the Rukbat system. This planet was colonized by humans wishing to build an agrarian society, and leave the war and strife of the advanced society that they left behind. Not very interesting right? Wrong every 200 years a organism that looks like silver thread falls eating everything in its path. To combat this colonists genetically modified native species that looked like tiny dragons in to dragons to flame thread out of the sky to protect Pern. The first book written was Dragonflight the first book in order of time line is The P.E.R.N. Survey. This series is best started anywhere that is not in the middle of a trilogy.

The Discworld series by Sir Terry Pratchett. In the darkness of space there is a turtle. This turtle is the Great A'Tuin (gender unknown) it travels thru space with four turtles on it's back who intern support the Diskworld. If this dose not make you want to read it I don't know what will but, I'll give it a shot. The Discworld is an interesting place. To start with Discworld is not just a name it also a description. The Disc is disc shaped. This is a world were death is not just a thing that happens but a character with development, and books of his own.Thare are witches who don't do much magic not to say that they can't just that they don't. There are wizards more into eating than much else, though they do have Hex the thinking engine, and employ the Librarian who is an orangutan. Is just a small sample of some of the people inhabiting the Disc. The first book is Colour of magic

NatsumenoKage

Codebreaking Dragon

20,125 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Comrades in Arms 150
  • Festive Eye 50

III_of_Wands

Nimble Wolf

28,875 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hunter 50
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:38 am
Kind of juvenile, but I managed to get my grubby little paws on what seems to be a rare gem.

Peter Pan, by J.M Barrie
It's not all pretty disney stuff. Peter isn't your friend once you grow up, and you do grow up, as he's the only boy who can't. It's a much darker neverland then the children are led to believe and has some adult lessons you don't see until you're an adult yourself. XD  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:55 am
I would definitely also reccommend the dragonriders of pern sereis and the discworld sereis- there are a lot of books there and they can keep you going for years! heart

Also:

There isn't a sereis name, but Ben Arronovitch's books starting with Rivers of london. It is very British, but I think that a lot of the jokes and funny situations would probably work well for non-British readers. Summary: Peter Grant is and officer of the metropolitan police desperately trying to avoid transfer to the Case Progressions Unit "we do paperwork so real coppers don't have to". Then one night he is taking a statement from a murder witness...who was a ghost, leading to a meeting with Inspector Nightingale, the last wizard in England and the Case Progressions Unit was the last of his worries! Its a really funny series but with a great storyline which keeps you turning the pages biggrin .

Other sereis I have enjoyed are: The Black Magician Trilogy by Trudi Canavan, Robin Hobb's Farseer and Tawny man trilogies (I haven't made it to the Fitz and the fool trilogy yet and Isaac Marion's Warm Bodies and The new Hunger

Sorry I have gone on for ages here!!

8_of_Hearts

8_of_Hearts

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:08 am
III_of_Wands
Kind of juvenile, but I managed to get my grubby little paws on what seems to be a rare gem.

Peter Pan, by J.M Barrie
It's not all pretty disney stuff. Peter isn't your friend once you grow up, and you do grow up, as he's the only boy who can't. It's a much darker neverland then the children are led to believe and has some adult lessons you don't see until you're an adult yourself. XD

Have you read the official sequel "Peter Pan in Scarlet" by Geraldine Mcaughrean? Its evidently not the same as the original classic but I still enjoyed it- though I read it a few years ago so can't remember much of it!.  
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 3:12 pm
only kidding
Check out Oryx and Crake for a creepy mind blowing experience. I recommend this book to anyone.

I agree. Oryx and Crake is the first book of a series of three written by award-winning Canadian author Margaret Atwood. The other two titles of her "speculative fiction" (referring to her sci-fi series) are The Year of the Flood and MaddAddam If you get a chance to get your hands on these books you will not be disappointed.

BatChic

Alien Fairy

15,825 Points
  • That One Hero 500
  • There are two sides... 50
  • Nebula Novice 100

sesame_tome

Skilled Tycoon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:15 pm
DARKNESS BECOMES HER I really love this book. It has that romantic, action, dark, mystic, god, demi gods.. A great combo of a fantasy book. heart heart  
Library__________________-____________Books

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games