Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Back to Guilds

Gaia's official Graphic Design Guild for all things profiles, logos, graphics and much much more! 

Tags: Graphic, Design, Digital art, Photoshop, Profiles 

Reply The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild
Monthly Lesson/Contests? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

tiranaki

Fashionable Hoarder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:32 pm
Chisa

And I'm glad we have a print expert here! It'll be great to have some tutorials on that later. Colour theory could maybe come after design principles, or be part of it? I don't know, I wish I was at design school sad

Hmm, well I wouldn't call myself an expert, I'm still a student smile When I graduate next year then you can call me an expert. xd But I do know more than I would want to know. Each school is different, it depends on where you live and what the industry calls for in that region. Here it's mostly print and advertising, business are starting to jump into the web, but most are still relying heavily on billboards, newspaper/magazine ads, brochure/newsletters to put themselves out. I was put in charge of my church's wesbite and I'm a bit scared because I don't know that much about web, I mean, I know how to design for it, but not programming or scripts.

Anyways, usually color theory is discussed as part of design principles, but, at least in my experience, a whole week/2 weeks was dedicated to it because there are a lot of things that go into play, it's not just the color wheel. There's the message, the feeling, the audience, etc... so far I've taken at least 3 different course that discussed color theory in depth, the one that best covered it was the pre-press design class.

Oh, I should mention, I'm taking all these classes in Spanish because that's what's spoken where I live, so I may not know the exact names in English.

Anyways, oh hey Chisa, I was wondering... if you love design so much, why not study it? There's nothing better than dedicating yourself to your life's passion. smile Just wondering. heart  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:10 pm
tiranaki
Oh, I should mention, I'm taking all these classes in Spanish because that's what's spoken where I live, so I may not know the exact names in English.

If you ever get stuck, describe the process, I could probably provide the English name. I'm majoring in graphic design in the US. smile  

jam-wired

tiranaki

Fashionable Hoarder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 3:20 pm
jam-wired
tiranaki

If you ever get stuck, describe the process, I could probably provide the English name. I'm majoring in graphic design in the US. smile

Sure thing... all those technical terms swirling in my head and I just realized most of them are in Spanish... some are the same, but still... thanks!  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:28 pm
tiranaki
Anyways, oh hey Chisa, I was wondering... if you love design so much, why not study it? There's nothing better than dedicating yourself to your life's passion. smile Just wondering. heart

At the time that I chose my course, I didn't really know what I wanted to do, so I chose Electronic Engineering and Computer Science. I just figured out this year that Graphic Design is what I want to do, so I dropped Eng, but I only have a year and a half to go in Comp Sci, so I thought I'd stick it out and either go study GD after, or try and find a job in web design.

All the programming stuff does help a bit with the web languages, and I think I have to learn SQL next year, so I'll be able to do databases and stuff on my websites biggrin I'm just learning what I can on my own for now, which is why this guild is so important to me!  

Chisa
Vice Captain

tiranaki

Fashionable Hoarder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:09 am
Chisa

At the time that I chose my course, I didn't really know what I wanted to do, so I chose Electronic Engineering and Computer Science. I just figured out this year that Graphic Design is what I want to do, so I dropped Eng, but I only have a year and a half to go in Comp Sci, so I thought I'd stick it out and either go study GD after, or try and find a job in web design.

All the programming stuff does help a bit with the web languages, and I think I have to learn SQL next year, so I'll be able to do databases and stuff on my websites biggrin I'm just learning what I can on my own for now, which is why this guild is so important to me!

Ahh ok, yes, that makes sense. It happens a lot, it seems. Many of the people studying with me, and some of my closests friends as well, started with something else. I have one friend that already has a bachelor's degree in Publicity and Adverstising, and decided to get the one for Graphic Arts as well, just because she could. I have another friend who's been studying different things on and off, and it's only now in her late 20's that she's finishing her degree. There was one woman who had been studying for 10 years, even though she was taking the freshman classes when I entered univeristy 3 years ago.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:48 pm
Hey, great idea. I'd be willing to do some tutorials or whatnot.

~ drawing the basic structure of the human body (either by hand or by computer)

~ geometrically/physically proper shading ie. shading with a light source in mind

~ basics of color theory

~ some typography, perhaps... mostly the styles

~ basic color theory

~ file types: how they compare, when to use which, quality and lossiness

~ basic/intermediate photo retouch

~ basic/intermediate photo restoration/repair

~ The Clone Tool and The Patch Tool... ie, how to erase things from and add things to a picture

Many of the things would be mostly my own advice, with help from Adobe Photoshop CS Classroom In a Book, my GD texts, other tutorials I've read, etc.  

Corinn

Shameless Hoarder

42,340 Points
  • Spirit Hoarder 500
  • Overstocked 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers