Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Occult Research Society

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to the study of the occult, in all its forms. 

Tags: Magick, Psionics, Supernatural, Paranormal, Occult 

Reply The Round Table (Discussion and Debates)
sex, gender, & sexuality

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Yogurto

4,750 Points
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:31 pm
hey y'all, thought i'd finally get around to starting a discussion about how sex, gender, & sexuality pertain to the occult.

i've become pretty frustrated with how a lot of books on witchcraft (many are 101 level, some beyond) present sex & gender. i don't identify as wiccan, so the god/goddess setup is already non-applicable to me. i believe a polarity exists in the universe between masculinity & femininity, but i also perceive a lot more to the gender spectrum than this duality permits. so far i've encountered zero literature that allows for a queer understanding of sex & gender.

i suppose i'd like to know how y'all include sex, gender, sexuality, queerness, etc in your practices - if at all. hopefully reading your responses will help me better understand exactly what i want to know. more questions will come once we get this discussion going, i'm sure!  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:24 pm
I accept masculinity and femininity as part of a larger monad. You could think of it as being like the planets: Each planet has it's own associations under the larger umbrella of the "rulers" of Sun (masculine) and Moon (feminine). They're all part of a larger whole though. Ditto with the zodiacal constellations, plants, minerals, elements, etc.

I think there's a continuum between the far points of the duality.  

Obscurus

Otherworldly Foe

18,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Big Tipper 100

Yogurto

4,750 Points
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:29 pm
Obscurus
I accept masculinity and femininity as part of a larger monad. You could think of it as being like the planets: Each planet has it's own associations under the larger umbrella of the "rulers" of Sun (masculine) and Moon (feminine). They're all part of a larger whole though. Ditto with the zodiacal constellations, plants, minerals, elements, etc.

word. nicely put. i guess i've become frustrated lately with the books i'm reading (currently working my way through 'the witches' goddess' & 'the witches' god' by the farrars) that seem to forget large slices of the human experience. namely, that not everyone is a paradigm of masculinity/femininity, & that a healthy gender expression is so much more complicated/interesting than the old yin/yang idea. like, there's more to being a human than being a dude w/ some feminine qualities or a gal w/ some masculine qualities! why we gotta keep going down the line & labeling everything we see as either masc/fem, sun/moon, dark/light?  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:50 pm
Yogurto
Obscurus

word. nicely put. i guess i've become frustrated lately with the books i'm reading (currently working my way through 'the witches' goddess' & 'the witches' god' by the farrars) that seem to forget large slices of the human experience. namely, that not everyone is a paradigm of masculinity/femininity, & that a healthy gender expression is so much more complicated/interesting than the old yin/yang idea. like, there's more to being a human than being a dude w/ some feminine qualities or a gal w/ some masculine qualities! why we gotta keep going down the line & labeling everything we see as either masc/fem, sun/moon, dark/light?

As humans we seem to really like dichotomies.  

Obscurus

Otherworldly Foe

18,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Big Tipper 100

GM Phish

6,400 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:16 pm
Man needs to divide and classify what he sees, if we don't, we revert to the primal stage, or 'chaos'. Understandably some people like the broader view, but when it comes to worth do you want a ton of general statements, or a few specific ones? Either way, parts will always be missing. To me (as a straight person) I can still connect to the concept of duality, and that we as humans are always left to choose between the paths. It's to say that there are many choices, and many ways of life, duality is simply a process of trying to specify that farther.

Hope that just made sense. xD

If you're looking for more 'general' spheres, look into a bit more of hermeticism. It still has duality, but it does veer into a different kind of perfection (hermaphrodite) to contain both of the spectrums. Of course, much more of hermeticism is focused on the self, and not so much others and sexual preference.

As for the whole wiccan thing, it is kind of cool, but it is also incredibly shallow. It provides a small cookie-cutter example of paganism that a person normally expands from to choose their own pantheon. But honestly, if you are going to choose patron gods, why not just become a pagan and skip the whole God/Goddess ordeal? There are many deities that are nonspecific, and gender is irrelevant. If you are looking for specifically gay Gods, as I recall Pan, Ares, Bacchus, and Hermes were all in question at one point. might be worth looking into. smile  
The Round Table (Discussion and Debates)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games