Submit

ShadowEternal

Familiar Shapeshifter

9,100 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:38 am
Dark Cloud is a spectacular dungeon game, though they will both annoyed the HELL out of you if you forget the fundamentals and/or you are not that good with hidden creatures. Typically, I hate looking at a walkthrough until after I've beaten a game the first time, but the later stages of DC1 and most of DC2 is an exception because of one thing they do: don't. tell. you. anything. useful.

Dark Cloud is an adventure, action, shooter, puzzle, AND assembly all in one. But I shall start with the first.

Dark Cloud starts you off with your own person. You can't change how he looks, though he reminds me of a certain tunic-clad warrior...but alas! You can name him. You have a mother, a house. Your village is all the way in a isolated ring of mountain. There is a festival tonight. Then some blob comes and blows up everything. But don't worry! No one died! The Priest of the Atlamillia saved them by putting them in...capsules. (Well, now I know where Samurai Legends Musashi got their idea from...)

Either way, your guy becomes the chosen wielder of the Atlamillia glove. And off you go on an adventure.

This game has 6 protagonist total, but it's up to you to find them and learn how to fluently control ALL of them. If you don't, this game will get very hard, VERY fast for you.

Rules for DC

1. Remember, YOU don't level up. Your WEAPON does. Changed your Weapon? Go back to a few floors, and level it up.
2. New character? Oh goodie! Now go back, and level their weapon up so they aren't completely useless.
3. Typically, each new character you get is the main one who can deal with the final boss of that stage.
4. You have limited space, always! Even after expansions, you will always never have ENOUGH ROOM. Don't hand on to unnecessary stuff. Luckily, there are NPCs willing to hold onto your 'extras' until you find need of them or their purpose.
5. Found an item you don't know how to use? Please, please, PLEASE DO NOT THROW IT AWAY. I promise you, if you do, you'll find out later what it was meant for and want to kick yourself in the bum. (That's how I ended restart three different times from three different points.) Some objects only show up ONCE or TWICE ever!
6. Don't, buy weapons, from the Owl. His wares are overpriced for that point in the game. Also- see that weird "Name" sword? Really don't buy it. You'll -receive- it later for your good assembly.

Okay, I've put down a few things. Now I can continue on with my explanation of how DC works. You have to rebuild each town you go to. Literally. You have to re-build each city (not on rock and roll). Everyone you meet will have preferences. They have those they don't want to be near and those they do. They also have objects (rivers, trees, lakes, etc) that they do/don't want around them. Pay attention. You forgot? You can always ask them.

Do this right and they will give you something extra for your effects. Also, every time you place/move/replace objects and building, treasure boxes appear. Don't be in a rush to rebuild things. Set down stuff, take a look around. Sometimes, you can see them better from the sky. Often times, these boxes will contain very handy items.

7. Annoying, the first Dark Cloud has a special meter that never fails to piss you off. The "Thirst Meter" that shows as a number of drips under your regular stats. Yes, that's right. Your people get thirsty in dungeons. So on top of health items and repair mods, you have to carry water bottles. (Remember the 'space' rule from before? This is why.) If any of them get thirsty, their health will deteriorate as if you're poisoned.
8. Unfortunately, since you can't level up, you have to rely on one-time-use objects to boost your stats. Gourds boost your Thirst Meter. As for Health and Defense, each character has (this is REALLY stupid to me) SPECIFIC items made ONLY to attend to THAT character. This means, each character's health and defense will up with the random appearance of the Special Item
9. This one never fails to please me. Every dungeon has water in it somewhere, like a pool or trench. If you're lucky, there'll be one almost every step of the way. (Unfortunately, the stage always changes each visit.) Water is LIFE! It heals, it quenches, and it cures! Miracle water! This game has miracle water! You see it? Let all your characters get in it and then be on your way. Also, enemies can't touch it.
10. Every few stages, you'll find a strange contraption that seems to have no point there. These are the entrances to Extra Stages. They are alternate versions of that dungeon. Not only are the monsters stronger, but the treasures are great. Though, if I were you, I would wait until AFTER I beat that dungeon to try it out.

--------------(TIME OUT)--------------

Now it's Dark Cloud 2's turn.

This one is very similar to the first. Only there are a few things different. You only have two protagonists: a boy mechanic who alternates between shooters and blunt weapons, and a girl who alternates between magic and sharp weapons.

Luckily, this game took a few annoyances out, but then added some more. For starters, NO MORE THIRST METER! YAAAAYYY! What? A camera? Take pictures? Of everything? Gdi.

Yeah. You have to take pictures of everything you come across. Every person with a name. Every monster all the same. Any tool that has a use. Even a boss with a very short fuse. A friend of yours looks very dirty, will eventually tell you want kind of pictures he wants. Bosses reel in a lot of coin, even more if you catch them in the middle of a special move. (You: Isn't that dangerous?) Yes. It is. So you better learn how to use that camera on the fly. You stop moving when you use it.

1. Don't waster your coin.
2. More than your health, have lots of repairs for your weapons. If you break them...they are GONE!
3. Each enemy has a weakness to either protagonist. Capture their picture, if you can. Either way, after you beat them, their stats will be in your book. You can figure it out there.
4. If an NPC says something strange. Something that sounds like foreshadowing? Take note. It'll make sense later.
5. Unlike the first where you was handed each object of use, this game makes you CREATE your weapons, items, etc. Anything useful. You can buy the weak, weapons in stores for a start. Basic healing needs as well. But if you want the advanced stuff, you gotta get creative. Remember those pictures I mentioned? Of tools? Monsters? People? It was for this. You'll get hints of how to make, but a lot of the stuff this game takes, are the things that you create, with whatever your mind comes up with. Frustrated yet?
6. We. Have. Ghosts. In order to reel in a lot of coin, your pictures you must sell. Don't worry, your archives will remember the ones that can be used for inventions. But to really bring in the dough, your 'friend' will ask for ghosts. Unfortunately, like the first, this game has real-time. Mornings, afternoon, and nights progress. They never stop. This also changes who you see, where they are at, what monsters are around and how strong they are, and also your ghosts! You will waste a LOT of time, just looking for these cursed things.

I spent over a week waiting for one to appear. This game does keep track of how long your adventure took. If you want to use a guide for the ghosts and the later inventions, you'll hear no criticism from me.

7. Not all monsters are your enemy. If you master a certain Magic, you can become one and gain their trust. Through this, you can get their card, allowing you to transform into that type of monster. Now, mind you, there will be times when you have to fight other monsters as a monster too. Better start mastering this asap.
8. Fishing is a sport in this one. You can keep what you fish and raise them. You can also breed your fish to make a stronger, better one. Then you can enter your fish in competitions: size, speed, beauty? Either way, the top of your menu will tell you whenever a contest is in motion. Enter at your discretion.
9. Do you love robots? I know I appreciate their help. Especially in DC2. Occasionally, you'll have big enemies, metal enemies, and uber strong ones, too. Therefore, your 'little' friend is highly appreciated. Not to mention, you can make him stronger, harder, faster, and better than than ever. (Don't say it.) He has a series of different weapons and movements styles. (If you get dizzy easily, DON'T give him the motor wheels.) Also, he actually levels up with use. The more you use him, the stronger he gets. But try not to depend on him to the point where your protagonists are useless. There are some areas where you won't be able to use him and will need to fight.
10. Sometimes, dungeons have peculiar sights. A path of lava obstructing your way? Take it's picture. Oh, the lava's gone! Take a picture of the clear path. Hey! I can see a flying ship in the sky/background! Take its picture. A talking tree? Oh my! I WANT a picture of that! You never know what might bring in the big bucks. Not to mention, some of these will help you progress.

(That's all for now. I may put down more if someone asks me for help.)  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:08 pm
That's a lot of information...

Hmm....

What sort of weapons are in this game?  

empress dee
Captain

Skilled Guildswoman

ShadowEternal

Familiar Shapeshifter

9,100 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:27 pm
Yeah, sorry about that. But the game gives you a lot to take in over the course of the game. So if it seems like a lot, it's only because I'm putting it out there up front. As for weapons... Ooh boy... I already mentioned the DC2 MCs' main weapon styles, but the first is specialty only.

Note: In DC1, you can fuse weapons to specialize in different elements. Towards the end of the game, you'll want everyone's weapons to be be strong in ALL elements!

Dark Cloud's MCs don't duel-wield weapons like their successor. No, each of the six characters wield one weapon which is based off of their environment. And since there are a LOT of different weapons for each, I'll just name the basics.

(The format will be "Name"-"what/who they are": "type of weapon". Each character also has an action that only they can pull off. When you come across an obstacle, only they can get through it.)

"Toan" - MC/Hero of Atlamillia: Melee type, sword. He hits in 3-4 combos. His charge attack is an uppercutting cyclone that deals high-critical damage. Use this in moderation for it can lower your weapon's health (thus putting it closer to breaking point) faster. He can generally hit ALL enemies that aren't aerial and...uh...ginormous.
Special Ability: Atlamillia Release - Only "Toan" can release people and objects from the Atlamillia orbs.

"Xiao" - Rescued Cat/'Cat girl': Range type, slingshot. That's right, a slingshot! So no combo with this one. Her attacks change in power depending on distance. Her charge attack is really just a focus attack that hits for double the power. Same warning as MC. In fact, the cons of the charge attack is the SAME FOR EVERYONE. Other than that, "Xiao" does very well against aerial enemies.
Special Ability: Flip-jump, JUMP-FLIP! - Is there a huge gap between you and the next side? Is there a small object in the middle that only someone very dexterous can hop off of? Leave it to "Xiao"! She'll get you right across to the other side easily!

"Goro" - Numbuh 4/Hunter: Melee type, hammers and mallets. He doesn't run very fast, and he attacks pretty slow. When you're attacking as him, he does a light jump and uses the inertia to sling his weapon downwards. As a result, you need the time to do so. "Goro" < Fast enemies.
Special Ability: Button Mash - no, I'm not referring to how you hit all buttons really fast to hopefully get an edge. Literally, there will be buttons outside of closed doors. Using his hammer, you mash them down and open the way.

"Ruby" - I dream of pretty, but cruel Genie: Range type, magic. she actually uses magic rings/bracelets filled with magic power. Her attacks are slow, concentration types. She shoots out balls of magic which change in color and effectiveness depending on the element equipped. Her charge attack is basically concentrating her attack until she glows and then RELEASE! Your equipped element will explode with, occasionally, TRIPLE the power!
Special Ability: [insert crystal noise] - Occasionally, you'll find colored crystals that'll only unlock if "Ruby" hits them with the corresponding element. You can also use this SA to 'snipe' enemies that are too far away to spot you...if you're skilled enough.
(Note: When you actually play this game, fix up the mobster's house completely BEFORE you fix up the weapon shop if you want to get a reward out of him. Otherwise, you will get NOTHING. What a cheapskate weapon smith, right?)

"Ungaga" - Desert Warrior: Melee Type, staff/staves. He fights like a lancer. I admit to not using this character a lot since I really don't like his style of fighting. After I beat his dungeon's boss, NEVER AGAIN!!! Either way, his weapon comes in handle against against enemies that need to be close to hit you. Otherwise...he's pretty stiff.
Special Ability: Dispel! - In his dungeon, you'll often come across passageways that are blocked by a wall of darkness. Have him stand in front of it and do a charge attack, which creates a great bit of wind to blow it away. Only he can do this as his style holds purification properties.

"Osmond" - Space-rabbit/Leader of Moon People: Range type, guns/blasters. Okay, this is new. "Osmond" is the only one whose weapon comes in two styles - machine-gun and shot-gun. Naturally, the machine guns shoot rapidly, but does minuscule damage as a result. While this weapon has it pros, it's very ineffective against bosses since they usually only give you ONE HIT per chance. Shot-gun style are just what they sound like. But in the long run, this style is actually better.
Special Ability: Fly, fly, FLY! - It's the same as "Xiao's" SA. Only, consider if there is no object in the middle to bounce off of. Actually, you can also use him on "Xiao's" obstacles as well if there is an enemy over out yonder that you don't want your wee cat lass to tussle with.

This one turned out lengthy as well, eh? But, I hope it answered your question.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:29 pm
Nice!  

Linken_Bogard
Crew

18. Video Gaming HQ - Video game discussions

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out