Welcome to Gaia! ::

A Crafter's Guild

Back to Guilds

A place to showcase your creations, get inspiration, ask and/or answer questions, and just have fun! 

Tags: Crafting, Beading, Drawing, Jewelry, Photography 

Reply Welcome to A Crafter's Guild
Crafter more willing to purchase items other Crafters?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Palachewing

5,850 Points
  • Trader 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Junior Trader 100
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:32 pm
I was just wondering because I make jewelry http://www.etsy.com/shop/Panzell and I find myself admiring and wanting to buy works from other crafters. Is this just me, or does it stem from appreciation for the labor put into making an item?

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 7:39 pm
Palachewing
I was just wondering because I make jewelry http://www.etsy.com/shop/Panzell and I find myself admiring and wanting to buy works from other crafters. Is this just me, or does it stem from appreciation for the labor put into making an item?

I am the same way. Since I make things, I know how much of yourself is put into each one, therefore, I like buying from crafters.  

Emm-Kaye
Captain

Entervixen

Dedicated Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 2:53 am
Emm-Kaye
Palachewing

I am the same way. Since I make things, I know how much of yourself is put into each one, therefore, I like buying from crafters.

This. I feel guilt when I buy handmade things that are underpriced because I know what they're really worth.  
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 6:40 am
entervixen
Emm-Kaye
Palachewing

This. I feel guilt when I buy handmade things that are underpriced because I know what they're really worth.

Once at a craft fair, I actually convinced a gal to raise her prices ...probably shouldn't have until AFTER I'd bought, but...She was so far underpriced she wasn't even breaking even. We got to chatting & when she told me she was losing money on every sale, I told her she needed to AT LEAST make what she spent, preferably paying herself something for her time and effort as well.
Prettiest ceramic bowl I've ever bought...for $10 more than the sticker price... 4laugh  

Emm-Kaye
Captain

Entervixen

Dedicated Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 11:03 am
Emm-Kaye
entervixen
Emm-Kaye
Palachewing

Once at a craft fair, I actually convinced a gal to raise her prices ...probably shouldn't have until AFTER I'd bought, but...She was so far underpriced she wasn't even breaking even. We got to chatting & when she told me she was losing money on every sale, I told her she needed to AT LEAST make what she spent, preferably paying herself something for her time and effort as well.
Prettiest ceramic bowl I've ever bought...for $10 more than the sticker price... 4laugh

I totally get it. I might've even done something similar, myself.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:25 pm
Emm-Kaye
entervixen
Emm-Kaye
Palachewing

The last 2 comments have me nailed. I found this guild while looking for a forum I once found that had knitting and crocheted items in it, many with links to other sites where they could be purchased. But. It comes to me that such links are probably a violation of ToS. Dang.

If so - I need to do another google search for a pattern and find someone to help me so I can make one. Since I have minor paralysis in my pinkies and semi in my ring fingers, idk how realistic that is, but it would probably be good additional therapy - am using a hollow rubber ball and massage now.

I THINK nosewarmers are knitted, not crocheted, and knitting was easier for me. I did find a left-handed crocheter, but waited too long to practice and forgot how. I need someone very patient to teach me, as I need to be able to separate each step and memorize it - but once I 'get' the basics, I can really speed up. I also have the 'dropped stitch' problem - I can see it, but seeing where to go to repair it is, for me, hard. Better I don't drop one in the first place.  

jellykans

Playful Guildswoman

Emm-Kaye
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:39 pm
jellykans
The last 2 comments have me nailed. I found this guild while looking for a forum I once found that had knitting and crocheted items in it, many with links to other sites where they could be purchased. But. It comes to me that such links are probably a violation of ToS. Dang.

If so - I need to do another google search for a pattern and find someone to help me so I can make one. Since I have minor paralysis in my pinkies and semi in my ring fingers, idk how realistic that is, but it would probably be good additional therapy - am using a hollow rubber ball and massage now.

I THINK nosewarmers are knitted, not crocheted, and knitting was easier for me. I did find a left-handed crocheter, but waited too long to practice and forgot how. I need someone very patient to teach me, as I need to be able to separate each step and memorize it - but once I 'get' the basics, I can really speed up. I also have the 'dropped stitch' problem - I can see it, but seeing where to go to repair it is, for me, hard. Better I don't drop one in the first place.
Going to have to google nosewarmers...I almost remember something about them in one of the knitting books I've got, but, which one, and where it is (storage or here) is a whole 'nother story... wink  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:50 pm
Emm-Kaye
jellykans

Going to have to google nosewarmers...I almost remember something about them in one of the knitting books I've got, but, which one, and where it is (storage or here) is a whole 'nother story... wink
Found this, which looks pretty comprehensive!
How to Knit a Nose Warmer  

Emm-Kaye
Captain

jellykans

Playful Guildswoman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:50 pm
Emm-Kaye
jellykans

Ty! I found some when trying to shop for one, but a real knitter could tell what would be a better pattern. I have no clue. Knitted a lot just before junior high, but it was always....well....like a scarf for Dr. Who, only just one color. >-<

I should mention, I was living a right-handed life for many years....my aunt dared me to, I wouldn;'t when ordered, so of course I did it. And my teacher wouldn't let me switch back to do cursive.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:59 pm
jellykans
Ty! I found some when trying to shop for one, but a real knitter could tell what would be a better pattern. I have no clue. Knitted a lot just before junior high, but it was always....well....like a scarf for Dr. Who, only just one color. >-<

I should mention, I was living a right-handed life for many years....my aunt dared me to, I wouldn;'t when ordered, so of course I did it. And my teacher wouldn't let me switch back to do cursive.
My grandmother was forced to be right handed. She wouldn't allow the teachers to force change my mother, so my mom was left handed. My mom wouldn't allow anyone to even try to change me, so I am also left handed!  

Emm-Kaye
Captain

jellykans

Playful Guildswoman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:38 pm
Emm-Kaye
jellykans

My grandmother was forced to be right handed. She wouldn't allow the teachers to force change my mother, so my mom was left handed. My mom wouldn't allow anyone to even try to change me, so I am also left handed!

Yay! My mom and both of her parents were forced. I wasn't, but - like I said, it was my aunt. And then the school. And mom would talk to the schools, but she always buckled.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:01 pm
Emm-Kaye
jellykans

I learned left handed crochet to teach my bestie, who is naturally left handed. My cousin who is more like a sister is also left handed. Seemed perfectly natural to me growing up, so I never understood some people's need to force lefties to be righties.  

Entervixen

Dedicated Lunatic

Welcome to A Crafter's Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces