Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Wisdom and Faith....

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Oh no, What'll I do?
  Grab a Can of Soda..
  Grab a Sword..
  Grab a Straightjacket..
  Grab 10 gold, and run like the wind..
View Results

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:11 am
So get this. Every single time I want to play a video-game, I have to turn the channel to 4. Channel 4 happens to host the annoying 700 Club, and a multitude of other religious things.

Anyway...I went to play Zelda...and caught sight on the screen a lady giving a sermon.

Ok...other than her ranting and raving(which obviously the nut needs to be in a mental ward)....she said this:

After reading a passage from the Bible, she said that humans need to put faith into the wisdom of "God", and not put faith into the wisdom of humanity.

Ok...something struck me as funny. She went on talking, as though logic and faith in human logic is sinful, and faith in a diety we cannot see is acceptable.

So...what is your opinion, and take on this?

Somehow, I get the idea that the reason they want people to put faith in the invisible diety, is because if they look too deeply into human wisdom, they'll find themselves loosing faith in thier god.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:19 am
I think that's pretty dangerous for their health, because if people put all their faith in some god, and instead of using common sense, you might be killed. Like, you know, you get people who believe that God will save them, and they jump off of buildings and die. Common sense, human logic, will tell you that jumping off will kill you, and God won't save you.  

Rune WolfHaven

iviary

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:44 am
It's just a weak argument for "We need religion in order to have morals." People are flawed, and thus must listen to the perfect omnicient being above to lead a good life. Problem is, what this God wants has to get passed down from ministers and other religious higher-up's with a mystical one-way phone with God. And they each have their own flawed interpretation of God's word (the bible, or any other scripture), since they are human, and can't truly know God's plan. But, Gasp! We should never question their interpretation, for it is the word of God!! So, basically, we're screwed.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:19 pm
Dekoto
I think that's pretty dangerous for their health, because if people put all their faith in some god, and instead of using common sense, you might be killed. Like, you know, you get people who believe that God will save them, and they jump off of buildings and die. Common sense, human logic, will tell you that jumping off will kill you, and God won't save you.

Hmmm...very true.

Know what you're post reminds me of? Someone I know.

I once asked him why he won't wear a Seat-belt. I told him that a seat-belt could save his life.

His reply was that "If I get in a wreck, and it is my time to die, than it is the time god planned for me to die. I don't want to go against Gods word."

Feh...the funny thing is, these days he's in jail, and a criminal to boot.

Sanguvixen

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:25 pm
iviary
It's just a weak argument for "We need religion in order to have morals." People are flawed, and thus must listen to the perfect omnicient being above to lead a good life. Problem is, what this God wants has to get passed down from ministers and other religious higher-up's with a mystical one-way phone with God. And they each have their own flawed interpretation of God's word (the bible, or any other scripture), since they are human, and can't truly know God's plan. But, Gasp! We should never question their interpretation, for it is the word of God!! So, basically, we're screwed.

Thats the thing though isn't it?

The god is flawed, and corrupt. So is humanity.

So many people seem to believe that the reason the bible is flawed, is because humanity is flawed...and the bible is a reflection of that?

When people point out the flaws and corruption in the bible...they throw back that it was written by man, and man is imperfect.

So if it is written by man...where are the connections to thier imaginary diety? It doesn't make sense.

To tell the masses that you must not put faith in human logic, is a cheap way of saying..."Don't question what I say." How can you have faith in something you cannot see?

How can you hear the angels sing? How can you hear the word of God?

So far I have yet to hear winged humaniods sing praises from the sky, and so far I have yet to hear voices in my head claiming to be that of an omni-potent being. Of course if I started hearing voices, people will claim I am being struck by a mental disease.

Yet...I am supposed to have faith that Angels are singing, and the word of a god is being spoken, although I cannot hear them, and there is no proof of thier existance?

Something isn't right here. I'd rather put faith in something tangible. I know that if I throw a ball up, by putting faith in gravity, I know without a doubt that it will come back down to the ground.

I know that if I jump off a cliff, by putting faith in logic, and gravity...that the impact will most likely kill me.

Human logic makes so much more sense, that something that can be niether seen, felt, nore heard.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:13 pm
I grabbed 10 gold and ran like the wind.  

Dathu

Newbie Noob

Redem

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:14 am
Sanguvixen

After reading a passage from the Bible, she said that humans need to put faith into the wisdom of "God", and not put faith into the wisdom of humanity.

Ok...something struck me as funny. She went on talking, as though logic and faith in human logic is sinful, and faith in a diety we cannot see is acceptable.

So...what is your opinion, and take on this?

I consider this to be a grave insult to me as a human being.

It is an attitude which, in a single stroke, denies millennia of human advancement and progress. Slow, halting, even painful, progress.

This attitude...really angers me actually. I actually fel like ranting at trash like this...but I don't post angry, so I'll leave it there.

Sanguvixen
Somehow, I get the idea that the reason they want people to put faith in the invisible diety, is because if they look too deeply into human wisdom, they'll find themselves loosing faith in thier god.

Like all good memes it denies you the right to ignore it. It denies you the right to your on intelect and ability to reason. It denies you the right to be you own person, and instead attempts to make you into a meme carrier, spreading your disease to the rest of the world.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:30 pm
*sarcasm* Its the will of God! He's trying to make you see that video games are bad and that only He is the one true path. To Enlighten your damned Soul and blah, blah, blah. *end sarcasm*

Really and truly, if you look at people who are like that, they usually are highschool drop outs that were never very good at science anyways. Okay, that was a stereotype... *cough*  

PickleBoy

DivideByZero14

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:11 pm
Sanguvixen

I smell hypocrisy!

So...let me get this straight...she uses her personal human wisdom to assert that we can't use human wisdom, and must instead defer to the divine.

Unless I missed something, she's telling us not to listen to her, but only to God. Well, lady, I'll follow your advice. If any God ever gives me some wisdom, I'll pocket it and walk away.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:36 pm
Sanguvixen
iviary

So far I have yet to hear winged humaniods sing praises from the sky, and so far I have yet to hear voices in my head claiming to be that of an omni-potent being. Of course if I started hearing voices, people will claim I am being struck by a mental disease.

Ah, well. I hear voices, or rather, one voice, but I sure hope it isn't God, or we're all screwed. It's not a nice voice. But if it is God, you can tell everyone God is actually a woman. I'll just be the token crazy person, eh? No; I don't think I'm crazy. I don't show any other signs of conditions for which auditory hallucinations are a symptom. And I know the voice is a product of some misfiring in my head; nothing sinister in itself. It generally coincides with sleep deprivation and stress. Yay for random confiding in an entire forum of folks I don't know! rolleyes  

iviary

The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff