Welcome to Gaia! ::

Uriah Galleries

Back to Guilds

Photo gallery of Jonathan Uriah Denney 

Tags: Photography, Uriah Galleries, Gallery, Photo, Guild 

Reply Need help? Ask questions about certain products and techniques!
EF/EFS Macro Lenses?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

minimishi

6,700 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:43 pm
I have wanted a macro lens forever (since i started taking photos) so i finally bought myself one that a few photographer friends of mine suggested (a Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 macro lens). I LOVE IT and use it constantly!!

It takes wonderful photos like these:

User Image

User Image

But... it has such a shallow depth of field that if i dont have a tripod, or my subject is moving (like bugs often do) it gets out of focus super easy!

anyone have any suggestions on a different macro lens that isnt as sensitive? or maybe has a less shallow depth of field?

I would also like one that gets in much closer (not microscopic, but close lol) any ideas on that? (this, and the above mentioned dont have to be components of the same lens)  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:50 am
Unfortunately there is no way around the shallow DOF for macro lenses (Unless you want to focus on all the diffrent points of the subject and merge the images in a editing program. A link to info about this: http://www.usphotogroup.com/Tutorials/Focus_Lite/Focus_Lite.htm [program is not free]). It is tricky but you just have to keep practicing with it. An idea for getting even closer than the 100mm can is to use extension tubes. I usually use a 50mm with a 12mm extension tube for ring shots.  

scelestic

minimishi

6,700 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:38 pm
thats kinda what i figured... but nothing wrong with hoping!
i never thought of merging multiple shots with different focal points... i'll have to try that...
i didnt even think about using an extension! Thanks!  
Need help? Ask questions about certain products and techniques!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games