Welcome to Gaia! ::

Uriah Galleries

Back to Guilds

Photo gallery of Jonathan Uriah Denney 

Tags: Photography, Uriah Galleries, Gallery, Photo, Guild 

Reply Need help? Ask questions about certain products and techniques!
Is there a market for used 35mm film cameras?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

David2074
Vice Captain

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:08 pm
Digital has improved to the point I find I just don't use my old 35mm film cameras any more.
I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good used market for these. Or perhaps it is more like an old 36.6k modem. What once cost $500 you now would have trouble giving away in the free box at a garage sale.

I have two 35mm film cameras.
The older is a Canon AE1 Program with a 50mm Canon lens and a 70-210 Soliger zoom, bounce flash, bag and a few various filters.

This camera has literally been around the world with me about three times and has seen panthers in Kenya, kangaroos in Australia, the great pyramids in Egypt (and so on, blah blah long winded story about my travels). My point is I've had it so long I almost feel like a traitor giving it up but the simple reality is I have not used it in few years. It works fine but my digital Nikon is awesome and much cheaper to experiment with.

The other camera is newer but has less history. It's a Canon EOS Rebel. It is similar to the digital version with auto exposure / aperture / focus but uses 35mm film. When I bought it digital camera quality was still sub-par unless you were willing to spend thousands of dollars.

Like the AEI it works fine. Both cameras can be used in manual mode if a person desires or pretty much "point and click" except the AE1 is not auto focus.

So I'm wondering if there is a viable market for these or if I'm just holding on to garage sale rejects.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:09 pm
Hrm, I know a lot of people that collect, mostly find them at antique/pawn shops. That would possibly be ideal if you didn't want to worry about shipping. Otherwise there's always eBay, or similar sites.

I can't quite part with my 35mm. It was my grandma's and it's what got me started in photography in the first place. I have fond memories with it, but black and white is quite expensive. crying  

girlwiththetude

Dapper Conversationalist

14,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Champion 300

David2074
Vice Captain

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:32 am
girlwiththetude
Hrm, I know a lot of people that collect, mostly find them at antique/pawn shops. That would possibly be ideal if you didn't want to worry about shipping. Otherwise there's always eBay, or similar sites.

I can't quite part with my 35mm. It was my grandma's and it's what got me started in photography in the first place. I have fond memories with it, but black and white is quite expensive. crying

Now there's a scary thought. That something I purchased new others might consider an 'antique'. smile
Though I think most folks collecting antique cameras are looking for older than my AE1 Program. I bought it in, hmm, about 1981 I think.  
Need help? Ask questions about certain products and techniques!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games