Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
Kitty Digestive Issues. Need advice ?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Pellervoinen Licorn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:13 pm
Ok so two days ago my cat threw up in the living room and it was undigested food and a lot of grass I was under the impression that he had simply eaten to quickly because he'd had a late feeding that morning. His bowel movements were fine.

Now today two days later he's thrown up his food again. He's had a diarrhea like substance 3 times today in his litter area. I also found a yellow-brown almost pudding like consistency spot of something in another room and I'm not sure if it was from his bum or his mouth. There were still little bits of grass in it and it was undigested food again.

There is no obvious blood in either his vomit or stool from what I can see.

He is still behaving like normal. Eating, Playing, running Around, Jumping. I'm not seeing third eyelid or lethargy or a dull coat. He isn't hiding away at all. Outside of the pooing and nausea he is acting like his normal self.

I'm wondering if maybe he's got some mild stomach issue from the fact that his feeding schedule has been a bit messed up from me working extra hours. He used to be fed 4 times daily at almost the exact same time give or take half an hour. He eats canned food with some raw added in.

He has been drinking a tiddly more then usual but that probably has something to do with the fact that he hasn't kept his meals down so he needs to compensate for the loss of water he'd get from a meal.

Is there anything I can do right now to see if this will clear up on it's own ? I was considering giving him a so many hour fast to let his tummy rest and maybe right his system ? Would this be a wise course of action or not ?

I will take him to the vet on Monday if he's not seeming any better. I would take him now but I unfortunately cannot afford the emergency vet bill at this time though I certainly wish I could sad

Advice Please.

edit: Also need to add. He is a problem over-groomer. I've already spoken to my vet about, given he get's little bumps on the back of his legs from it, and she said if it got worse I could consider medication. It has gotten worse since summer rolled in and he's shedding a ton. I brush him every day but it's barely making a dent in his fur production. His vomit was full of hair as well.

It it ok to give him petro jelly to help ease his hairballs ? I see it mentioned but I am skeptical. I'd rather avoid medicating him if possible sad  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:58 am
Did you recently change foods? If not, then either an allergy might have developed, but if he's not scratching himself excessively, that might not be the case either, or since you said that there is also a lot of hair in the vomit, it could be from the over grooming. I would suggest take him to the vet to find out exactly what it is if he doesn't improve soon.  

CrissAngelLover12345

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:18 pm
I think it's reasonable to wait before rushing to a vet. While I wouldn't recommend a full 24hr fast, a good 12hr fast might be worth a try, and then start out with a much smaller meal. Try to include some probiotics and if possible, mix in a touch of can pumkin with his can food (not the cake stuff, but pure, unsweetened pumkin puree. If you can find a can of fruitables in your local pet food store, even better, omega alpha makes a good probiotic supplement) try smaller meals, and you can certainly try a petromalt from a pet store but vaseline is for short term use only. If you give it every day, long term you're looking at vitamin B deficiency. It could be that your cat ate something that didn't agree with him at one point. If the fur is that bad I have to question the diet. Also, it would likely be best to hold back on the raw until the situation is resolved. Just in case the cats immune system is down.  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games