Welcome to Gaia! ::

~Etsy Showoffs~

Back to Guilds

A meeting place for Etsy sellers, and buyers to make connections. 

Tags: Etsy, crafts, online sellers, creative, shop 

Reply Promotions
Requests From Buyers

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Adoring_Lilly
Captain

Lonely Seeker

6,100 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:51 pm
                          ✄ - - - Requests!!
                          ✄ - - - for Etsy buyers to post ideas of items that they would pay for and love
                          ✄ - - - for sellers to respond to these ideas if they think the project can be done
                          ✄ - - - Share Commissions
                          ✄ - - - Exchange Ideas
                          ✄ - - -

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:25 pm
This isn't really a request but I was toying with the idea of trying to learn wood carving. More for myself but if they actually turn out good I might consider selling online. I'm thinking figures but I know there's other types of objects that might be possible (ie jewelry box).

Was wondering if anyone thought it'd be a good idea?  

StarMasayume

iiParadoxical

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:25 pm
StarMasayume
This isn't really a request but I was toying with the idea of trying to learn wood carving. More for myself but if they actually turn out good I might consider selling online. I'm thinking figures but I know there's other types of objects that might be possible (ie jewelry box).

My grandpa was a woodcutter and carver back when he was in great health. Whenever I would go to his house, I would always learn a tidbit for woodcarving due to his surplus of wood that he couldn't use after his back injuries.

I'll be blunt and quick, it's a tedious task that is not great without tremendous of practice. Detail is most important and if you aren't careful and are inexperienced, a lot of your beginning works will become a flunk that should probably be given as "homemade gifts" for a few occasions if any at all. Thought that counts though, right? But definitely try to stray from figurines until you have more hours of practice around your belt.

Granted, I only did it when I was younger and really impatient; just wanting the project to be done. And, the above goes with just about anything you want to do. I surely don't want to fully discourage you, just telling you stuff I had learned from first hand experience.

If done right and you are truly determined, I think it would be a great idea. Painted and glossed depending on what you make. It's what separates your stuff from the items you can find at any craft store if you ever decide to sell. I hope my experience helped you with a decision and wish you luck.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:06 pm
iiParadoxical
StarMasayume

My grandpa was a woodcutter and carver back when he was in great health. Whenever I would go to his house, I would always learn a tidbit for woodcarving due to his surplus of wood that he couldn't use after his back injuries.

I'll be blunt and quick, it's a tedious task that is not great without tremendous of practice. Detail is most important and if you aren't careful and are inexperienced, a lot of your beginning works will become a flunk that should probably be given as "homemade gifts" for a few occasions if any at all. Thought that counts though, right? But definitely try to stray from figurines until you have more hours of practice around your belt.

Granted, I only did it when I was younger and really impatient; just wanting the project to be done. And, the above goes with just about anything you want to do. I surely don't want to fully discourage you, just telling you stuff I had learned from first hand experience.

If done right and you are truly determined, I think it would be a great idea. Painted and glossed depending on what you make. It's what separates your stuff from the items you can find at any craft store if you ever decide to sell. I hope my experience helped you with a decision and wish you luck.

Thanks for the advice. It's nice to get the point of view from someone whose tried it. If I do try it, it may be just for myself. I've worked a bit with super sculpty but I just personally love the look of wood carvings. We'll see. My fiance might not let me get near a nice since I tend to find ways to hurt myself... might not stop me from trying though.  

StarMasayume

Promotions

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff