Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:23 am
Soo.

The older fish has now decided that the newer fish shan't be allowed in certain areas or allowed near the peas they get as treats.

The older fish has been pushing the newer one towards the surface or chasing him around to get him away.

I am guessing that this is because the tank really needs to be upgraded but I wanted to be sure that this kind of issue would be solved by a bigger tank before I buy one. I don't wanna spend the money on it just to have the behavior continue.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:27 am
We do have terrariums that were once used to house poisonous spiders ( as my husband says ) that we could use although they've got no stand... I have no idea how to clean these so they would be safe for my fish. Or where to put them aside from the floor >_>  

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300

Akari_32

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:23 pm
How big are the fish and the tank? Are they fancies or commons? Fancies need 20 gallons for the 1st fish and 10 gallons for every other fish, and IMO, 30 gallons for a single fish (so a 30 gallon could house 1-2 fancies). Commons and comets need 55 gallons for the first fish, and 20-30 for each additional fish, due to their large size and activity level.

A tank can be prepared by rinsing it with hot water. Check all seams and make sure the tank hold water before putting the fish in there.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:51 pm
Akari_32
How big are the fish and the tank? Are they fancies or commons? Fancies need 20 gallons for the 1st fish and 10 gallons for every other fish, and IMO, 30 gallons for a single fish (so a 30 gallon could house 1-2 fancies). Commons and comets need 55 gallons for the first fish, and 20-30 for each additional fish, due to their large size and activity level.

A tank can be prepared by rinsing it with hot water. Check all seams and make sure the tank hold water before putting the fish in there.
The tank in the shed was way too big for us to use and would cost too much to get situated right now :X

They're a comet and a common, pretty small even still. We're looking at a 20 or 30 gallon for the moment but it depends on our budget.  

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:55 pm
User Image
That's the fish tank. It's pretty much the same now aside from a bubble thing.

User Image
That's the two of them. The common is like... 2 years old, unsure of the chubby one.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:06 pm
Actually, you've got a comet and an Oranda :p

You do know that things such as gravel and excessive decor are for your sake and not the fishes? You can easily just keep it bare bottom with just a few caves, and they'd be just as happy. It's the filters that tend to get you, though. lol  

Akari_32

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:08 pm
Akari_32
Actually, you've got a comet and an Oranda :p

You do know that things such as gravel and excessive decor are for your sake and not the fishes? You can easily just keep it bare bottom with just a few caves, and they'd be just as happy. It's the filters that tend to get you, though. lol
surprised I had no idea!!

The tank is pretty much for my son to enjoy just as much for me :3 So I like that it's colorful.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:10 pm
Ahh so since Fluffy is a fancy type is it going to be a problem keeping them together? Do you suppose the aggression will continue even if in a larger tank just cause they are different types?  

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300

Akari_32

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:22 pm
The aggression is probably pre-mating practice (they aren't sexually mature yet, but some fish like to practice years before hand. Males will develops breeding stars on their pectoral fins and gill plates) or fighting from being in that small tank. Goldfish like to have their space, but also like to have buddies. This, combined with their size and massive bioload, is why they need such large tanks.

Some people keep single tails and fancies together with no issues, and others have issues with the single tails getting all the food, or the fancies bulldozing the single tails around. It's all situational.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:54 pm
I usually watch them eat and it seems like there's no issues with fighting over food but it looks like Mister Fishy likes the left side of the tank to himself so he kinda shoves Fluffy to the middle or right side.

I think I'll go on Craigslist and see if I can't find a reasonable priced tank.

I'm gonna guess a 30g would be really pushing it though, huh?  

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300

Akari_32

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:21 pm
For now, a 30-40 gallon would be ok. But in the long run, it'll be cheaper to just go with a 50-60 gallon. But then again, there's nothing wrong with having multiple tanks ;p  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:30 pm
Akari_32
For now, a 30-40 gallon would be ok. But in the long run, it'll be cheaper to just go with a 50-60 gallon. But then again, there's nothing wrong with having multiple tanks ;p
Hehe I am tempted!!

I see so many nice 75 gallon tanks on craigslist but they don't come with stands and my 10 gallon is sitting on my old TV stand which is cleared for 60 lbs >.<

Think we might go for a 30 til a but later and maybe see if someone is willing to trade the 10 gal and the 30 for a 50+. If my husband wasn't so lazy we could take the one out of the shed and use it >.> But it's like a weekend worth of work..

Is a larger tank harder to maintain or easier? My guess is easier but I just don't know >.<  

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300

Akari_32

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:42 pm
Actually, done right, larger tanks are MUCH easier to take care of. Especially if you only plan on keeping just those two fish. Right now, in that little tank with the goldfish, you should be doing water changes every 2-4 days, vaccuming the gravel each time really well, and spot cleaning any left over food and visible waste everyday.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:48 pm
Akari_32
Actually, done right, larger tanks are MUCH easier to take care of. Especially if you only plan on keeping just those two fish. Right now, in that little tank with the goldfish, you should be doing water changes every 2-4 days, vaccuming the gravel each time really well, and spot cleaning any left over food and visible waste everyday.
I thought so ^^ Glad to be able to point at husband and go HA I WAS RIGHT :p  

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300

Akiska

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:43 pm
I see you said terrarium... Is it an actual terrarium or an aquarium, that was used as a terrarium? Terrariums are often times made with thinner glass and will shatter under the pressure of water. [friends of mine found this out the hard way] If it's an aquarium, it should be able to be cleaned with just hot water, vinegar, or very diluted bleach and rinsed well. [If you let it dry 100% before filling it the bleach should evaporate out, seeing as chlorine evaporates slightly faster than water.]  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games