Major progress for the lab rats

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:52 pm
Some exciting news I haven't yet shared with yall. As most of you know I'm studying animal health. This is FINALLY my last year. Sadly, to graduate from animal health, we must also learn the research aspect of animal health/use. Which at first I was against but have become much more open minded about in the last 4yrs. The whole reason this is part of the program is because techs who know and care about animals are needed in these facilities to assure the wellbeing of the animals. Also, by combining both clinic and lab in one program, the college found often people would become interested in that field who otherwise never would have sought it out.

So of course I use to be one of those people who was all, SHUT THEM ALL DOWN WE DON:T NEED ANIMAL RESEARCH. But I have realized first hand that working WITH them, yields much better results. For instance, several years ago, animals used in research received no enrichment (treats, toys etc) and were often grouped individually. But having people who know about the needs of animals involved in research companies has led to an improvement in the lives and a reduction of the animals needed. Basically what I'm saying is these companies will always exist, wether you believe they are needed or not. And if you attack them head on they will simply ignore you. As we are learning about all the security measurements that must be taken against animal rights activists. Like PETA, who have done nothing for these animals.

This semester I decided to take what I am learning and apply it to our own animals. At my school we have mice, rats and bunnies. The buns only live at the school a few weeks one semester a year. They spend the rest of their life on one of the teacher's farms (the school decided to recycle the buns from now on) The rats and mice live in polycarbonate cages, just a lil bigger than CCAC standards, they get enrichment, cages changed every 2nd day fresh food and water etc and are used only for educational purposes. However they do get euthanized at the end of the semester so the students can do necropsies sad

So for my research proposal, I proposed that we improve the lives of our lab animals. I offered various suggestions for toys, activities and free roam time. Under the pretence that I wanted to study the effect on their behavior. Well my proposal was accepted. So starting this year, the lab rats at my college will be having a free roam period, new toys, activities etc etc. (and while my teacher warned me not to get attached, she agreed if there was any spare rats come the end of the semester, I could take them home rather than see them euthanized)

Also, up until now the students had been doing terminal surgeries every week. But seeing how depressed the students were after euthanizing their healthy animal each week. They revised the course that we only euthanize at the end of the semester.

I just though these big changes were pretty exciting, and I'm really glad I was able to see this come to pass.

Last week we were practicing injections and restraints and I asked if I could give all the rats a fruit loop once we were finished and the teacher agreed. xd

They must see me coming and be like, watch out, it's the rat lover lol. But I also rock at restraining and injections thx you very much talk2hand  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:57 pm
That's really awesome! Good job smile *high five*  

Akari_32

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:55 am
congrats! glad you were able to do something for their little lives  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:43 pm
That's awesome that you've already been able to improve the lives of those rats and mice.

I finally gave up. I did manage to make some improvements, but you can only spend so much of your life bashing your head against a brick wall. I don't regret doing what I did, but I'm also happy to be free of the place.  

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces