Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
Doggie DNA test [Some pics!]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ever done a doggie DNA test?
  Yes I have!
  No, I have not ever been interested in doing one.
  No, but I would like to do one/wish that I could.
View Results

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:08 pm
Thought it might be a good idea to get one since well.. when you get a dog as a companion on Craigslist for $150 you don't really know what you're getting.

The test checked for a few mutations, which my dear sweet Nanaki all came back as both negative and recessive.

For those of you who don't know, this test also determines your dog's breed or mixes as far back as his great grandpooches.

Because of this, I was taking bets with my friends on what Nanaki was mixed with. Guesses were ranging from Chihuahua to Yorkie to all kinds of things.

To be honest... I wasn't expecting him to come back as pure Pom.

More than anything, I'm grateful the mutations all came back great. He was tested for..

Myotonia Congentia
Factor VII Deficiency
Hyperuricosuria Cystinuria
Phosphofructokinase Deficiency
Primary Lens Luxation
Pyruvate Kinase Deficiency

Which, as I said eariler, all came back as recessive and negative except for the lens luxation which says "likely recessive but may also affect some heterozygotes".

All in all, for $70ish I'd say it was worth doing. Wish I had done it eariler though. Would have been fun to have some of his off spring.. Ionno if I could ever love another pooch like my Nanaki.

Have you guys done these Wonder Panel genetic analysis for your doggies? $70 can be pretty steep and without our wellness plan at Banfield.. we likely wouldn't have done it. It adds on about $7 a month though which isn't bad.

User Image

User ImageI could barely get him to sit still long enough to snap a picture.. much less get the darn phone to focus >.<

User Image

I'll add some more later razz He's really filling out though, isn't he?! Nanaki is about a year and a half old (March 1st, 2011 is his "birthday").  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:18 pm
Couldn't resist :X There's a good number of pictures here, but I thumbnailed em for you under this here button. The top most ones are the oldest.

User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:06 am
I was always doubtful of wether or not Cowboy was purebred. After all he comes from a mill. But his results seemed kind of unbelievable to me. He's supposedly 70% Aussie/Sheltie with some other random breeds thrown in. Granted he's a bit small for an Aussie, I don't see how he could have Sheltie though. I figured him to be at least 90% Aussie he LOOKS purebred. I've seen purebred aussies that look less Aussie than he does! So I'm not convinced of the accuracy.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:54 am
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
I was always doubtful of wether or not Cowboy was purebred. After all he comes from a mill. But his results seemed kind of unbelievable to me. He's supposedly 70% Aussie/Sheltie with some other random breeds thrown in. Granted he's a bit small for an Aussie, I don't see how he could have Sheltie though. I figured him to be at least 90% Aussie he LOOKS purebred. I've seen purebred aussies that look less Aussie than he does! So I'm not convinced of the accuracy.
Did yours tell you which parents were likely whichever breed? From the pictures you've posted I don't see much shelter either but maybe he did only get the size from the breed rather than any superficial assets.

I was definitely more interested in the mutation results for Nanaki since I probably wouldn't have bred him anyway, not for profit for sure.  

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:06 am
i want to do a dna test with stowrm one day just to see what it says. i dont think they would have any wild breeds in their database though, but maybe i could get an idea of what domestic dog breeds she might be mixed with. right now my guess is pitbull but thats only because we have so many stray and unaltered pitties in the area.

all i know is stowrm has the wrong color to be a full carolina dog. full dingos typicly dont have the white toes  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:53 pm
Yup. His parents were an Aussie mix and an Aussie Sheltie mix.
Grandparents were aussie mixes, a shelti mix and a mutt. Great grandparents there was 2 purebred aussies there, a pure sheltie and the rest were mutts. I was thinking it would be fun to try another company DNA test and see if the results are exactly the same.  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:44 am
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Yup. His parents were an Aussie mix and an Aussie Sheltie mix.
Grandparents were aussie mixes, a shelti mix and a mutt. Great grandparents there was 2 purebred aussies there, a pure sheltie and the rest were mutts. I was thinking it would be fun to try another company DNA test and see if the results are exactly the same.
You should! I'd be really interested in seeing two different companies' results!  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games