Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gold Diggers and Pollwhores Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild where you can do polls, polls, and more polls. Whist making friends and competing in numerous free competitions 

Tags: polls, gold, anime, active, friends 

Reply Gold Diggers and Pollwhores
#%^@in Bad Dog Owners. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Pet Ownership should be...
  A right you can never lose
  A Privilage than can be lost and earnt back
  A priviage that is lost and once lost not regainable.
View Results

GoldDiggingWhore
Vice Captain

Generous Lover

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:52 am
Sagebomb
the problem is I live in the real world and have studied invasive species biology.

And I know the economic impacts

"It has been estimated that in California alone, invasive pests cost this state at least $3 billion a year! A recent analysis by the California Invasive Plant Council (Spring 2009) indicates that weeds alone cost California at least $82 million per year. Some estimates suggest that invasive species cost the USA $138 billion per year" -CISR.

All this talk of killing off species reminds me of something they talk a lot about in Ishmael and The Story of B. It states, essentially, "'You may compete to the full extent of your capabilities, but you may not hunt down competitors or destroy their food or deny them access to food. In other words, you may compete but you may not wage war.' All species inevitably follow this law, or as a consequence go extinct."  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:38 pm
GoldDiggingWhore
Sagebomb
the problem is I live in the real world and have studied invasive species biology.

And I know the economic impacts

"It has been estimated that in California alone, invasive pests cost this state at least $3 billion a year! A recent analysis by the California Invasive Plant Council (Spring 2009) indicates that weeds alone cost California at least $82 million per year. Some estimates suggest that invasive species cost the USA $138 billion per year" -CISR.

All this talk of killing off species reminds me of something they talk a lot about in Ishmael and The Story of B. It states, essentially, "'You may compete to the full extent of your capabilities, but you may not hunt down competitors or destroy their food or deny them access to food. In other words, you may compete but you may not wage war.' All species inevitably follow this law, or as a consequence go extinct."

What makes something a invasive species is the fact that it is in a place it could not have got to, or not have survived without human intervestion.

Native speices pests are not invasives, they are just natives making the best of what humans have done. And I dont really have problems with those.

Invasive pests do really well because they can grow and reproduce faster than natives, they tend to be generalists in what they eat and eat large quantitys of those things.

Zebra mussles, Lion fish, japanese honey suckle, european starlings, burmese python, Popillia japonica, etc are easy examples of animals that should not naturally be in the states, but are there now causing massive issues.  

Sagebomb
Captain

Aged Prophet

41,150 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400

ShadowedMoonlight

Ruthless Sweetheart

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:21 pm
I'm so sorry, that's awful.

Some people definitely don't deserve to have pets, they aren't capable of looking after them and keeping them from harming themselves and others.

On the note of killing rabbits, I'm also in a country that has problems with invasive rabbit populations and familiar with the effects they have, I do support killing wild rabbits when they are not native to the area. I love rabbits, I adore them and would desperately like one as a pet, but I can't even get one because to try and limit the numbers introduced we aren't allowed to have them in my state.
But ferrets and cats, sure, you can have those... -_-

Clover_IceQueen, you're very firmly against killing them, but you haven't actually offered an alternative solution.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:32 pm
ShadowedMoonlight

Clover_IceQueen, you're very firmly against killing them, but you haven't actually offered an alternative solution.

Yep what she said

But really what's the difference between a rabbit n cow n sheep n horse n goat n fish n pigs? Their animals, they can be eaten
Oh forgot cat n dog to that list. If ur hungry n starving all those animals will look yummy
Actually all but dogs looks yummy oh n pigs but I hate those nasty things cause of one attacking our cattle n bro  

BlueCowGirl
Vice Captain

Questionable Millionaire

6,750 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Sagebomb
Captain

Aged Prophet

41,150 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:17 pm
ShadowedMoonlight
I'm so sorry, that's awful.

Some people definitely don't deserve to have pets, they aren't capable of looking after them and keeping them from harming themselves and others.

On the note of killing rabbits, I'm also in a country that has problems with invasive rabbit populations and familiar with the effects they have, I do support killing wild rabbits when they are not native to the area. I love rabbits, I adore them and would desperately like one as a pet, but I can't even get one because to try and limit the numbers introduced we aren't allowed to have them in my state.
But ferrets and cats, sure, you can have those... -_-

Thats very true, and again animal abuse it the stepping stone to human abuse.

Yeah those europeans really messed up species stuff. Like in NZ one of the worst pests we have is the Brushtail Possum, Protected in mainland Australia, but we just cant kill them fast enough (Conservative estimates put it at 22 possums per new zealander). As long as you have a gun licence if you are shooting them you can kill any number any time.

yeah, ferrets have been a contencious issue in NZ for quite a few years...Though it actually looks like we did ban them as pets. XD I didnt know that up til now.

"It has been claimed that New Zealand has the world's largest feral population of ferret-polecat hybrid"  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:20 pm
BlueCowGirl

Yep what she said

But really what's the difference between a rabbit n cow n sheep n horse n goat n fish n pigs? Their animals, they can be eaten
Oh forgot cat n dog to that list. If ur hungry n starving all those animals will look yummy
Actually all but dogs looks yummy oh n pigs but I hate those nasty things cause of one attacking our cattle n bro

Biologically The cow/sheep/horse/goat are similar in many ways, the pig/rabbit/fish I would put in seperate categories.

Any intelligent animal has the potential to be really agressive, and pigs are very intelligent animals.  

Sagebomb
Captain

Aged Prophet

41,150 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400

ShadowedMoonlight

Ruthless Sweetheart

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:33 am
BlueCowGirl

I've never really understood the issues people have with eating certain animals when they happily eat others. confused
People say things like "I don't want to eat dog because I love dogs, they have such great personalities" but maybe cows have great personalities too and they just don't know because they've never got to know a cow.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:11 am
ShadowedMoonlight

People say things like "I don't want to eat dog because I love dogs, they have such great personalities" but maybe cows have great personalities too and they just don't know because they've never got to know a cow.

This. I wouldn't go out of my way to eat somebody else's idea of a pet, but I wouldn't hold it against someone for wanting to eat a rabbit, dog, cat, etc if that's what they wanna do. Unless they broke into my house and ate my pet bunny for no reason. Pretty much my views on hunting as well. If you hunt, use the animal(s) you hunt for food, clothings, etc. And if I'm dying of starvation I wouldn't wanna eat my pet/wild creatures but I'd rather not die thanks. Makes me think of those poor (rugby?) players who got crashed in the mountains years ago who had to resort to cannibalism to survive. I'm just saying, if we crash in the mountains guys and I die first, I'd rather have you eat me than die.  

Ginhi~kun
Vice Captain

Fashionable Autobiographer

Sagebomb
Captain

Aged Prophet

41,150 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:53 pm
I would like to think Im good enough as a survivalist to be able to survive on bugs and plants for a while.

Yep, as I said pigs are very smart, probally smarter than most breeds (though definitly not smarter than all dog breeds), but a lot of dog breeds are far from smart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU7_Ar9C_iI

Pigs are pretty easy to train, and often have good personalitys.

Cows arent all nessecerily dumb either, its just hard with no hands,

but they can Use there horns as hands or their tongue as a hand I know a couple cows with pretty big personality's too

Now sheep...well, yeah...they are still one of the dumbest animals I have worked with, but that said they can still have pretty epic personality's.

But I guess the main thing that separates terrestrial vertebrates from being seen as meat or not meat in the western world is basically animal diet. We mainly eat herbivores, and some omnivores. But when I make it to asia Im willing to try everything offered.  
Gold Diggers and Pollwhores

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff