Welcome to Gaia! ::

Uriah Galleries

Back to Guilds

Photo gallery of Jonathan Uriah Denney 

Tags: Photography, Uriah Galleries, Gallery, Photo, Guild 

Reply The Poll Is In
Week 2 : Which do you prefer, Canon, Nikon, or other?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

I Am A Photographer
Crew

Conservative Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:20 pm
This one is a bit late, so I am just going to call it week 2.

Canon
Nikon
Other (Please specify)

_____
My answer: Canon.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:20 am
Nikon. I tried working with a Canon film camera for my finals since my Pentax decided to go on the fritz before my finals for my photo class, and I did not like the results. Otherwise, I've had four Nikons (including some point and shoots), that have come out with some great pictures. I didn't mind the Pentax model I worked with though.  

girlwiththetude

Dapper Conversationalist

14,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Champion 300

USS_Galactica

Benevolent Duck

15,450 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:43 am
Canon. Though I don't really have any experience with anything else.

Our first digital camera is a Canon, all our other digital cameras are Canons, and the film SLR camera I used for my class (which was my mother's when she was in college) is a Canon.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:53 pm
Hmm. I guess Nikon.
I own both but they are from different eras so it's not fair to compare head to head.
My Canon AE1 Program 35mm film camera has traveled the world with me and taken lots of great pictures even though I only had 'okay' (not high end) lenses. Later I got a Canon Rebel for the auto focus. Then digital finally came of age and I have not used either of these film cameras for a few years now. Thinking of getting realistic and selling them.

One difference back in the 80s - which very likely may not exist now - is the Canon SLRs had a much noisier shutter action than the Nikons did. I've compared that side by side with friends who had Nikons. Much of the time it did not matter but sometimes it did if you were trying to photograph wildlife or even a human without drawing attention. And no, I wasn't a voyeur. Some folks act / photograph better if they don't realize a picture is being taken. Little kids in particular often go straight to the 'cheeeesssee!' grimace grin face.

I had a Nikon D40X and later sold it and bought a Nikon D90. Both take great pictures with the kit lenses. I would like to get some higher end lenses. I have not personally used the Canon digital cameras but at the time I did a lot of comparison / review readings before going with the Nikon. IMO it was the better choice but Canon has some great offerings too.

I've been very impressed with the level of detail the D90 takes. You can take a portrait shot and then zoom in on a computer screen to where the subject freaks out because you can see every pore. Also some great macro shots. And like I said I'm using the kit lenses so nothing very high end in terms of hardware.

I also have a Panasonic Lumix. It's in a different class so not fair to compare but I will say that for a pocket point and shoot it takes very good pictures. Newer models have even better resolution and greater optical zoom. If you don't want to lug around your big camera you can carry that and still get some pretty pleasing shots of your outing.  

David2074
Vice Captain

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
The Poll Is In

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers