Quote:
If this year’s launch of the latest expansion for Square Enix’s decade old MMORPG is any indication, Final Fantasy XI is far from dead.

In fact, if producer Akihiko Matsui’s recent comments during a round table of Japanese developers’ responding to Sony’s next PlayStation unveiling is anything to go by, FFXI could land on the PS4 as either a port or as a spin-off.

“I wonder if there’s also the possibility of porting FFXI. I’d like to try making a FFXI spin-off where the server would be the PS4 and the Vita would be used as the client and you could do parties by everyone gathering together with their Vitas.”

It was rumored back in 2011 that FFXI would make the jump to the PS Vita, however, that report was later shot down.

Earlier in the month, speculation about a possible PS Vita port was renewed after a curious tweet by Square Enix was posted along with a questionable photo showing what some believe to be a glimpse of Sony’s fancy new handheld being used by a member of the FFXI dev team.

Time will tell if Matsui’s comments are tied to these recent rumors.

Source

Don't get me wrong, this would be awesome since I and many others adored Final Fantasy XI, but isn't that what final fantasy XIV was meant to be? Not to mention 'A Realm Reborn'. This just seems like wasted effort.