Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Just to keep you happy
  ^_^
View Results

IAMSEX

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:11 pm
I have a major lump of built up scar tissue in my right ear lobe. That was when I was young and didn't know how to treat a piercing. Now it hurts a lot, even a few years later it still sometimes hurts to put in earrings.

What should I do to take care of this problem?

And if I want to get bigger earrings, would it hurt way more just because I have that scar tissue there?Do you have any scar tissue/rejected piercings you want to share about?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:31 pm
If you stretch it with the scar tissue, it will hurt, and it could cause it to scar up more. I have a giant lump on one side of my labret from stretching. I can't get rid of it, and I don't want to downsize. Kinda sucks  

Terragar

Kekewey Saew

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:19 am
another option, if you want to gauge up, and make it permanent, is to have your piercer use a dermal punch...it will remove the old piercing, and surrounding scar tissue, if you are going big enough  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:07 am
Is it a Keloid by any chance?

If so: may help provide some information.

Vitamin E (and perhaps other?) oils may also help a little bit with breaking down the scar tissue though it depends how thick the scar is and what type of scar it is.

I would talk to a piercer to see what they'd reccomend.

Good luck to you ~  

Aetherna

Terragar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:35 am
no dermal punch lobe gonk if you have to take it that far, have it scalpelled off. no need to remove that much tissue in the lobe  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:13 am
actually, from what I've managed to gather, dermal punches are used most often in the lobes of people who want large gauge jewelry quickly  

Kekewey Saew

Aetherna

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:13 am
Kekewey Saew
actually, from what I've managed to gather, dermal punches are used most often in the lobes of people who want large gauge jewelry quickly

Yup, you're correct. Piercing needles are effective up to large gauges such as 4 (eg:BME sells 4gauge) while dermal punches come in larger gauges (again, looking at BME for reference.)

The difference between needle and punch is that one only creates a slit (needle) while the punch completely removes a circle of flesh. If the piercing is left without jewelry, it will not be able to shrink up if dermal punched - you'll still have a stretched-looking lobe.

A scalpel will be able to remove the scar though depending on where the scar is, and it's size, the piercing may be affected too.

So long as it isn't a keloid, a piercer should be able to help you out easily; keloids sometimes return even if scalpelled off.

I still suggest speaking with a piercer since they'll be able to physically examine your ear.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:14 pm
Well, actually a dermal punch sounds cool. I mean, it's a wuick and easy way to get a bigger hole, which rocks. Plus I'm pretty sure I can handle the pain. Has anyone had experience with a dermal punch? If so does it hurt a lot?  

IAMSEX

Kekewey Saew

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:34 pm
no personal experience...I'm just doing a slow stretch from 14g to 4g
sorry  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:37 pm
or, you could have it scalpelled to what ever size you want and not lose any tissue. dermal punching to a large size in a lobe will only make it harder, if not impossible, to stretch any bigger. thinner lobe = easier to rip. and yes, dermal punches hurt like a b***h. If you want big lobes, and don't want to wait, go find a piercer experienced in scalpelling. he will be able to make them whatever size you want, and you won't lose any tissue. dermal punches should really only be used in cartilage where its not a good idea to stretch any more than a few sizes  

Terragar

Warninglv100
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:11 pm
Terragar
or, you could have it scalpelled to what ever size you want and not lose any tissue. dermal punching to a large size in a lobe will only make it harder, if not impossible, to stretch any bigger. thinner lobe = easier to rip. and yes, dermal punches hurt like a b***h. If you want big lobes, and don't want to wait, go find a piercer experienced in scalpelling. he will be able to make them whatever size you want, and you won't lose any tissue. dermal punches should really only be used in cartilage where its not a good idea to stretch any more than a few sizes

Exactly. Why cookie-cut your lobe when you can have a big hole with a nice amount of tissue to surround it? Dermal punching will only limit any more stretching.

If you check the BME's old QOD there should be multiple answers about why not to dermal punch lobes.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:08 am
A little entry from Modblog regarding Dermal Punching and why it can be very, very bad (with photos!):

Aetherna

Warninglv100
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:14 pm
Aetherna
A little entry from Modblog regarding Dermal Punching and why it can be very, very bad (with photos!):

gonk That is so very disturbing to view.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:17 pm
no experience with dermal punches, but I had my ears scalpelled to combine two holes and center my earlobes..

it was mos def an extremely painful experience, and left a bit of scar tissue..

I rub my lobes with vitamin e daily, the scar tissue isn't very thick or hard.  

curseyes

-Panty.Waste-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:06 pm
I have scar tissue on my belly button piercing, but that's not what we're here to talk about.

I'm not really sure what to do with the scar tissue, as I've never done anything with mine.

Ear Piercings

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games