Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Links
The History of Christianity in 25 Objects: Introduction

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:01 am
The History of Christianity in 25 Objects: Introduction

Tim Challies
03/13/13

I have long had a love of history and so often find in the past the wisdom that informs and addresses present difficulties. Each generation--even each generation of Christians--suffers from self-obsession, and as we move forward in time and progress, we do well to keep one eye on the past, to consider not only where we wish to go, but also from whence we have come. Christianity has a long and storied past that testifies constantly to God’s enduring grace. We ignore it at our peril.

Though so much of Christian history has passed away, though so many of its people and objects have been lost to time, a few precious relics remain. When we look at these objects with careful eye, when we consider them in their context, we see in them the history of the Christian faith. In this new series of articles I have chosen twenty-five of these objects and through them wish to explore the history of this faith we hold so dear, the history of what God is accomplishing in this world, whether through princes or peasants, whether through triumph or trial.

Each of these objects offers us a tangible link between the present and the past, between the Christians of the twenty-first century and the Christians who lived and died in centuries past. In a few cases these objects are hidden away or in private collections, but more commonly they are there for all who wish to see them. We can travel to museums and galleries, look at these objects, and see in them a link to history--our history. This, then, is the history of Christianity in twenty-five objects.

The series will begin with the earliest relics of the earliest Christians and carry us to the present day. As we journey through the history of the church we will look at the importance of a peculiar little scrawl of graffiti and the creedal significance of an otherwise unremarkable carving. We will take a leap forward in time to consider the long labor of monks and the martyrdom of Christians who called for reform long before Luther. We will look at pulpits and paintings and posters and even pieces of machinery. And, of course, we will look to books and the remains of books, for perhaps nothing has so charted and maintained the course of Christian history as its books.

We will begin with a statue that represents the context in which the church was birthed through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth. In this statue we see the promise of the spread of the gospel and we see a shadow of its most fearsome opposition.

Allow me a word about the format of this series. I intend to write one article on each of the twenty-five objects I have identified, with the first article coming tomorrow and one following every week or two as I am able to complete the research. I chose these objects with the assistance of a long list of books. I subsequently shared the collection with several professors of church history who have kindly offered helpful feedback. I write this series not as an expert on church history but as a student, eager to learn and eager to share what I have discovered.

Article Number One:
The History of Christianity in 25 Objects: Augustus of Prima Porta

[Working link April 3rd 2016. Please notify us of broken links and inaccurate content.]  
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:16 pm
So, that's why the statue is barefoot, lol. The bit about Pax Romana (religious tolerance for all, but biblical Christianity gets persecuted afterwards) reminds me of the situation brewing in recent years: and so it will happen again, before our Messiah's return, as prophesied in Revelation 12:17 ("And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.").

But people who die in Christ during that time have nothing to worry about:

Revelation 14:11-13

11 And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.

12 Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

13 And I heard a voice from heaven saying unto me, Write, Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord from henceforth: Yea, saith the Spirit, that they may rest from their labours; and their works do follow them.

real eyes realize

Invisible Guildswoman

Links

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces