Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Common misconceptions about atheists

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lesilrok

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:18 pm
Common Misconceptions about atheist

This is particulary geared toward Christians but to theists in general. I hope this will clear up some misunderstandings that religious people have about atheists.

1. Atheists hate God.

This is false because atheists don't believe in any gods. We can't hate something we don't believe in.

2. Atheists are rebelling against God.

Again, as with the above explanation, atheists do not believe an a god, so can't possibly "rebel" against it. Yet many theists continue to believe this misconception.

3. Atheism = Communism.

Atheism is simply the nonbelief in any god or gods. This misconception was popularized during the Cold War, yet atheists have a wide variety of political beliefs. One should realize that political beliefs are not the same as religious beliefs.

4. Atheists are unhappy.

Atheists are just as happy as theists. True, atheists don't have any cheerful outlook on an afterlife, but they tend to make up for it by enjoying the one life they do have. In fact, I became more happy since giving up my religion.

5. Atheists are actively trying to dismantle religion.

Many atheists dislike religion, and Christianity in general, but it's not true that there's a vast, atheistic conspiracy out to destroy Christianity. Things like mandatory prayer in school being banned, controversy over "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance, and the ten commandment monument being forced out of the Alabama Statehouse are all pointed to as signs that the "evil atheist conspiracy" is winning battles against the Christian status quo, however these legal battles are valid 1st Amendment cases. The simple fact is that the government cannot sponsor any religion whatsoever.

6. Atheists worship science and scientists instead of God.

Atheists don't woship anything, let alone science or scientists. Atheists tend to put more credibility on science and the scientific method, which if followed correctly will lead to the truth. This works out much better than just saying "God did it." Also, to go along with #5 a bit, scientists are not trying to make a concious effort to prove that God doesn't exist. Such a thing is impossible, even if God doesn't exist. It's just that science has disproved many things which Christians hold as truths.

7. Since atheists aren't following God, they must be following the devil.

Atheists don't believe in the devil any more than they believe in a god. If your religion tells you that anyone who doesn't worship your god is worshipping a demon, then that's your business. But atheists aren't actively praying to anyone or anything.

8. Atheists hate Christians.

It may be true that many atheists do not like Christians or Christianity. But it's not true that all do. Most atheists have Christian friends or family. Or many atheists may hate Christianity but like Christians, probably a response to the abuse of power Christians have practiced throughout history, though not practiced by all Christians.

9. Atheists have never read the bible (or just don't understand it)

Actually, quite a few atheists seem to be better versed in reading the bible than a lot of Christians are. At least they are able to point out the factual errors, absurdities, and contradictions which show that the bible couldn't have been divinely inspired by a perfect supreme being. Many atheists are even more convinced that God doesn't exist by reading the bible.

10. Atheists are immoral.

A lot of Christians just can't seem to understand how it is that an atheist doesn't believe in eternal punishment for doing something bad and still be a good person. Yet atheists realize that this life is the only one we have so we should make it as good as possible. Christianity, on the other hand, does not guarantee one will be a good person, as the majority of inmates in prisons and jails across the country are Christian, while very few of them are atheists. One could try to argue that they are not "true" Christians because they committed a crime, however this is a fallacious argument. It is also true that Christians believe that all men are sinners, so this argument doesn't hold water even if it wasn't fallacious.

11.Atheists have to have faith that God doesn't exist.

This claim is so nonsensical it's laughable. Of course Atheists don't have to have faith that there is no god, rather Christians have shown no solid evidence which proves their god exists. If they could, they would, and they wouldn't have to rely on faith to keep beleiving in their god. However, without evidence they must rely solely on faith in order to keep believing. To claim that atheists have faith that God doesn't exist is an attempt to equate the two stances of atheism with theism. The claim of atheist faith stems from the Christian argument that "Atheists can't prove that God doesn't exist" which shifts the burden of proof from the one making the claim to the one they are attempting to convince. As such, it's an invalid argument. At the very least, the claim that atheists have to have faith that God doesn't exist only works if A. God exists, and B. There is evidence to prove that God exists. If A and B were true, then there would be no atheists and it would be like saying that someone has to have faith that the sun doesn't exist.

12. Many Christians think that atheists have never tried to pray to God or have ever been religious.

Many atheists were at one time religious, myself included, but have given it up after debating the pros and cons of religion. And probably all of us while trying to make up our minds (even those who have never been religious) have prayed to God to show us that he exists. After all, if we're looking for the truth about God's existance, it makes sense that we would try this simple experiment to see if he's really there or not. Unfortunately, no signs have appeared, so we have remained atheists.

13. Atheists are so hard-headed and unwilling to change their minds that even if they witnessed a miracle or if God came down from Heaven they wouldn't believe in him.

Well, if a miracle did happen (one that showed that God exists) and we could tell that it actually occurred and wasn't a magic trick, then I know of many atheists who would start beileving in God. If God himself came down from Heaven and showed himself to everyone on the planet, then atheism would cease to exist. However, until this happens we will remain skeptical.

I hope this proves useful to you guys and I will post more if I can think of any more.

Enjoy mrgreen  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:32 pm
It does have a topic. He's given us something he wrote in hopes that it's useful and he's said he'll post more if he has more to add. We can comment on what he wrote and if it is useful or not to us, or even give more things to add. There's actual content and some explanation on his part as opposed to, for example, posting a random piece of some one else's lyrics.  

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200

Lesilrok

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:33 pm
[.caustic.]
It does have a topic. He's given us something he wrote in hopes that it's useful and he's said he'll post more if he has more to add. We can comment on what he wrote and if it is useful or not to us, or even give more things to add. There's actual content and some explanation on his part as opposed to, for example, posting a random piece of some one else's lyrics.

you just hit it on the spot miss caustic. I just wanted some feed back on this topic and any added misconceptions yiu guys may have.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:12 am
shinobikun
[.caustic.]

you just hit it on the spot miss caustic. I just wanted some feed back on this topic and any added misconceptions yiu guys may have.

Sorry about that.

Why didn't you put that at the bottom than? I read through the whole thing, which was interesting...but then I didn't exactly know what it is you intended to discuss about.....about what you or wrote, or did you want others to add to it.

It's good though. Well thought out.

Hmmm...Well, I know of another common misconception that goes with part of one of the above. A lot of E-People think that athiests are angsty little teenagers looking for something to rebel against.

What gets me is: Why don't they understand that Atheism is not new. It is just that the "there is no god" philosophy has been suppressed by organizing religion for so long, and those found following that philosophy were cruelly tortured, and often murdered as examples to the rest.

Also some people feel athiesm is "Just a Fad". I don't get that either. The idea that people try to be athiest to fit in is a bit foolish.

Athiests are not well liked by most of society, which are god fearing/god woshiping individuals. If anything Athiests are treated as filth, as heathens to be converted, as individuals that are not well versed, and thus need to be educated about the "Word of God"

People make it a personal choice to not beleive. It has nothing to do with what the rest of society, and what is socially in and out.

Sanguvixen

DivideByZero14

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:28 pm
Very good topic! I agree with pretty much everything that you've said. I do intend to read the Bible someday; chances are I will agree with most of the morals, but the work itself is fiction.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:59 pm
I have to disagree somewhat with #10... I am extremely immoral, and probably wouldn't be if I had the threat of hellfire.... but that is just me
biggrin  

Napoleon_Danneskjold

The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces