Reply The Gallery
The History Repeating Reviews You Never Asked For! :D

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Have you listened to The Megas?
  Yes, I love them!
  Yes, but I don't like them because I am a dickbutt.
  No (Go listen!)
View Results

old jazzy

Amorous Fatcat

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 8:10 pm
Blue:

1. History Repeating pt. 1
This is a slow and somewhat haunting song, which is nonetheless great. The only thing that bothers me about it is the buildup at the beginning, mainly due to the fact that I often don't hear it at all for the first few seconds and have to make sure my volume is up. Plus, the song itself is practically a buildup to History Repeating pt. 2 as it is! It works well, though. I'm a fan of the drumbeat, and the singing is catchy, the lyrics are cool. It's kinda hard not to sing History repeating, who do they call when robots need defeating? History repeating, who do I call when I broken and bleeding?. I should add that, like in EVERY song on these albums pretty much, there's some sexy vocal harmony going on and it sounds great. Rad guitar, too, towards the end. Overall, this does the original Mega Man 3 intro song justice for sure.

2. History Repeating pt. 2
Alright, here we go. A fun rock song, again based off of the MM3 intro music. Again with a catchy chorus that is hard not to sing along with. The synth kicks in and is awesome, as are all the other instruments and vocals, again. Gotta love that little proto type man of mega man part, too. They didn't even need to add that in and it would be fine. One MINOR nitpick is that there are two speakers and I had NO idea even after a ton of listens without looking at the words, but that's no fault of the singer's. For the most part, the singing is clear in this song.

3. Steel Forged in Fate
Not much to say, just a (nice-sounding) rock cover of the stage selected theme.

4. Can't Stop the Top
Yet another flawless-sounding, fun rock song. The lyrics aren't really all that... deep? But come on, it's Top Man. What are you really gonna say about him? I like how they make reference to his stage, too, with the big cats... they don't seem to do that as much as they did in Get Equipped anymore. I really like how they remain so faithful to Top Man's theme almost all throughout while still adding their own original vocal parts. It sounds great.

5. Don't Mess with Magnet Man

This song is a bit softer, with the synths playing a bigger role this time around than they have been. It makes sense, because the lyrics are from the POV of Magnet Man, who finds himself only being able to attract everything to him EXCEPT for the one thing he wants to attract – the girl he loves (Roll). These are some of my favorite lyrics on the album. The idea is kinda silly, but it's interesting and it makes Magnet Man easier to relate to than, say, Top Man. Plus, it subtly references other characters, like Mega Man and Dr. Wily, but instead discusses their roles in making his relationship with Roll impossible. It's neat to see those characters from that angle. Again, it's an extremely catchy song. I don't know how they do it. Plus, it's cute, and don't tell me there was never a point in your life when you couldn't relate to poor Magnet Man.

6. You've Sparked a War

Not a big fan of the intro to this song. It just seems like it's trying to hard to seem... epic? It's not really necessary. The guitars in this song totally rule, and it's got yet another catchy chorus that's tons of fun to sing along to. It's kinda weird... it should be sung by Spark Man, so why is he saying that he feels his hands turning into fists? He doesn't HAVE fists... The lyrics are weird because there's a lot of “we” going on, like it's referring to ALL the robot masters, not just Spark. It's not so much about just one robot master as it usually is. Anyway, whatever. It sounds good.

7. Walk Away from Light
This isn't a bad song, but it's definitely my least favorite song on the album. The lyrics are kinda boring, (join the dark side, we have cookies) and the Snake Man theme just doesn't sound as good when it's not the original. I definitely feel less inclined to sing along to it than to the other songs, but I don't know why. Also, the bridge is just kinda weak. The very ending of the song (like the last 4 seconds) also sounds just plain terrible, but a part that short is easy to forgive. Whatever, it's probably just me!

8. Gamma Unchained
My personal favorite song on this album. Finally, a slower, sadder song, but it's still as rockin' as ever. I LOVE the Gamma voice. I love how it begins with system activation in 3:02 minutes and then 3:02 minutes into the song, you hear Gamma say “all systems online” and he “activates” and it's neat. I LOVE the verse and the chorus and I love to sing both of them. The lyrics are pretty great because they get you to relate to Dr. Wily (the WORST character) and make his motives clearer. I also like I think that I heard the Red Song again/it wants revenge because it refers to Proto Man and his song. Great backup vocals, too. There's just so much emotion in this song and ugh, I love it. IT'S SO GOOD.

9. (I Want to be The One) To Watch You Die
This song is pretty heavy. I mean, yeah, Dr. Light, Dr. Wily ******** with your robots and s**t, but does he really deserve to die? And do you really want to WATCH him die? That's pretty ******** up. It sounds good, though, and I especially like the very beginning with the guitars. This song doesn't ******** around with getting started. I'm not the biggest fan of the bridge, but that chorus is pretty catchy and singable. Also damn, that fire at the end. This is definitely the most “emo rock” song on the album, and it's still good.

10. Continue
This song is pretty interesting. The “continue” theme is originally very upbeat and cheery. The Megas went and made it into a slow, sad ballad. I originally actually felt like the words didn't fit too great with it and it seemed unnatural, and maybe it is to a certain extent, but I'm used to it and I like it. I'm assuming the speaker is Roll, to Mega Man, and she's sympathizing with him and believing in him. It's nice. I like how it begins all quiet and then becomes rock-y without losing its feel. The song still has some of its cheeriness despite what they've done to it, so it's like it's saying, “yeah, things are shitty and hard, but I know that you'll never give up and there's still hope”. It's a pretty good way to end the album.

Top 3 fave songs on Blue: Gamma Unchained, History Repeating pt. 2, Don't Mess with Magnet Man  
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 8:34 pm
Red:

1. Fly on a Dog
So this is a REALLY strong beginning to the album. The little intro part is totes unnecessary, but at least it's not as long as the intros for some of their other songs. That chorus is catchy as ********. It is outstanding, even for The Megas. The lyrics are cool – they're both serious and occasionally silly (I can drive in a dog UNDERWATER!). Gotta love Mega Man's POV. That little part at the end, No shoulder to cry on a dog is the perfect, heart-wrenching end to this baller song. Now that I think of it, I MIGHT like this song even more than Gamma Unchained , my favorite track on Blue. At the very least, it's my favorite on Red. So yeah, best start to an album ever maybe.

2. Harder Than Steel

Oh man, I just realized that the beginning sounds kinda like “Eye of the Tiger”, which makes sense since Hard Man is like... a boxing champ in this song. There's also a Transformers reference in the lyrics, apparently... cool. It's got a good chorus – that harder than steeeel part's killer. The lyrics aren't extremely interesting, but whatever, it sounds good. Don't like the bridge/slower parts too much, and there's a bit too much of that IMO, and it kinda ruins an otherwise great song. Sounds fantastic apart from that, though. Especially the one part where the synths are crazy.

3. GeminEye
Gemini Man actually had my least favorite tune in MM3, but they took and made it into a pretty neat song. I like how there are two voices for one robot master, since he splits into two when you fight him in the game. The contrast between singers is nice. The private eye theme is kinda weird, but at least it's interesting. The storyteller/narrator/spoken part works pretty well, too - it actually reminds me of The Protomen. I'm not 100% sure EXACTLY what's going on in this song, but I have a pretty good idea. Again, it's kinda weird – the whole private eye theme and story has nothing to do with the game, really – but it's fun and it sounds nice.

4. The Haystack Principle

Needle Man's got one of my favorite original robot master themes, and they do it justice, for the most part. The chorus sounds great, and I find myself singing to it more than to the previous two songs, as well as getting it stuck in my head a LOT – it's catchy. I just don't love is the pre-chorus, because it's too slow and it kinda sounds awkward, but then the chorus comes and makes up for it, so yeah. There's also one part with higher-pitched vocals that bothers me slightly for some reason. Good lyrics. I like the throwback to Air Man on Get Equipped – it makes sense since you fight the Air Man Doc Robot on Needle Man's stage! His whole personality is reminiscent of Air Man's – he can't make friends or whatever because he repels people with his needle ability, just like Air Man with blowing people away. Also, Jessica Rabbit quote reference, yay.

5. Afraid of the Dark
This song is more of The Megas doing what they do best. They certainly do the original tune justice, and make it better. The one thing that annoys me is that the words are pretty unclear in this song – I HAD to read the lyrics for like, almost all of the song to know what they were saying. When you read what they are, though, they're pretty cool. Not much more than cool, though. I actually really like the bridge they added for this song (I usually don't like their bridges so much)! The guy singing “are you afraid of the dark” during that part IS kinda weird and creepy-sounding, but I don't mind all that much – it works. Also, this is probably just me, but the chorus slightly reminded me of a certain Maroon 5 song, which is probably a good sign.

6. The Red Song
Liek zomg, it's the “red song” they referred to in Blue. It sounds so eerie and awesome. The album takes a more serious tone from this point forward, so it's good that they decided to place it here. Not much else to say.

7. I'm Not the Break Man
This song is pretty dang sad, but it's still rockin' and fun to sing a long to. Poor Proto Man. Kinda random that's it's based on the song that plays after you beat a robot master and get a new weapon – I usually associate that tune with victory and feelin' gooood! It's nice how clear the lyrics are, especially since I can't actually find them anywhere online. The words are both interesting and easy to understand. It sounds good all-around in terms of instruments. The vocals are good except for when he says he tore my heart from my chest to give to you, because the to you is pronounced weird – but that's nitpicky. Also, I'm just gonna assume the whole “heart” thing is purely metaphorical because he didn't have his heart literally ripped out and given to Mega Man. He doesn't have a heart. Anyway., this is one of my fav songs on the album, words aside. And when it comes to music, the way it sounds is more important than the meaning, unless the meaning is awful.

8. Make Your Choice
It took me awhile to figure out what original MM3 tune this was based on, but after going and listening to the whole MM3 OST, I found it was actually TWO of the less-popular tunes found later on, around once you get to the Wily stages. So bravo to The Megas for doing two songs in one, as well as for giving attention to those under-appreciated tunes. Anyway, they REALLY take this one in their own direction, and it doesn't follow either one of the original tunes too closely, but they did a good job regardless. This song is awesome because Mega Man and Proto Man finally meet! Exciting! It's like The Megas' answer to “The Sons of Fate” by The Protomen, especially when they sing over each other. Also there's just a little bit of that Gamma voice I loved in Blue. I generally don't know WHO is speaking at any given point in the song, but love it regardless – great chorus, fun to sing to. Very emotional overall, and good!

9. I Refuse to Believe

Yaaay, The Megas finally made a (final) boss theme into a song! I don't really get exactly what's happening, though. and I can't find the lyrics ANYWHERE, but I like it. It's a great cover of that final boss theme as it is – it really does outshine the verse parts, though – those are kinda weak. The chorus sounds great, however! It's kinda empowering, listening to this machine (Mega Man, I think?) sing about how he believes he's more than a machine, for some reason. I feel like this song would be wicked live; it's got a little bit of a chorus already.

10. Melody from the Past
Ah yes, the slow ending ballad to finish off a rockin' album as always. I love how they end Red with the credits theme just as they did in Get Equipped. And this is like, the best end theme for any Mega Man game. They don't overcomplicate it, though they do add to it as always. I love how Josh starts off singing to the tune as it originally went without changing it at the beginning – it's just so beautiful and perfect as is, that it would seem kinda wrong if they added their own original stuff right off the bat. It changes more after the first chorus, but that's fine, or else it would become sorta boring. It helps them create their own more haunting mood, too. The lyrics are heart-wrenching and sad (and clear, yay!), completely exposing the mysterious robot's feelings – and it's not tough to see this POV being canon, either. Vocals and instruments are consistently lovely. Just fantastic. It's not my favorite (slow, sad songs tend not to be), but at the same, I couldn't have really asked for more of a Megas cover of that song.

Top 3 fave songs on Red: Fly on a Dog, I'm Not the Breakman, Make Your Choice  

old jazzy

Amorous Fatcat

Meta_Fish
Captain

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 9:50 am
Very nice review. :3 I was thinking of doing something like it but thought it might be TOO ASSPIE.

Also Melody from the Past is da best.  
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 10:02 am
Meta_Fish
Very nice review. :3 I was thinking of doing something like it but thought it might be TOO ASSPIE.

Also Melody from the Past is da best.

YOU'RE ******** ASSPIE I WAS BORED OK. NOT ME. IF THAT'S WHO I AM THEN I'LL FIGHT WHO I AM.

Which CD do you think I like better because I still don't know ;w;  

old jazzy

Amorous Fatcat

The Gallery

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas