Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

old jazzy

Amorous Fatcat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:15 am
Link to the Link

So this video came out a few days ago and I feel that it's controversial enough for us to have AN ACTUAL DISCUSSION THREAD FOR ONCE OMG.

One thing that really bothers me about this is how he keeps referring to the original Zelda as though it's like a perfect masterpiece, but doesn't acknowledge the fact that it gives SO little direction that there are parts where YOU JUST HAVE TO KNOW what to do, and the vast majority of people would have NO idea without the helps of a Nintendo Power/walkthrough, WHICH IS AN ACTUAL PROBLEM. A much bigger problem than being given directions in Ocarina of Time, IMO. Believe me, I've played through all of Zelda 1 and have seen ALL of the bullshit. It was like impossible to do without a walkthrough. The game only becomes enjoyable when you have some kind of idea of what to do instead of just walking around aimlessly for what will probably be forever because how are you supposed to just know about the secrets?

I mean, some of the things he complains about are so nitpicky that I wouldn't have even thought to complain of them because they weren't annoying at all. Did the issues he brings up about OoT actually make anyone else here rage like him? The little moments of waiting in the game really aren't a big deal, and he just kinda sounds like an impatient baby at times. I kinda liked the tension it created when an enemy only had certain moments when it was open to attack. Also the chest-opening thing only happens for chests that contain something exciting, and even then, WHO CARES? That's such a tiny little thing to complain about. Omg you can't access EVERY PLACE IN THE GAME immediately before doing something to open it up first, like Death Mountain? Wow, that's only how it is in like almost every game ever! And personally, I liked running the little errands. It's better than in Zelda 1 where there's a very specific wall you have to bomb with NO indication that it's bombable, or a very specific tree that you have to burn OUT OF A MILLION ******** TREES. But that's just me.

I mean, out of all of the issues that he brought up with OoT that I found to be actually annoying, there's the bats (which aren't that bad, there are never THAT many at once, you might get hurt slightly but whatever) and the things that you can't see from every angle, which can generally be handled if you just take your time and look around rather than being an impatient babby. AND IS IT REALLY SO BAD TO HAVE A STORY? So there's a sense of purpose behind what you're doing, so that players can get emotionally invested? He sounds like he's five years old.

I did enjoy seeing Skyward Sword get a bit rekt, but I think he could bring up a lot more (and better) points about why it's kinda bad in some ways than he did in this video. ninja Plus he kept focusing on the one boss with the glowing eye. I don't really think having one boss with an obvious weakness makes a game bad or not fun (nor does having an idea of what the boss might be vulnerable to based on the tool you got was, btw). There are a lot of other bosses and they aren't all like that. I'd say a bigger problem is having to fight The Imprisoned THREE TIMES with slight differences.

As for ALttP, I haven't played enough to comment on it.

Side note: WTF is with that SADX footage? Nothing weird like that has ever happened to me, probably because there's no real reason to do anything but just run forward at that part. o_o

This video is presented really well but the content is kinda just like *fart noise*  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:45 am
There are some people out there that think the original Legend of Zelda is a masterpiece and then there are the rest of us. A lot of that stems from the fact that they were kids when they first played it and through word of mouth or Nintendo Power/Nintendo Hotline they would learn about how to actually play the game. They felt smart when they "realized" something or when they could show someone to bomb a certain wall. The same way that some of us feel smart finding a warp whistle or hidden coin block in a Mario game. Except in LOZ it's the entire game.

The waiting can be annoying in OoT (the Zora King) but it's really no worse or better than any other game of that era or this one. He misses the point of not being able to access certain areas in the original game because you don't have items. He mentions that you can see Death Mountain in OoT but you can't go to it. You can't see s**t in the original so you can't want to go there. It's just a ******** maze with unmarked walls you have to bomb.

He complained about Z-targeting too which was a little ridiculous. Sure, it's not perfect and waiting for enemies to attack so you can attack can be annoying but it's a deeper combat system than the previous games.

He had some validish points but as with his other videos, he's just arguing for the game he likes more with pretty flimsy statements. I feel like he mostly wants to be contrarion to popular opinion, especially because he made such a big deal about how everyone would hate him for it. I'd have to watch it again to see what there was I agreed with, though.

And yeah, he just likes to try to break games to make them look bad. If you turn around or ******** around in Sonic games it's not hard to find that.

The biggest takeaway is that it's just a change in game design that was needed to move into 3D and a change in game design that was needed because games didn't need to be 100% cryptic to extend playtime, but could instead just let you do things and enjoy a story. He doesn't like that. Boo hoo.

I think LttP is a great middleground between new and old Zelda. You can still explore vastly but it Metroids it up by gating you off from certain areas until you have the items you need. At the same time, it's not so cryptic that you can spend hours upon hours with no idea of what to do.  

Meta_Fish
Captain

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:35 pm
I watched that video the whole way through when it came out and I was kinda filled with regret. I don't think there's been a particularly good sequelitis since the megaman one. Probably because ti was the last time it lined up with my views and people get a weird pleasure out of having their views confirmed by people who are internet famous.

There were a lot of points where I felt like his reasoning was flimsy or just came from a dumb place, like from being INCREDIBLY impatient, and from the perspective of someone who has like... distanced themselves completely from any sense of exploration and discovery they had in their first playthrough.

One point I can think of that he was really inconsistent on was like... his praising of the iron knuckle, where he said the whole game should be like that. And how he loved how it required you to be aware of your surroundings. And in the same video he moans about how you cannot see everything in the rooms at once like you can if the game is from a top down perspective. Specifically I'm talking about how he complained that he had trouble keeping track of the spinning spike blocks in the ice cavern.

It's like... seriously? Maybe you should try to REMAIN AWARE OF YOUR SURROUNDINGS.

And I just don't get the hate for Skyward Sword. I enjoyed the game. Maybe I should play through it again. It had it's problems, I'll admit. But I don't think the problems I had with skyward sword are ht ones egoraptor had. Like... It's obvious to me that when they made the game, they developed their lore and story first. BIG MISTAKE. Deciding it had to be all about people who ride birds would have been fine, if you had made a game where the birds had to do with more than 10% of the game, but you didn't! That's just like an "oh well," sort of thing. the skyloft hub area is full of so much wasted space and potential it makes me wanna scream inside. The game delivered one aerial boss battle as I recall. One. NOT ENOUGH FOR A GAME ABOUT BIRD RIDING PEOPLE WHO LIVE ABOVE MAGICAL CLOUDS.

As a zelda game, though, it's great. BUT IT COULD HAVE BEEN MORE. Hating it for not being more similar to old installments is, in my opinion. Something a dumb person would do. I GUESS I'M SAYING EGORAPTOR IS DUMB. Funny guy though. Great animator. Dumb as a sack of rocks. The tumbled kind you pay a fortune for that are all dyed and they have them at every souvenir store, everywhere you go. What does this have to do with the vacation you just took? you could buy these rocks anywhere. You probably could a ordered a bag of geodes on amazon for half as much. You are one dumb ********. Good job egoraptor. You are rocks.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:09 am
[Kegan]
As a zelda game, though, it's great. BUT IT COULD HAVE BEEN MORE. Hating it for not being more similar to old installments is, in my opinion. Something a dumb person would do. I GUESS I'M SAYING EGORAPTOR IS DUMB. Funny guy though. Great animator. Dumb as a sack of rocks. The tumbled kind you pay a fortune for that are all dyed and they have them at every souvenir store, everywhere you go. What does this have to do with the vacation you just took? you could buy these rocks anywhere. You probably could a ordered a bag of geodes on amazon for half as much. You are one dumb ********. Good job egoraptor. You are rocks.

Lmao, Keegz...  

Paper Sonic

Hilarious Lunatic

Sir Codin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:19 pm
Oh, thank God, I'm glad I'm not the only person here who thinks this guy is full of s**t.  
The Gallery

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games