Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
I saw this in the GD: About Death and Jesus

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

If the one you idolize died, and then 3 days later came back to life, what would you do?
  Start Screaming "The dead walk the earth!"
  Get Freaked out and hide.
  Still follow him, and idolize him.
  Say to him/her "Cool Trick! Do that again!"
  Give him the last muffin in the world.
  Steal the last muffin in the world, and hide to enjoy it in peace.
  Stab him/her with a sword.
  Blow his/her head off with a gun.
  Pie? (Pollwhore option)
View Results

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:51 am
A person made a thread and this is what he wrote:

"Okay. So the basic fundamental of Christianity is that Jesus died for our sins.

Jesus, being GOD went to Hell for three days where he kicked Satan's a**, stole the keys to death and Hell and rose after three days.

Man, three days to make a corpse run? I usually get back my s**t from a dungeon in the next hour or so. And I'm pretty sure Jesus had a bad connection. Three days to respawn? Lag, lol. He should get a T1 or T3 line, I mean he is GOD, right?

Okay, but theatrics and humor aside, I say that if the preceeding is true, then Jesus did, in fact, cop out of his duty to die for our sins.

Now don't be offended by this, I have no vendetta against Christ, Christianity or Religion in general, I actually try and live my life by Jesus' words and teachings because he had some really good ideas, and they deserve some consideration and application to life.

First, what is it about Death that scares us so much? Its finality. We hold that once you die, there's no return to the world of the living.

We do all we can to stave off death, improving our own health and increasing the Average Human Life Span are the purpose of doctors and researchers.

Scientists try to improve the quality of our lives for what reason? If we are to live on after we die, what is the point in not accepting our own inevitable biological function?

This is why I have a problem with the Ressurection of Christ. You see, our views of Death are that it is a state of finality. I would Accept Christianity if Jesus had stayed dead, but no, he just got back up, after three days and said. "My job here is done, blah blah blah" And the Disciples are like "Dude, I thought you died for our sins?" And Jesus simply replies, "I did, lol"

Me? I'd be like "Dude, the what the ******** are you doing here?" "Are you like, ZombieJesus or something?"

But do you get what I'm saying? At all?"

This wasn't written by me ok! I did think it was highly amusing, and mildy interesting.

So the question is this: Do you think Death is Finate?

And: Does this guy have a point?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:03 am
I can kinda see where he's trying to go with the argument.
The resurrection also served to show that he wasn't just a man.
EDIT- I think it was also foretold that he would rise again. I'm not sure and I can't really find anything x.x

A lot of people have already looked at Jesus as a potential teacher/etc but not a divine being. So the kind of thinking here isn't off or unusual, it's just the thing the author's trying to use to disprove it doesn't really make sense.

And yes, to answer your other question, I think death is final. If it isn't, I guess I'll just have to find out the hard way. ^^  

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200

Superior Jazz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:22 am
I have some people I can query about this particular subject... I shall go ask them. Perhaps they might know...  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:37 pm
I am still kind of confused on what I think of death and all. I don't really have a for-sure view on what will happens when we all die. I am pretty much living in the present, and when death comes for me, I will find out what happens when I die (I sort of have a view, but it involves complicatedness and demons and all). Anyways, I hate the whole "Jesus rose from the dead" thing...It provides so many contradictions, and it basically impossible, and annoying.  

Rune WolfHaven

Taylr752

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:20 pm
heres what I never understond how can someone be god and his son at the same time.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:19 pm
lol. GD...

More to the point...

LinkinPark7
heres what I never understond how can someone be god and his son at the same time.

That's because Jesus is a part of the Holy Trinity, which encompasses God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit. Though God is recognized as the central figure of the Trinity, the other two are seen as extentions of himself. Like God's right and left hands, if you will. They are a part of God, but they aren't necessarily God. Like your hands are part of you, but people don't look at your left hand and say "Oh, that's LinkinPark7!".

Sanguvixen
Snippy Snip

Cool beans cool

As a Daoist, I view death as merely the removal of the distraction of life. It allows one to fully focus on the pursuit of the Subtle Essence of the Universe. However, it is our experiences in life that create the foundation for our journey into the Core Essence of the Universe, so I'm not going anywhere just yet heart  

subtleessence134

aguave.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:51 pm
subtleessence134

As a Daoist, I view death as merely the removal of the distraction of life. It allows one to fully focus on the pursuit of the Subtle Essence of the Universe.

Taoist
heart

this is how I veiw death as well, currently.
I look forward to this change.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:38 am
Quote:
"Heaven is the creation of our deepest fears and greatest sense in false hope"
-forgot the philosopher's name

Quote:
don't believe in an afterlife, so I don't have to spend my whole life fearing hell, or fearing heaven even more. For whatever the tortures of hell, I think the boredom of heaven would be even worse.
-Isaac Asimov

I believe that Death is the final point of our life. Heaven and Hell is just a clever ruse to convince people to go to church which I find that Religion is the biggest scam in human history (but I digress). The guy makes some sense in a twisted way but you just have to use some critical thinking and analyze what is the message he is trying to get across.  

Lesilrok

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:56 am
Death is just death though isn't it?

I don't understand why people fear it. It is something that is naturally occuring, and it is bound to happen sooner or later.

The only thing to fear of death, is not death itself...but what causes it, or the suffering that might come before a body dies.

To me though...we are dead what a dead bird is lying on the ground. Food for the worms and flies. When we die, we decompose and that is it.

I do not know if we really have souls or not. Why worry though? Why worry so much about what happens after death? For it to be so uncertain it makes more sense to enjoy life to the fullest, and not worry about such trivial things as "where the so called "Soul" goes to after it leaves the body."

Humans have been observing the death of other living things since the beginning. They didn't like the idea of finite death. To die, and be forgotton.

So first they began to build graves for the fallen. In time they built a delusion that humans are above everything else...and created a religion to cater to that idea. So now...thanks to a big fat delusion...millions of people pray to imaginary beings in a vain attempt to find continuity after they die.

The part of Jesus's Story...where he comes back to life/resurrections/becomes a living zombie(whatever the hell you want to call it)....that just defeats the validity of the entire thing.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:17 pm
I completely agree here. I guess all the people who died while Jesus was actually dead were the only ones who got to be forgiven, then. surprised

Besides, especially after three days, the effects of algor, rigor, and livor mortis, decomposition, lack of embalming, the cause of death, and/ or trauma would've made it pretty damn hard for Jesus to walk around, much less be ressurected. Besides, I don't think he had much blood left, either.

shinobikun
Quote:
don't believe in an afterlife, so I don't have to spend my whole life fearing hell, or fearing heaven even more. For whatever the tortures of hell, I think the boredom of heaven would be even worse.
-Isaac Asimov

Reminds me of an episode of "The Twilight Zone." xd

Syrenka

DivideByZero14

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:05 pm
I see it as our job to live, to survive, as a race. Life's very purpose is to recreate itself and spread. That's why life was/is so successful. Our purpose is to do as much as possible to aid the survival of humanity. Anything that extends useful lifespan or prevents death is generally good. Things that kill and reduce lifespan are generally bad.

The scariest part is, the only problem I have with murder is that it is inefficient to train and teach a child for 20 years only to have them murdered without putting a penny of that debt back into society. That's why I have no problem with embryonic stem cell research: production of infants takes nearly no societal resources, merely reducing the efficiency and increasing the food intake of one woman for nine months.

(About Jesus's resurrection, I place analyzing the feasibility of that fable on the level of trying to figure out how Harry Potter's wand works.)  
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games